How was your Halloween?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lou

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
How was your halloween?

I had a great evening! We had lots of trick or treaters and I have very little candy left (that's a good thing!).

My son, his girlfriend and some of their friends came over to help me hand out candy and make caramel apples. I made some potato cheese soup for dinner--they loved it! No one egged my house or smashed my pumpkin. We had the most adorable little ones show up. So much fun!!!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
We had a great night. We had 5 kids come from the surrounding farms that are close by just before 6:00. We got ready and headed into town to do our trick or treating. It was much warmer than expected. There is usually snow here by now. The kids had fun and got lots of treats. My 11yo was getting tired and wanted to go home, but his sister wanted to keep going!! They came home and dumped out all of their loot and started making trades!! My son said it felt weird to go to stranger's houses and ask for candy. I had to laugh at that!!

Another great Halloween!!! :jack:

:hat: Melanie

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
We had a great night. I did a party for my & year old daughter and some of her school friends. They all dressed up and we played some games, there was plenty of screaming and shouting so I'm sure they all had a great time.

Can't wait to do it all again next year.

:jack:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Good here too. Addison is only 15 (almost 16 months) but really got into trick or treating. Then she developed a case of the miss independentitis and it was downhill from there. Samuel, my 5 year old, fell and broke his mask, which thoroughly upset him. But he got over it very quickly when I told him you can't trick or treat and cry or you have to go home. LOL We had lots of trick or treaters, I was handing out handfuls of candy to try and get rid of it but we still have some left.

HotMama

MHH Member
Oct 31, 2007
:hat:

We had a lovely halloween. Thankyou.

My husband had thought I had gone a little crazy when he pulled up outside and saw all the decorations, especially as uor home was the only one decorated.lol.

He walked in to find lots of goodies on the table, chicken drumsticks, chips, sausage and bacon rolls and I made a special cake (chocolate of course) and decorated it with little pumpkins. My Kids 5 and 2 years, were a bit skeptical of what was taking place, but they enjoyed the meal.

Afterwards we answered the door to tirick & treaters (Most were teenagers looking for money) . Then we played apple dunking and Mr Skeleton where is your bone. Then here came the best bit. We all wrapped daddy in toilet paper and he chased us around the house pretending to be a mummy. It was great fun. We ended the night watching the Winnie The Pooh Halloween Movie, just right for our kids to watch.

They didnt seem to get what was going on, but we enjoyed the night, maybe next year they will be up to going around the houses themselves, but I didnt want to push the issue as they were very nervous.

Here in the UK we dont place much empasis on Halloween like our lovely USA ladies do. The Children are more interested in the night before (MISCHIEF NIGHT). What a terible night this is. Do you have this in america?? This is when theyn create as much havoc as possible for anyone. I would rather celebrate Halloween in style with the kids.............

Hotmama I have never heard of "Mischief night" here in the US but I know some families who have mischief night every night :haha: !!!

We too did not have any smashed pumpkins, shaving cream, or broken eggs anywhere in sight. Back in NY the streets were always covered with them.

We trick or treated the night away. We had our huge blow up Pirate Winnie the Pooh that lights up for all the trick or treaters to see. By our front Door I had a blanket draped over some boxes and put our dancing skeleton up there with a basket of treats while we trick or treated. I was surprised when we came back home there was STILL candy left. So needless to say we have a TON of candy left over. The boys have their first round of their baseball tournaments tonight so I might make some goody bags for the teams!!!

dejavu

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
Chicago suburbs, Illinois
It was fun! We had a pretty good amount of trick-or-treaters, although I think we had more in the past. I had a few decorations in the yard, my favorite being the skeleton head (w/motion sensor) that moves its eyes back and forth and says "I SEE YOU!! WHERE ARE YOU GOING???" I also have the screaming, cackling doormat hidden under my normal one and that surprises most kids. I decked myself out in my witch costume and rigged a monster with a wiggling hand in the candy cauldron that would wiggle when I reached in to grab candy for the kids.

