January 2019 declutter club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I have decluttered a few boxes that Ikeep for Christmas to put gifts in. I will be making some fabric bags this year and the nieces and nephews are growing up so don't need a wrapped box. Reorganized a section of the basement and found a place for all Christmas boxes! won't need to bring them up to the attic (which was quite a job for dh & ds). This way when I'M ready next year I'll be able to start when I want.

Now I'm not 'decluttering' per say but I'm trying to use up some of the things I have to make space (yarn and fabric).

Reactions: Minta

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Lucie, I think you are really going to like having access to the Christmas boxes.

I decluttered 8 more shelves. I filled up a bag and a box to donate. There were a few items I wasn't sure about donating so I decided to keep them another year.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie, one of my goals this year is to also use things up. I have a lot of perfumes, cosmetics,(hand and face creams etc) craft items, books etc that have never been used. This year as part of my daily routine I aim to use them up and therefore get them out of the house.
Have also been watching Tidying Up on Netflix. As soon as it cools down I am going to redo all my wardrobes and drawers. There has to be a better way than how I am doing it now,

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
DD asked LC22 to help her “Tidy Up” her drawers of paper today. I gave them a notebook to put all her papers in order. I figured one big notebook would make everything in one place instead of several small ones.

Dh has started to sell some of his many shoes. He has a lot.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Three more shelves decluttered and organized. Added 2 pairs of boots and a snowman kit to the box.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Ugggh! I am still needing to declutter stuff from the craft room. I have limited myself as to how much I can put into there and if there is not room I have to eliminate what doesn't spark joy. Today, some I put a few ufo's in the the charity box. I found quilt squares my mom made and gave to me and I should be able to make a quilt or picnic blanket. Any one have a suggestion for the backing? I have two more quilt tops that my grandmother made and wanted to make picnic blankets for my daughters. (One of the girls is a camper). It would make a great birthday gift for them. Unfortunately, they know grandma (their great grandma) as the grandma in the bed as the last time they saw her she was very ill.

I will get there. I promised myself.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
JoDee. I have sewn fleece throw rugs to the back of one or two quilts that I used as picnic rugs. They are relatively cheap and are a good size and sew well.
I am sure that your girls will love the quilts

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Ugggh! I am still needing to declutter stuff from the craft room. I have limited myself as to how much I can put into there and if there is not room I have to eliminate what doesn't spark joy. Today, some I put a few ufo's in the the charity box. I found quilt squares my mom made and gave to me and I should be able to make a quilt or picnic blanket. Any one have a suggestion for the backing? I have two more quilt tops that my grandmother made and wanted to make picnic blankets for my daughters. (One of the girls is a camper). It would make a great birthday gift for them. Unfortunately, they know grandma (their great grandma) as the grandma in the bed ans the last time they saw her she was very ill.

I will get there. I promised myself.
Could you fashion a few squares into a photo frame with a photo both their grand mother’s?

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I sorted through a few more things from the craft room I down to the things that are sentimental. Gifts from the kids' travel etc. I may just close my eyes and let go if I can't think of a way to repurpose it.

I am now moving to the 15mins sorts an hour for the rest of the day.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Went through my sons clothes and closet and gave away a bag of clothes and a pair of winter boots he out grew to a friend for her son.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
DD "Tidied Up" her dresser. Folded all her clothes (with a little help from mom). I was showing how to fold some items. She tossed a few items and a jacket. Dh has sold two pair of shoes on eBay. One pair for $69 and the other for $59. He's ready to declutter some more items.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I sorted through a box of material and found a few pieces of material that I don't see myself using. Between that, a few table cloths and some cloths, I filled a bag.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have just finished Tidying Up my wardrobe and drawers. I was ruthless and got rid of a lot of stuff. I have 5 large garbage bags of clothes for donating. It leaves me with still a lot of clothes but things I will actually wear as I like them all. Folding the clothes like Marie Kondo suggests really works. Can't wait to move on to DH wardrobe and see what I can do there.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I went to the donation center today and I dropped off the 4 boxes and one bag of items that I've decluttered from the basement so far this month.

For my own reference, as of yesterday, one of the two Ikea shelf systems has been decluttered and organized. Two small shelves have also been decluttered and organized. 1 Rubbermaid Tote has been sorted through.

Next on the list is the second Ikea shelf system. I'm going to work shelf by shelf again. That seemed very doable and not overwhelming.

This is definitely not a one month project, taking it 15 minutes a day. It may be done by the end of March. That's ok. I'm seeing progress and I'm moving things out of the house. The key take away is that I'm not overwhelmed which sometimes freezes me in place and I don't know where to start or how to finish.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have just finished Tidying Up my wardrobe and drawers. I was ruthless and got rid of a lot of stuff. I have 5 large garbage bags of clothes for donating. It leaves me with still a lot of clothes but things I will actually wear as I like them all. Folding the clothes like Marie Kondo suggests really works. Can't wait to move on to DH wardrobe and see what I can do there.

Congratulations!!! What a great feeling that must be. :) I think getting rid of stuff is addictive and/or freeing.

I was just cleaning in my bedroom and I thought how I can't wait to declutter in there too. Part of me wanted to jump in and start a big declutter. The other part knew better. I'd get side tracked with the bedroom and not finish the basement.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary. This is the best I have done in years. I don't know if I have a different mind set this year but it really was easy to do. I got rid of things that I have had for over 10 years because I thought I might need them, but I never wear them so out they went.
There are a few things that I was not sure what to do with so I put them aside and came back to them. In the end they went into the bag.

Keep going on the basement, it sounds like you are doing a terrific job. There will be plenty of time to move on to other things. Think of how you will feel when it is done.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Thanks, Katrina. Our basement is like a time warp in some ways. I had my daughter work with me this afternoon since a good portion of the things on the shelves were her things. All we did was sort through what to keep and what to give away. The keep section will just need to get organized better when we are finished going through all of those shelves.

I have another box filled with things to donate and I tossed things that weren't worth donating.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I did Marie kondo with my clothes too a while back. I was embarrassed by what was piled up on the floor. What a mess. But so nice when you are done.
JoDee could you use a old blanket for the backing of the quilts? I have a very hard time getting rid of grandma stuff. I always pass those things around to the cousins. The shadow box idea might work for your other sentimental things.
I finished the 2 boxes in the one closet. Got rid of a few cook books and will probably get rid of a few more. The one box was half full of my paper dolls. I know I dont play with them but I'm keeping them.
Everyone is doing a great job!!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DH sold DD's treadmill yesterday (with her permission) so that is out of the garage. It gave me access to an old wardrobe that is in there. I want to keep the wardrobe for when we move to the farm as the kids both used it when they were babies. I think it will work to store my preserving supplies in. Anyway, hopefully I can sort that out today.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Another shelf was decluttered and organized. 2 used test prep books got recycled.