ICE (in case of emergency) Car Tote

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
We are in the dog days of summer, but with all of my Christmas planning I thought maybe I should I make an emergency car tote to keep in my car this winter. I drive 45 minutes, each way, to work every day on a major highway and back roads. Pennsylvania can get some pretty nasty storms, and the road crews are not great at moving it. I don’t want it to be too big and take up a lot of room; here is what I was thinking I need. I already have a car phone charger, jumper cables, and a first aid kit in my car. Any other ideas on what I should or should not include?

Blanket
Flashlight
Travel shovel
Granola Bars
Water bottles
Extra pair of socks and gloves

Reactions: Minta

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Instead of a winter tote, we will be making an all around emergency tote or an "Oh crap, a nuclear warhead is coming, shelter in place" tote. LOL

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I'd add some kitty litter to throw under your tires if you get stuck on ice....or coal ashes if you have access to them.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Maybe in addition to the blanket, you could add in one of those emergency silver heat blankets. I've seen them in the camping section of stores. You probably already have the ice scraper and brush. I should probably do the same thing. I have always worked close to home but I have a job that is also in Pennsylvania and a 45 min. drive.

For a number of years after Hurricane Katrina, I had a hurricane kit that I kept freshly supplies. We often got the remnants of East Coast hurricanes in late August and through September. Trees would be down and sometimes power would be lost. I have not updated those supplies for some time. I think that is something else I need to do too.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
This is such a great idea. I put together emergency car kits for my kids' cars and both of our cars a few years ago and gave them as Christmas gifts. I put in each kit: 3 hand warmers & body warmers, emergency poncho, fleece blanket, emergency blanket, duct tape, waterproof matches, 5-in-1 survival whistle, LED headlamp & batteries, lightsticks, toilet paper, hard candies, first aid kit, multi-function tool (seat belt cutter, glass cutter, pocket knife), food bars, water, and a day pack to put it all in. Everyone has personalized their basic kit, adding a book, cash or whatever their needs are (sanitary, baby supplies, etc). I also keep a tote in the trunk with jumper cables, extra oil, a few tools, ice scraper & brush, windshield de-icer, extra windshield washer fluid, paper towels, winter gloves, hat & scarf, etc) Cat litter is a good idea as is a small folding shovel.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I would add an extra sweater in there. Just a fleece one. You could use it for extra warmth or in case what you are wearing gets wet, you can wrap your feet if they are cold or use it as a blanket.
A fleece cap (we call them beanies) for you head as they say you lose a lot of heat through your head.
I agree with the hand warmers, they would be a great addition. I hope that you don't need to use your kit but am glad that you are thinking ahead.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Great ideas! thank you all

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
In my kit we have a tin cans, waterproof matches and emergency candles. It is surprising how long this little heat source can warm the cabin on a car.
My son is a type 1 diabetic, so we also keep high sugar/glucose food in case we are stranded - such as Lara Bars.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom