Ideas needed for first time "empty nester" 24 days of Christ

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

campncook

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
south Texas
I would love some ideas from all of you...this is our first Christmas as "empty nesters" and my DH LOVES Christmas as much as I do. I know there are lists for families to do special for 24 days of Christmas, but I want something for us. Any ideas??? :grin:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
1. Go see Fred Clause or another Christmas movie
2. Go for a walk or drive to see the Christmas lights(be sure to hit a drive thru for hot chocolate or coffee)
3. Go for a sliegh ride
4. Rent a holiday movie.
5. Have a special Christmasy dinner date(romantic)
6. Make a picture cd of past Christmas pics-one for each of your kids(and you) or make prints of a favorite family Christmas pic to frame for each of your kids.
7. Leave a small present for each other each day-like scratch tickets or a chocolate bar or a poem.
8. write a rhyming Christmas letter to send or just make a funny Christmas rhyme together.
9. Play a board game or Christmas charades
10. Go shopping together and pick out a gift to donate to a Shelter or Church that does Christmas hampers.
11. Volunteer.
12. Have an open house where everyone brings a food bank donation.
13.Buy white kraft paper and make gift wrap.
14.Try to think of the last person on earth that you would want to send a card to and then send one.
15.watch the grinch or something equally as silly!
16.Go find something seasonal to take pic's of and take pic's of yourselves with it! (your kids will love them!-make it a yearly tradition!)
17.try each others hobbies-or at least read a magazine that would appeal to each other(switcharoo)
18.See if a local nursing home needs help decorating or needs decorations.
19.build a snowman masterpiece(if you don't get snow use white bags with leaves in them)
20.Plan fun get togethers to curb the January blahs
21. Light some candles and read the Christmas story
22.Learn a new card game
23.offer to be Santa and mrs. Claus for a children's Christmas party
24. If your nieghbors have children-offer to jingle sleighbells outside their window or make big bootprints and carrot mess for the kids to find outside.
25. Eat Drink sing and be merry!

campncook

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
south Texas
Wonderful ideas! I think I'll make a calendar next week when I'm back at school and have more time - hahaha! - and post it on the frig...just like the Advent calendars we had as kids!
This is going to be a wonderful 24 days of Christmas!
:applause:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
You got me thinking that it might be nice to do a few of these things just me and hubby-I get so caught up in the Christmas is for kids way of thinking that maybe it's time for me to incorporate some Mommy /Daddy time into the mix!(other than shopping for the kids!) :haha:

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
Wonderful list! Think I'll borrow a couple suggestion to get DH & myself into the spirit. Feel I need all the extra Christmas spirit I can get for some reason this year! Question about the 24 days of Christmas... feel a little foolish asking (I should know the answer). This would be the 24 days leading up to Christmas, not 12 days before & 12 after Christmas? :confused: Guess I'm not thinking clearly. But I just love this idea! :smile:

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
In the Church year, Advent is the period of time before Christmas (time of preparation). It begins on the 4th Sunday before Christmas. An Advent calendar will have 24 days, beginning on December 1st.

Quoting from http://tinyurl.com/2dmwck :

The Twelve Days of Christmas is probably the most misunderstood part of the church year among Christians ... Contrary to much popular belief, these are not the twelve days before Christmas, but in most of the Western Church are the twelve days from Christmas until the beginning of Epiphany (January 6th; the 12 days count from December 25th until January 5th)... In the Western church, Epiphany is usually celebrated as the time the Wise Men or Magi arrived to present gifts to the young Jesus (Matt. 2:1-12).

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
Thanks for the information! Will finish reading the link given as well. I thought this was done during Advent. I kinda like 12 days before & 12 after too! Would help spread the holidays out... something to look forward after the big day is over with. Plus I would have a long to plan. Thanks again! :smile:

I thought so DahliaDoll!!! I always hear about others talk about it before BUT I kept thinking history didn't know when Jesus was going to be born so it would have to be AFTER his "birth"day. Thank you, now I know I wasn't insane....lol