Introducing: The Great Pumpkin Plan - 2017

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Okay, friends! I got to thinking, and other than some mentions here and there in the HGP/HHP - I don't think we really have a detailed Halloween focused countdown? To help us remember all those little things that add up to big headaches if they sneak up on us?

I'm willing to bet that many on here already have ways that you plan ahead! So I'm looking for YOU to chip in on the following.

Because I went nuts and just typed out a plan. Yes, another plan! The GREAT PUMPKIN PLAN!

What do you think? :)

I'm proposing that it starts Sunday, September 17th and runs for seven weeks which takes us up to and past Halloween - allowing for seasonal wrap up.

This is just for fun! I'll post weekly threads and we can chip in, chime in, discuss or just have - hopefully - an AH HA moment and add something to our lists!

I don't have a blog or website to post the whole plan to so I'll just use the weekly threads for now...we'll see how this goes and evolve from there!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Thank you, Lucie!!!

So here is a high level outline of the weeks on the plan:

Week One: Planning, Calendar and Basic Budget Week Sept 17 to Sept 23, 2017

- Events/Activities to Participate In
- Candy Stock-Up
- Costume Discussion
- Make a Basic Budget

Week Two: Planning Continued and List Making Sept 24 - Sept 30, 2017

- Party Planning (if hosting)
- Parties to Attend
- Trick or Treat Planning
- Family Fun
- Candy Stock-Up
- Decor Double Check

Week Three: Decor Week October 1 - October 7, 2017

- Decorate for Halloween!
- Costume Prep
- Classroom Treats (if applicable)
- Candy Stock-Up

Week Four: Keep Boo'ing Away Week! October 8 - October 14, 2017

- Pumpkin Planning
- Costume Prep
- Candy Stock-Up
- Family Fun

Week Five: Almost Scared Week! October 15 - October 21, 2017

- Costume Prep Finish Up
- Candy Stock-Up
- Family Fun
- Treat Yourself

Week Six: Frightening Finish Week! October 22 - October 28, 2017

- Halloween Clearance Shopping Planning
- Fight Last Minute Fright Double Check

Week Seven: Welcome the Great Pumpkin Week! October 29 - November 4, 2017

- Celebrate!!!
- Halloween Clearance Shopping
- Take Down Halloween Decor
- The Fate of Halloween Costumes

I have more detail to share for each topic and we'll try to generate some chatter on things as well!

Reactions: Minta

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Love it! We did our first 'Halloween Fun' event this past weekend, a drive-in movie to watch "IT" and "Annabelle Creation". My oldest son likes ghost/paranormal stories so he loved it.

Thanks AuntJamelle

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
great idea. We don't really do anything for Halloween BUT this year I want to go back to the pupmkin patch as we missed it a few yrs and I want to make trashbag spiderwebs. I need to buy black trash bags for cost I need to check out dollar tree.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I love this! I know there used to be a Halloween Countdown somewhere, but I love your outline! It makes so much sense to stock up on candy each week because it's costly. I look forward to reading the details as each week comes.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I LOVE this idea. Fall is such a busy time of year that we always end up with a list of things we plan to do, and then Halloween becomes a last-minute, run to the store for costumes, candy and sorry cries of "Augh, we live in the middle of farm country how can there not be a single pumpkin left within 20 km!!!!!!" FYI, a squash can make a functional, albeit someone disappointing jack-o-lantern. I know this from experience.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
This is a great plan. I would always forget about Halloween until it poped up on the HHP. Most of the children in the neighborhood have outgrown Halloween now so our candy is minimal.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
My biggest issue every year is carving the pumpkins. We never set a date and usually scramble last minute to get them done and find candles for them. Plus everyone needs to decide a head of time how they want to carve their pumpkin. I need pencil in a date to carve them and either make a plan a head freezer meal or do a crock pot meal for dinner to make it easier for me. Need to buy candles or led lights for inside the pumpkins a head of time.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Sounds like this will be helpful to some of us - I'm hearing a lot of the same things that I've dealt with in previous years. It's like my focus is so heavy on the HGP and Christmas that WHAM, it's Halloween happens every year.

Really hoping this approach helps take some of the stress out of it!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My biggest issue every year is carving the pumpkins. We never set a date and usually scramble last minute to get them done and find candles for them. Plus everyone needs to decide a head of time how they want to carve their pumpkin. I need pencil in a date to carve them and either make a plan a head freezer meal or do a crock pot meal for dinner to make it easier for me. Need to buy candles or led lights for inside the pumpkins a head of time.

Oh my gosh, that is so us! We're so busy with school, sports, and other activities. I always forget about the pumpkin carving until the day before. It just isn't pretty around here at that point. In fact, I just added that to the calendar right now and I'm making it a crockpot meal too. Thanks!

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
sounds cool thanks look fwd to it. ive already put out some hallloween

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I do need to start filling gloves with candy. Thanks for the thread.

holidaynut

Premiere Member
Dec 6, 2007
Newfoundland, Canada
I love this! I know there used to be a Halloween Countdown somewhere, but I love your outline! It makes so much sense to stock up on candy each week because it's costly. I look forward to reading the details as each week comes.

You're right. There was a Halloween countdown and it was on this site when it was also a webpage, not just the forum. I printed it out but I'm going to add this new one to it.

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
You're right. There was a Halloween countdown and it was on this site when it was also a webpage, not just the forum. I printed it out but I'm going to add this new one to it.
-yes I remember it, it was pretty cool. I would love to see it again. and thanks for this new one too!