How to store your bedsheets

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I love the bird clothes pins on that site.

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
My mom always did this, because with six kids in the house, she didn't have time to look for coordinating stuff. We learned to fold and put away the sheets inside the pillowcase so that we could just grab a set and go make beds. I taught it to my boys. It's certainly not a new idea --- but I wouldn't spend the extra time to foo-foo the linen closet like that. LOL.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I store my sheets in a pillow case like that, but mine aren't that neat nor do I have a nice linen closet to put them in.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I remember reading this in the Martha book Simple Home Solutions, I actually liked it so much - I bought it :) A rare thing for me - I usually just borrow this type of book.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I've never thought of this..Great idea TFS

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I don't have a linen closet, or a coat closet--didn't even have a bedroom closet until we remodeled. Darn old houses and their lack of such storage spots. I do have some of those wardrobe/closet type storage units in our garage that have shelves on one side and hanging space on the other. Since our extra linens have to be kept in the garage (yuck) I keep each set inside giant XXL size ziploc bags I found at Dollar Tree.

priyandy

Retire Member
Dec 26, 2012
You be able to identify what size sheets you have…but you’ll have a much easier time figuring out which end of the fitted sheet goes on the foot of the bed.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I have always folded mine and placed the set inside a pillow case. Size isn't a major issue because they are stored in the room that they belong in. I've always done it this way because my kids never threw up or wet unless it was the middle of the night and I didn't want to wake the whole house up to find a replacement set of bed linens. I'm a firm believer in putting things where you will need them and use them.

I guess that's why I never understood meds being stored in the "medicine cabinet" in the bathroom when in fact 99% of meds will need to be washed down with water from the kitchen. Or why all the new homes have the laundry room off of the kitchen when in fact I've never changed clothes or bedding in the kitchen. I had my house plans revised and put my laundry room between the bedrooms and bathrooms, where the dirty laundry is generated and the clean laundry is repaced.

Reactions: jampss

Woman

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Fallsington, Pa
blankets

I know this site is about sheets but what about blankets-I have a lot of quilts and blankets that I need to store in the basement because I don't have the space upstairs-I live in a house that is about 150 years old so no big closets-has anyone ever used the space bags to store stuff in-do they work-are they worth the money-where did you buy them-thanks for you help-glenda

:rudolph:

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
I have used the space bags and they do work well. I have had a problem with them getting holes in them. They aren't cheap and I have had to throw away 2 of them (Big ones). But to be fair, we stored one of them under the bed and it got caught on the bed frame (this is a really LOW bed). I forgot how the other one got a hole in it....but it was my fault.

You just have to store them where they wont get "poked" by anything.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I've found the same problem with the space bags. They would get holes in them. I will say this was many years ago. I also used the big ziploc bags for storage. I found they ripped at the zips. But if you are careful I think either would work.

If I went back to using the space bags I'd store them in a plastic tote with a tight fitting lid. The ones with the lid attached that folds to each side are not good for storage. If something leaks on top of them it goes right into the tote.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We also lack storage space in the bedrooms and closets for the extra sheets sets and blankets. In our basement I have totes - one for each bed and keep the extra sheets, blankets and comforters in them.