Jan 17-30 Living Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
And... in the morning...... after a good night's sleep....... a certain amount of energy HAS returned! AND.... last night I got a third shelf cleaned off in the living room. Now..... I have a basket of stuff to go through..... all kinds of things and it WILL take time. So... I will take it to the bedroom TV and begin work! Things DO look better in the living room! Lots more to do. And... we have another week to do it!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
My plan is:

[] Brush ceiling and walls
[] Dust blinds and windowledges
[] Dust bookcases
[] Dust all pictures
[x] Hoover to skirtings and under all furniture
[x] Clean out DVD shelf behind curtain
[x] Polish brass fireplace surround
[] Clear out drinks cabinet and wash glasses
[] Sort magazines in basket, toss old ones
[] File articles I have saved
[x] Clear out corner underneath standard lamp
[x] Empty box of candles and put into candle drawer - use up some
[] Tidy up bookcases
[] Clean mirror
[] Clean tealight candle holders and oil burner of old oils and wax
[] Clean leather suite - get rid of dust and stains, and feed leather

It doesn't look like much when I tick off jobs, but we did actually make good progress on the living room on Saturday. The hoovering took a whole cannister of dirt off the floor - between pulling all the furniture out, and the last of the pine needles.

We made good progress elsewhere too though. Swept the kitchen/diner/playroom - also pulling all the furniture out. Swept and hoovered the hall and stairs. Dusted the playroom/dining room, breakfast bar and the hall. Cleared clutter hotspots in the dining/playroom. Deep cleaned the 2 bathrooms. Saw the end of the dirty laundrey basket (temporarily), put all the clothes away from airing cupboard to individual rooms, did the ironing and put away the clean clothes to airing cupboard. Changed sheets in guest room. Emptied out parts of freezer. Cleaned DH's car (inside on Sat, and he and DD brought it to carwash yesterday).

So I am going to concentrate on the bookcases for the rest of this week at nights - sorting the books, getting rid of old magazines, filing articiles and recipes and patterns that I have collected. And then dusting the whole thing before re-constructing it again!!

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
Well, I am a week behind-as usual lol..but the living room is in pretty good shape after de-decorating..do need to dust and vacuum the furniture, if I can move the cat and dog..switched some furniture around after Christmas, and really need another lamp now, so will look for that this week..

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
We had a family over for dinner last night, and to watch some of the football playoff games! The other lady and I took a break from the sports, and went into the living room to chat. The clearing clutter off the bookshelves made the room look so much nicer! The remaining three shelves are not bad.. and I will take care of them over the next three days!!

Oh....... I forgot to say that we did really thorough vacuuming over the weekend! And - polished one of the wood floors. (Not a good idea on a cold day -- because you really have to air the place out afterwards! The fumes are hazardous to inhale!!!)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
OK -- back to the living room. When I finish this post, I am going to take a bag into the living room and see if I can fill it with "donations". Let me elaborate: I have two matching buffets -- they are behind the couches. he drawers are filled with items for my grandchildren to play with when they visit: games, puzzles, notebooks, etc. PLUS -- some miscellaneous things like candles, candleholders, etc. Some of the items are of no interest to the grandchildren. So...... it is time to gather those things up..... and "give them to the universe"...... so they can find a new home.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Bags of donations are lining up by the front door. Next step is to begin loading them into the car. It's amazing how quickly you (me) can forget what is in cabinets and drawers. It's good to go through and look in them and see what can be gotten rid of!!!

Little bits of ongoing work in the living room definitely do add up to a cleaner, less-cluttered living room. That is just plain good!!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
How are you feeling about our two-week-per-room cleaning plan? I am loving it! It's amazing that one of the two weeks seems to get pretty well taken-over by real life events. But -- we have the whole two weeks --- and that IS enough time!

I haven't done anything really big yet. No painting or buying new stuff. But things get so much better with decluttering and cleaning! And -- rearranging.

So -- our next two-week project is: The Foyer - or - alternate - Kitchen Cabinets/Cupboards. In my home, both of these are small areas. So -- I am going to treat them as One Project for the two weeks These areas are not "static". There is a tiny closet by the front door - and dh and I are ALWAYS shoving more and more stuff in there! AND.... the kitchen has two small work surfaces -- and things are always getting piled up on them because the cabinets are too full! So... those will be great areas for me to work on!.

Last edited:

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
OK, I am happy with progress on the living room. Not ecstatic, as everything didn't get done. But I also had to prepare for guests tonight which required taking one guest bed and folding it under the other (I have a "guest" bed set of 2 singles which fold into one), to leave room for 2 travel cots, and also clean, hoover fully and babyproof that room (including putting a load of stored items from under both beds into the attic). And make SURE that our usual Monday-type dinner was made as they will all arrive as we arrive home from work (so I am feeding 4 adults and 2 kids, the baby is not on real solids yet just mush that her mum will bring).

Meanwhile, I will head into the kitchen this week, as we did the foyer last weekend when doing the living room (really not much to that space).

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I didn't get everything on my list done either, but I am happy with what I did do! I'll just try and cross something off as I'm doing another room

pattycakes

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
shutterbugsmd.blogspot.com
Hope you don't mind if I post my work a week late! With all the snow we've been having, I finally decided to quit resting and playing and get to it! Everything is done except the paint touch-up--we store our paint in the garage and it was frozen. We are planning to re-paint anyway, so this could not get done and it would be fine.

Everyone's doing so well! I'll post my entry list now...maybe I'll get it done tomorrow, since the rest of the week has already been called due to all this snow!

[done] Vacuum under furniture
[done] Vacuum under seat cushions
[done] Wash windows
[done] Polish wood frame
[done] Clean baseboards
[done] Shine fireplace doors
[done] Dust upper shelves and quilt rack
[x] Touch up paint--nope--paint is frozen. LOL
[done] Dust furniture
[done] Vacuum floor
[done] Reorganize Wii and games
[done] Clean ceiling fan

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I washed walls, ceiling, fan, woodwork, blinds, windows, curtains are clean.

Need to do:
- wash tables
- sofas to clean
- wash floor lamp
- wash floor
- Pillows & throws