Husband. So difficult to shop for!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Nancysue

Retire Member
Oct 27, 2015
Does anyone have a good gift idea for a man in his mid 50's? He's not into electronics and I never buy him tools because he likes specific ones. I got him a drone last year but that was over the top. I'm looking for something that he could get use out of everyday. Ideas welcome!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Nancysue, since he wants specific tools, could you get him to make a list of THE specific one's he would like. You could buy him GCs for the store where the tools are sold if he didn't want to do that.

I know you said he doesn't like electronics, but the gift my DH likes most that I have ever gotten him is an iPad.

If he likes sports, maybe tickets to his favorite team's game (maybe a weekend away for the two of you)!

Does he have hobbies?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My DH likes to read and he also likes farming. I get him books and the like. This year he is getting a new backpack and DD will buy him a coffee GC for the coffee shop opposite his work.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Like Jane recommended, one year I had DH make a list of all the tools he wanted and each year for birthday and Christmas I would get him a new tool from the list.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I am getting my husband the Garmin Tactix Watch. He is difficult to shop for as well, but I saw him looking at them on line and took a mental note.

Kelly

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
DH is pretty good if I ask him to give me some ideas. Also, I keep my ears open, and if he talks about getting something, I ask if it can wait till Christmas. I've learned to write things down the minute I have the idea, 'cause I won't remember it later. He wears a lot of printed t-shirts, so that's always a good gift that he will use.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Lucie, I love the breakfast machine and had not seen them. DH may be getting one for Christmas! ;)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie, that breakfast machine looks amazing, and I think that the price is realy reasonable.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
They are great- easy and work well.
Katrina- Big W had them a while ago for around $30

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Tanya, great to know. I will run it surreptitiously passed DH and see what he says. I will be at Big W in the next few weeks to pick up a lay-by so I can look then.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Sometimes DH will cooperate and give me a list of things that can be purchased at obscure websites.

Also I found a sign that says "if you don't believe in Santa you get underwear" so now he will have at least one gift of underwear each year.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
LOL Debbie, he better start believing if he does not want those undies every year.

Nancysue

Retire Member
Oct 27, 2015
I am getting my husband the Garmin Tactix Watch. He is difficult to shop for as well, but I saw him looking at them on line and took a mental note.

Kelly

The Garmin Tactix Watch is something that could peak his interest. He has become somewhat of a health nut.

Also, I found this wallet on facebook that has a pocket specifically to hold medication. My husband carries around aspirin in case of emergency chest pain and this wallet would work wonders for that. I googled it at:

Pill Pocket Wallet

I'll keep looking for ideas and keep you all posted. Thanks everyone!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Good luck Nancysue. It is like a treasure hunt to find the perfect gift.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Sis had a $10 coupon on Amazon until Thursday so I used it :) orderd dh's breakfast machine.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
My DH is in his 50s too and over the years I've gotten him all the tools, toys and such that he really needs. Over the last few years we have been combining our gifts to make a purchase that we wouldn't otherwise make. We have the "family" gift that includes the kids (last year it was the puppy). And then we might have a big mom and dad gift, depending on the year. (If we do that we still get smaller individual gifts to go with it - like books and such, so we have something to open). Not sure if we'll do a joint gift or not this year. We are still in negotiations. :) Lists aren't officially due til Thanksgiving. But anyway, instead of just thinking what he wants, maybe consider something cool that you both want?