Our last trick-or-treaters came at 7:10pm, much earlier than in the past, but a good thing for us. I made cream of chicken soup for dinner, then we had a graveyard dessert to finish off the night. :jack:

So today, I put away all the fun Halloween things, make a list for what I want to do next year (same and/or different) and get geared up for my favorite, Christmas! :bigsnow: (I know, Thanksgiving is first :turkey: , but I only dress up the dining room table for that one.)

jyclassy

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
I was at work so I wasn't involved in any trick or treating. We DH and I aren't party people and really haven't done anything for Halloween since the kids have left.(empty nesters here):-( I'm glad it's over with tho so we can concentrate more on Thanksgiving(favorite holiday) and Christmas. Matter of fact I haven't noticed in our area, any smashed pumpkins, or damaged mailboxes like last year. All-in-all, pretty quiet. As we live a bit in theoutskirts of town, we don't get trick or treater unless the GK's come over but they usually have their own parties going on. Looking forward to Thanksgiving. :turkey:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
A little disappointing. The door bell rang once. DH answered but didn't say much so I didn't come down. Turned out to by our cute little neighbors. I wanted photos of them so I missed out. They were our only Trick or Treater too. I'm sending the rest of the candy to dh work so it'll be out of the house.

java elf

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Ohio
tarachapman.blogspot.com
We had a fun day...McDonald's for lunch and then a foamy halloween craft in the afternoon. Had pumpkin cutout PB&J sandwiches for supper, since it had to be quick. Then the kids had a blast trick-or-treating. DD3 and DS5 are finally getting big enough to do this without getting tired out after 10 houses...they rocked the candy this year!!! And the neighbors were so impressed with the orange milk jug luminaries. I had so much fun this year.

mom24hr7dz

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
We also had a great evening. The weather here was great and I gave out big candy bars I bought 80 and gave all those out plus I bought 4 more bags of little candy bars and skittles. I went through all that to. We had a good time going out trick or treating for about a hour and my ds got a bag full of candy. Everyone kept giving him hands full cause we went the last hour. Then we came home and had hot apple cider that I had warming up in the crock pot and we had chilli and chocolate chip cookies for dessert. Then ds sorted through his candy and we all watched spookest house special I had taped that was on HGTV. It was a fun night had by all.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
We had a great night, too. Our friends joined us for chili, cheesedip and yellow sheet cake with chocolate icing, then we hit the streets! The kids got buckets of candy. Our big boys, my DS14 and friends' DS13 walked along, claiming to be too big to trick or treat. One neighbor told them she had big boy candy, so they got a pretty good handful, as well!

We didn't have a single trick or treater at our house! Of course we were gone for about 2 hours, but we were home before and after!

The highlight was my 11 month old nephew as a puppy dog! He got so excited when his mom and dad put him down and let him walk between them. So cute!!!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Oh-I forgot to say--re: the skeleton head that is motion activated and says "Hey-where are you going?" and "I'm watching you"-they had one of those in the restroom at Curves-about scared the liver out of me the first time I went in there!!! It's a male voice and Curves is all women.....ooohhh, spooky!!!

Cathymac said:
The highlight was my 11 month old nephew as a puppy dog! He got so excited when his mom and dad put him down and let him walk between them. So cute!!!
That reminds me of my oldest son's first Halloween. He was 9 1/2 months old and running around in a lion costume and people were looking at me in shock :eek: hehe... He was walking (even up and down stairs) by himself since he was 8 months old. So to see this little one walk up to the doors in his costume without me holding his hand shocked the whole neighborhood. I kept the lion costume, it was too cute to give up!!!

qltmrkt

Premiere Member
Hotmama I have never heard of "Mischief night" here in the US but I know some families who have mischief night every night :haha: !!!

I grew up in a NW Philadelphia suburb back in the 60's and 70's and we had "mischief night" every year. I moved away to go to college and never moved back so I don't know if they do it still or not. But boy did we have fun back then. It was mostly for anyone too old to trick or treat but young enough not to know better :D We would go around the night before Halloween and soap people's windows, egg their cars, and tp the trees. Just causing mischief. I remember one house that was about 2 blocks from ours where a retired couple lived. They had a camera set up that took a picture every 10 seconds or so out the living room window. It was probably just a box that flashed every 10 seconds to make us think they were trying to catch us. My dad would pay my brothers to NOT go out on that night but to sit outside on the front porch and keep people away. It was probably their own friends they were watching for ! I think they were pretty mad at me because I went out and they didn't get too. I don't think dad trusted them too much.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I spent Halloween in a hotel, hours from home and my family (work training). I love the program, just wish it wasn't on Halloween.

Too top it off, my DH forgot to take picutres of our boys!! :(

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Halloween photos even taken a few day after Halloween still preserve the memories. Get that camera and costumes out today.