HP- Week 40

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Welcome to week 40 of The Happiness Project. This month we will be working on the subject of: Be Serious About Play. Last week we tackled: Find More Fun, this week we add: Take Time to Be Silly. Corresponding pages: 126-127.

Gretchen realized that her mind was constatly taken over with running to-do lists.

One day after a major grocery shopping trip, when the family was putting away the groceries, her husband grabbed three oranges and began to juggle them. Their two daughters were thrilled. Gretchen was annoyed. She stopped the fun by saying, "Come on team, let's get this job done."
Only later did she realize that she stopped a moment of pure joy and fun. There was no hurry in putting the groceries away, why did she not enjoy the moment?? How had she became such a killjoy?

From then on, Gretchen looked for opportunities to see the ridiculous side of things, to enter into the spirit of her children's spirit of play.

This Week's Resolution: Take Time to be Silly

This Week's Thought: A happy atmosphere isn't created merely by the absence of nagging and yelling but also by jokes, games, and tomfollery.

Share your thoughts, journey here this week.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I did it this weekend. Dance at the festial - disco, so I wore a wig and some silver boots.,,, only about 6 adults were disguised.. I won a participation prize - a small propane stove with 4 butane gas bottles... see it's good to be silly!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I did it this weekend. Dance at the festial - disco, so I wore a wig and some silver boots.,,, only about 6 adults were disguised.. I won a participation prize - a small propane stove with 4 butane gas bottles... see it's good to be silly!

Good for you, Lucie! Sounds like a lot of fun!

I'll have to try really hard this week...I am another one who constantly runs through her To Do list and I doubt my boys would say I'm happy-go-lucky in the normal course of events. I'd like to be - I really would, but I just don't seem to be wired that way. However, I DID agree to be the red "angry bird" (from the video game) at a family Halloween party this weekend - at DS(6)'s request! He loves that game and sometimes I let him play it on my iPad if he's finished all of his school work and piano. The mask is huge and ridiculous, but he laughs hysterically every time I put it on. I am trying to surprise him by making a giant slingshot to carry (out of cardboard) but I can't think of what to use for a giant rubber band???

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Lucie, Another side of you we didn't know about!!!! WTG

I do not need a reason to act silly.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Lucie- Good for you! Sounds fun!

Colleen- The costume sounds Great!

Last Friday night when out with my friends- I swear, I don't know what happened. The night was over and four of us drove out to the boonies and just started taking the craziest pictures. We were in the dirt, posing, doing those planking pictures. I have not laughed that hard- I can't tell you in how long!!!!

The next morning I thought, Did that really happen?? The friends I was with said it too. We came to the conclusion that our adult responsibilites can sometimes be too much and we needed to break out and act like crazy kids. And that that's what getting together with life long friends is all about. :)

But, usually I'm like Colleen too- my responsibilities and obligations can often over take my silly, fun side.

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I always ask what difference will this make in 50 years. The having fun or being silly is something people will remember, not if I was doing my To Do list.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
So true, Ahorsesoul, so true!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
However, I DID agree to be the red "angry bird" (from the video game) at a family Halloween party this weekend - at DS(6)'s request! He loves that game and sometimes I let him play it on my iPad if he's finished all of his school work and piano. The mask is huge and ridiculous, but he laughs hysterically every time I put it on. I am trying to surprise him by making a giant slingshot to carry (out of cardboard) but I can't think of what to use for a giant rubber band???

Thera-band would work for the slingshot. I'm sure if you asked at any physical therapy place (clinic or hospital) they would sell (or give) you enough. Or look in the exercise section of stores. It comes in different colors.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm working on this, especially since DH is home now and was gone for so long. I'm beginning to realize just how important making the most of every second is and if that means dropping something that needs to be done around the house to have some fun, so be it. It will always be there later for doing.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Good for you, Jessica!!!!!!

Colleen- I was thinking of felt for your "rubber band."

I like Ahorsesoul's idea too. Very clever.

Annie