Inexpensive Wall Art

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
Ok...most of us have probably seen this link. It is all over Pinterest.
http://www.curbly.com/users/diy-maven/posts/3269-making-wall-art-out-of-styrofoam

I saw it a couple of times before I realized that it was styrofoam and not artist canvas. I love the design aspect. But, I don't have and don't want to buy styrofoam like they used. I saw another pinster was using pizza boxes instead of the styrofoam. Also, a great idea...but, I am not the patient type and it will take me a while to get enough pizza boxes. Also, there is a size issue because pizza boxes would be a little too large for the wall I want to use. I considered buying dollar tree frames, but I really like the open, canvas like look more. Finally, today I figured out what I'm going to use (recycle) to make this work...magazines.

I have a huge tote of old scrapbooking magazines that I just haven't been able to part with...I even put them in my garage sale, sold about 3 and then took them back inside. I know I don't need them and probably won't ever look at them again...but for whatever reason, I just don't want to let them go. I bought tan and black duct tape to use around the edges since I couldn't decide which color would look better. The plan is to tape two magazines together to give it the right depth to "pop" off the wall. If I don't like the look of the duct tape edge, I'll add ribbon or fabric around the edges. I can use pop can tops or even drill out a little hole in the magazine for nails to hang them. I have the scrapbook papers all ready to go. I think it's gonna work. :)

Last edited:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Lana....could you post the link to the pizza box ones?? Thanks

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Loved It!

Oh! The black and white really look good!

And who knew ... pizza boxes!

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I ended up making this; but, I used cake boards I bought at Hobby Lobby. There is a picture uploaded in the community photo section here. :)

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Neat!

I ended up making this; but, I used cake boards I bought at Hobby Lobby. There is a picture uploaded in the community photo section here. :)
Saw it! Cool!