How do you do Christmas Cards in July?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Question: How do you get your Holiday cards done in the summer? I'm thinking that making them or buying standard cards in January is the only way you can get the cards done that early.

I'd really like to send Photo Cards someday but if I did them in summer I'd have a sunny background in my Holiday photo - I'd prefer it to be Christmas'y. But then if I wait for the seasons to change, I can't get the darn enevelopes to address in advance.

This is my BIG hold-up for me over the holidays. Ugh! How do you other summer elves do it?

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
I have made all my cards this Christmas. I worked to assemble the cards all summer long and then I'd decorate an envelope, add postage and then set them aside. I don't send my cards out until after Dec. 1st and by then I have a pile of handmade cards that I can add a short note to and a picture. By having the cards and envelopes all decorated, this is a time saver for me and I just grab my box of cards and then around Thanksgiving I take them out and address each while watching tv.
I find that even the small steps like having the postage already on an envelope is a huge time saver and I get lots of comments from friends and family regarding how they think I used so much time to make these and in reality a little here and a little there does the trick.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Wadealle --- please - please "talk us though it" with you - this coming summer! It sounds so lovely the way you describe it. Like it is something pleasant to do..... that would be SO nice. Lots and lots of fun things to look forward to in 2010!!!!

Last edited:

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Yes Allison please tell us step by step how you do it. Maybe you could start a thread when you start and keep updating on it so we can learn & follow.

Sparklenana 2020??? LOL just kidding with you. I often make LOTS of typos.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Girlsinmo.... LOL! Yep, a typo. Looking forward to 2020....... a ten-year plan....... interesting idea.......

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
hahahahahahahaha
You girls are just too funny!

Sure, when I get ready to begin my Christmas cards, I will start a thread and describe how I do them.

For me, sending Christmas cards IS a special joy. I lived with my grandparents during my high school years and my Gram loved to out do herself every year to send out more cards each Christmas. She'd grumble if she sent out 50 and then only received a dozen but every year she still sent them to people who never reciprocated. She did it every Christmas of her life and her last Christmas when she was 82, she sent out about 100 cards that year. Every card was hand addressed and hand signed too because Gram was very opinionated about the fine art of neat handwriting. She's been gone about 8 years now but I try to honor her by following her traditions. Last year I sent out about 60 cards, and this year I need to beat that number!! I am already at 45 including all the cards for the MHH swap. Woo-Hoo!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Wadeallie - What a wonderful way to honor your grandmother. She sounds like a very special lady.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I used to make mine as well, but in more recent years I have started buying cards for the next Christmas in late December or at "day after Christmas" sales.

Hobby Lobby had all Christmas items 50% off this week - which is all they had things discounted the day after Christmas last year - so I went ahead and just bought things now.

Christmas Cards were already getting picked over - but I found some really pretty ones I loved for next year!

I'll start working on them late summer/early fall - waiting to put on postage till the last minute in case an address changes or some other change occurs that will change how I address the envelope.

I have seen tons of photo type Christmas cards still available in stores. I would watch for a good deal and pick them out now - then you have your envelopes in hand. You could even sign the insides.

Just slip the photo in at the last... :)

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I've gotten some seriously beautiful (yet simple) cards this year with slip-in photos. These were homemade. Don't think I've seen pre-printed ones with slip in slots so will keep an eye out. That would be a wonderful solution. If I were to dream of ever actually pulling the cards together in July, how do you easily make all those little slits for the photos? You you painstakingly measure and slice each one or is there an easier way?

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
Did the cards have just slits to fit pictures in, or were they more like a window? If they were like a window, there are card blanks available in craft stores with the window already cut..or you can buy a punch and then punch your own "windows" on your choice of card stock.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
The ones I've seen have slits on the upper left and lower right. The photo slips into the slits. I was contemplating how long it would take me to measure out all those slits.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
You girls should think about doing a homemade cards swap in july. Everyone make a certain number, send them to one local and the 'hostess' can divvy them up and send them out in prepaid packaging. Like a cookie swap. I\m in Canada where postage to US is very dear and slow or I would offer.
I usually just buy cheap(but pretty)cards after Christmas!

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
Cindylou: There's an easy way to add photos to card fronts. Just get a package of the photo 'corners' like what people used in old scrapbooks back in the day. Packages of those are very inexpensive and can be glued in placed to put the photo on the front of a card. Use a decorative paper on the card front and the photo corners and pop the picture in when you are ready.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I'm getting ideas here!

I ususally do the Snapfish photo card ... at about $27.

But if I go get after Christmas sale pretty cards, and insert a photo with the photo corners ... what a deal! To get prints are like ... what, .19 cents or something!?

Thanks!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Every year I say I'm going to make my cards and every year...I don't....lol....There are just so many pretty ones at the day after Christmas sales that I have given up the need to make my own...and time is something that I'm always short of...I do however, sign the cards ahead of time and address the envelopes...then when its time to send them....I slip in the letter and stick on the stamp...

I would like to make some party invitations though...since I only need a few of those opposed to my card list....and the stamp set I bought is also cool for making gift cards for packages...hmmm.....so we will see.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
OK!! I just got back from Wal-mart where I got great cards for 50% off! I spent $3 on 64 cards! Then I'll take our yearly family photo and insert it into the blank side with the cute photo corners! It'll be cute and ... cheaper than my Snapfish. Although, I like the Snapfish cute cards ... but with hubby being cut back at work and the economy ... this will do just fine.

Always love the ideas I get from here!

I also got the wrapping paper .... 4 rolls of 90 Ft. for $5.

There was still a lot to choose from three days after Christmas at Wal-mart. I am not the one who us at the "after Christmas" sales the day after Christmas. Shopping with crowds are not my thing. But today, was fine at the store. I can handle a nice quiet store! LOL

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I was also going to make mine this next year, but also found some great cards at target. I like the retro fill and colors, so it was just so much easier to buy them. I've even got my inserts already printed and ready to go for next year. GO me!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I just read through this thread. I have my Christmas cards gathered in ONE place. For me -- workingon Christmas cards during our "Christmas In July" celebration -- would be great! It would also be a good time to get the addresses/emails/etc. up to date.

I ALSO read through some other threads from last year -- and by early November, I was feeling like time was speeding past! July has traditionally been my LEAST favorite month! (Like many of you, I do not like intense heat and humidity!)

What do you think?

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I'm with you Sparklenana.