I need advice!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Hi everyone.

I've been working on a pretty pink and white layette set for my friend's baby. The problem is I knit it on old metal needles and it seems like the metal has had some kind of reaction with my hands. As I knit with the needles my fingers turned dark where the needles touched. There is a gray cast to the whole project and places where it just looks dirty! Looks kind of like someone rubbed newsprint all over it.

Has anyone had this happen before? Any advice for how to get the gray color out? I'm wondering if I should put it in the washing machine, try Shout, lemon juice?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as her baby is on its way and I don't have time to knit the sweater over!

:help:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Oh not. This is terrible. I say go ahead and wash it. It will either come clean or you'll be knitting again. Sorry.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Ahorsesoul said:
Oh not. This is terrible. I say go ahead and wash it. It will either come clean or you'll be knitting again. Sorry.

I worked a little shout into the darkest parts and washed it on the delicate cycle in a lingerie bag. It looks bright and clean right now, but I'll have to wait until its dry to know for sure. Keeping my fingers crossed....

:applause:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Luckily it is bright white! The pink came out brighter as well. I'm wondering whether or not all the Shout chemicals would have been washed out....I rinsed it twice, but I know people are extra careful with chemicals when it comes to babies.

I'll have to find something to do with those needles...they were left to me by one of my grandmother's friends and I think her family brought them over from England so I don't want to get rid of them, but I don't think I should knit with them anymore. I bought a new pair of plastic ones in that size yesterday. Hmm....Maybe I can make some kind of decoration with them....

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
You could frame those needles with a photo of the grandmother for her Christmas or Birthday gift this year.