HP-Week 44

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
It is our 11th month of the Happiness Project. This month our focus is: Keep a Contented Heart. Corresponding pages: 258-276. Last week we worked on Laughing Out Loud. This week we add: Use Good Manners. Corresponding pages: 264-268.

Gretchen realized she needed to work on her manners after taking a personality test called: The Newcastle Personality Assessor Test.

Gretchen noticed that she often brushed by people as she quickly walked down the sidewalk. And she wasn't the one to offer a seat to someone on the subway or allow someone to go first.

She mostly wanted to work on being more agreeable and kind.

Her biggest problem was in conversations, where she tended to be: argumentative, a no it all and a topper- she always had to top someone's story. This tended to get worse when she drank. Because her husband has Hepatitis C and gave up drinking, Gretchen decided this was the time to give it up too.
In giving up drinking she realized too, that drinking made her sleepy, which in turn, made her rude.

This Week's Resolution: Use Good Manners.

This Week's Thought: "Nothing can make our life, or the lives of other people, more beautiful than perpetual kindness." ~ Leo Tolstoy

Share your thoughts, journey here this week.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I love the way Gretchen is so open about what and how she does things. I'll be working on being more mannerly this month and next. Two months when people tend to be rather grouchy.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I think our society has forgotton some of our basic manners:

* Saying Please and thank you

* Holding the door open for someone

* Assisting the elderly

* Mrs's Soup's- Putting your grocery cart away in the corral.

If we got back to a bit more civility- What a wonderful world it would be.

Our young people, especially, seems they are lacking in manners. Not ALL young people- I know many that have impeccable manners.

I would like to see what the teachers out there say- do the youngsters you teach have less manners now than before?

Annie

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
It amazes me the amount of people that don't say 'Thank you' when you hold the door for them. They just waltz right through like it's your sole purpose in life to hold the door for them. Sometimes I get so fed up that I say 'you're welcome' loudly to make a point. Or I tell the kids that they had better always say thank you loud enough so that the person can hear it. :)

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Jessica- I have done the same thing.
Held the door for someone and when they don't say anything say, "You're Welcome!"

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have a friend who will say "Excuse You" to someone when they do something unmannerly.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I needed that laugh. Ya'll sound like me with the Your welcome & Excuse You. Guess I'm old school, it drives me nuts for a man not to hold a door open for a female. But at the same time it also drives me nuts for a female to walk through a door & not say thank you to the guy holding it open. It also drives me nuts to see people act like just because they're talking to someone online, email, or text there's no need for manners.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
This is a good time to practice table manners!

Annie