Ideas for Leap Day?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
I was wondering if anyone is planning on doing anything special for Feb 29th, Leap Day. I really don't have any solid plans yet, but since it only comes once every 4 years, it seems like a reason to celebrate! If you're planning on marking the day, what are some of your ideas?

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
OHHHH...now this is a good idea...but what??? Lets think on this one!!! Something else to look forward to...yippeee!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I've been thinking about this and drawing a blank but I was wondering if a "frog themed" party or dinner would work....you know frogs leap...LOL

You could have a bunch of little plastic frogs (from the dollar store...sometimes they have all the different colors like rainforest frogs) and you could stick them everywhere....the silver ware drawer, lunch boxes (for kids), on the ktichen table...on top of the toilet, anywhere they are likely to be encountered...lol

For the lunch boxes...you could include a note ....HAPPY HOPPY LEAP DAY!

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Ooh, my son would love the frog theme although he wouldn't get it yet; he's 3.5y. ;)

I looked up "Leap Year" to see if that would yield any ideas. In the facts, I found a drink...

Leap Year Cocktail
2 ounces gin
1/2 ounce Grand Marnier
1/2 ounce sweet vermouth
1/4 ounce fresh lemon juice

Something else to note, Leap Day is a Friday in 2008. That gives a few more options since a lot of people don't have to work the next morning. :snow:

Snicks

MHH Member
Dec 27, 2007
Minnesota
I think I'll turn this is to a project for my scout den. They could do a reporton or just discuss Leap Day and then we could have some special "leap day" treats. I'll have to think on this a little more. Great idea!

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
For the Frog theme party for kids you could do "ants on a log" snack with celery, spread and raisins since frogs eat bugs.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I remember 4 years ago on Leap Day...it was a Sunday and it was the 5th Sunday in February-very, very unusual! So our church had a special lunch and afternoon singing. It was awesome!

As for this year....hmmm...sounds like as good a reason as any to have a party!!

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
I did a fun project with my kids the past two Leap Day's. I let them decorate a shoe box any way they wanted. You could certainly go with a green or frog theme if you like. We made sure to label it Leap Year Box and Do Not Open Until 4 years later. I had them write a list of their favorites, they drew a self portrait, traced their hand or made a handprint. I took pictures of them in their favorite outfits, with mom & dad & their sibling(s) & how their room looked. Once I got the prints made I slipped them in the box. We tape the boxes shut & keep them in the top of the closet...out of the way, but not completely out of sight so you won't forget about them. When Leap Day rolls around again in 4 years you just pull out the box, like a mini time capsule, and marvel at how things have changed & your child has grown.

The kids can't wait to open their boxes this year! DD is 10 & has done it twice....once at 2 and again at 6. Her first box contained pics of me pregnant with her brother. When she was 6 she had a picture taken with her two brothers! My middle child did it at 3 1/2. My youngest has a box from when he was just 2 months old. My big four year old will be quite surprised to see his box. I hope I can get my sons's teacher to do this as a class project this year....He's in 2nd grade and I think they would all have a blast.

I think this could easily be tailored to a couple or adult and if space is a premium you could do just one family box....or use manila envelopes for each person.

Credit for this idea goes to Family Fun magazine. If you check them out online they may have other Leap Day activities.

Bren

P.S. My Dad will be 71 on Leap Day :happybd:

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
Bren said:
I did a fun project with my kids the past two Leap Day's. I let them decorate a shoe box any way they wanted. You could certainly go with a green or frog theme if you like. We made sure to label it Leap Year Box and Do Not Open Until 4 years later. I had them write a list of their favorites, they drew a self portrait, traced their hand or made a handprint. I took pictures of them in their favorite outfits, with mom & dad & their sibling(s) & how their room looked. Once I got the prints made I slipped them in the box. We tape the boxes shut & keep them in the top of the closet...out of the way, but not completely out of sight so you won't forget about them. When Leap Day rolls around again in 4 years you just pull out the box, like a mini time capsule, and marvel at how things have changed & your child has grown.

Fun Idea! Children change so drastically in four years!!! You could also make up a little list of questions to fill in to put in the box with questions like list of favorites etc... favorite b-fast cereal, ice cream flavor, tv show, movie, color, best friend, toy etc....

pixiestick

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
Just was browsing the web and ran across the idea of doing a theme for Leap year day of FOURS, since it only comes around every 4 years....

Table for fours
four layer cake
four course meal
four candles on the cake
a friendly game of quarters
serve food that can easily be “quartered.”
four leaf clovers
four square game
"four"tune telling ( make predictions for next leap year)

what else could be added to this theme ladies????

pixiestick

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
Bren said:

:jumpinghearts: LOVE this idea! One we're doing for sure! Thank you!

I'm also thinking that leaping frogs would be a pretty cute theme ... maybe a few bunnies since Easter is right around the corner this year, too? I'm gonna have to brain storm this a bit ... but what fun!

Best Wishes!

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Great idea, Bren! I'm going to file that one away to use. I love FamilyFun - they've got so many great ideas!

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
I really love the idea of a Leap Year box for my two DDs! Think I'll do that!

I'm also supposed to spend the evening with my sister going to a wine and cheese bingo night. Should be fun!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Bren you just reminded me that dd12 can open her "time capsule" that they did in girlscouts the last leap year. Hmm where did I put that thing when we moved here? I might do this with the kids this year.

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
Now that it is right around the corner, how are everyone's Leap Year plans going?

I'm on the hunt for a container for our time capsule (LOVE this idea! Thanks again!) and have been writing some simple questions out for us all to answer: what's your favorite movie right now? favorite book? favorite game? favorite color? things like that ... I'm also planning on including pictures of the kids, dh, and me with my preggo belly :-D

I'm still sorta stumped on ideas for treats and snacks ... I did find an owl cookie cutter in my stash that I think I can make look sorta like a froggie face if I cut of the ears. *maybe* (it may be pushing the imagination too much LOL) Any ideas for treats or fun things to eat for Leap Day?

For our homeschool we're gonna do some different sorting games with fours and maybe play bean bag toss or something.

I've been doing some research on froggie crafts and have a couple of contenders but haven't found the ONE yet ... still on the look out. We'll probably do some froggie coloring pages and hang them up for decoration, too.

I'd love to hear about your plans and any other ideas (help!) :lovestruck: