How is your pantry, freezer, and holiday "stash"?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
We did our BIG stores shop on Saturday evening. It was very busy still when we arrived, but emptied out while we were there in terms of loads of trollies to get through. But that also meant that a good few of the shelves had been emptied as well. So while we got a lot of what we wanted, we didn't get everything. (And we ran out of space for proper stocking up on wine and beer too).

And after doing a lot of eating from the freezer last week, I put a new batch of spaghetti sauce in there yesterday.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
My pantries and downstair freezer are clean. (need to the refrigerator freezer). Started freezing things: - spaghetti sauce, chili, Tourtière... will start baking next weekend.

Bought dry staples needed for Christmas.

... Shaping up well!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I bought all my baking needs in October. I do have a big container of vegetable soup in the freezer and a thing of chili. The rest is just convenience items, some of which have been in there for a while. I need to clean out my freezer and rearrange my refrigerator as well. Maybe i'll add that to my list this week. I really need to go through the cabinets and clear those out. There is so much stuff in there that we haven't touched and it's been in there for a good while. I need to check expirations dates and plan meals with the things in there.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I started buying things for the holidays this weekend. I got all the appetizer ingredients, a few cake mixes and cans of frosting, dried fruit (to add to the cake mixes, for appetizers and for snacking), the dry ingredients for my dressing along with two extra cartons of chicken broth, the canned green beans and some other veggies for holiday meals and even the cream cheese for the cake and appetizers for Thanksgiving. Everything is stashed inthe bottom of the pantry in it's own little "do not touch" cubby hole.

I think I'm going to go ahead and get the stuff for my Christmas Eve meal started this week. I've changed the menu so it'll be easy to stock up on canned items-from Italian food to soup, due to time restraints. That's a subject for another thread!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I added a batch of frozen cookie dough to the deep freeze over the weekend.

I also added some more slow roasted, shredded chicken and some celery I chopped up and threw in a bag.

I like to have raw celery and carrots on hand in the freezer to pull out for making soups, casseroles and even chicken stock.

Speaking of which, I plan to make up another batch of that tonight! Yum!

I really need to count how many pounds of butter I have stashed away in the freezer! I may have enough for baking this year - I don't know. And I may or may not need to buy more flour.

An inventory is definitely needed!

My focus over the next few weeks will be getting the majority of my cookie dough for the year made up and stored in the freezer.

It would be such a load off my mind!

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
Me and my mom went to Kmart today. They had Honeysuckle White turkeys on sale for 59cents a pound with $25 dollar purchase and a coupon for $5 off a $50 grocery purchase. So we got the turkey, some canned goods and other pantry staples both for the Thanksgiving meal as well as just stocking the pantry with often used items. :friendly:

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I had intended making a batch of scones for breakfast on Sunday (the IL's were visiting). But the cream I thought was going sour actually wasn't and, bad housewife confession, I had almost no milk so none to spare. But I had already weighed out the flour AND ADDED the SALT. So I couldn't put it back in the bag. I also didn't get time to make pastry to make an apple pie for desert.

So the flour was still sitting in the bowl last night after dinner. And the stewed apples were all eaten, and we don't eat scones during the week.

So I added butter and sugar to make a crumble topping mix, (a VERY large batch), and put that into the freezer. That will make some nice, fast, deserts for the visitors I expect we'll see over the holidays - just add some fruit underneath and the spice that matches the fruit (cinnamon and nutmeg for apples, ginger for rhubarb, or I might even try peaches and some amaretti biscuit crumbs).