January 2020 Declutter Club.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
There are still things in the basement that are sentimental so I will keep those another year and evaluate.
I find it hard to donate sentimental things. I sent photos to the kids of Christmas items that I was decluttering thinking that they would like to keep it all as they are their memories. They both said to toss 90% of what I showed them which was eye opening.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I took 2 new scarves to work yesterday to see if a co-worker/daughter would like them. Took a few newspapers to Jaymee that had Teigans picture in it for Christmas at the library.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I just watched this video and the couple did KonMari in her childhood bedroom! What a difference.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I find it hard to donate sentimental things. I sent photos to the kids of Christmas items that I was decluttering thinking that they would like to keep it all as they are their memories. They both said to toss 90% of what I showed them which was eye opening.
You can keep the pictures for your own memories and then donate items.

I had a box of DD27 baby clothes and a box of toys and paper drawings and Sunday school crafts. Yes, I did. LOL And ... over January and February 2019 when moving to Vermont was becoming more of a reality by the fall ... we two went through the stuff. Yes, 90% of it she said she didn't want. I took pictures of some of her cute stuff and ... donated it. It was hard, a little, but I know I needed to let go.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
jampss, DH and I will eventually move to our farm house when we retire. Much smaller than the house we live in now.
So over the next few years I will be really down sizing. I know I will need to get tougher on letting things go.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009

Yes, that's what I'm afraid of. I have memories tied to things. I'm thinking that maybe writing out the memories of that item and then "letting it go" may be helpful for me. But that is a whole other project. LOL!

I got more stuff out to the trash and recycling. I found a few more items for the donation corner. I'm rethinking the decluttering part of the basement. I may just tackle my household things right now and then when the dc have an extra day off from school, they can determine what stuff they want to keep. There are crafts, games and toys haven't been touched in a while. I'm not sure if they still want them or if they are ready to give it away.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, I find that one of the hardest things to do. I know if I want to keep something but am unsure when it comes to things that the kids might want to keep.
There are many games and puzzles here mostly belonging to DD that I am not sure what to do with. I will have to discuss with her at some stage.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Today, I worked on decluttering my family history paper work. Oh, boy, that's going to be a year long project. I've got lots of papers that have no meaning to me that I can toss. Others need to be filed properly. It felt good getting done what I did today.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
my goal this week is my office... i am secretary of a recovery addicts group, so I have things everywhere. I have my avon here & there.... and then I have my decluttering things..... my organizing skills for my little lady I clean for. but then I have my full time job in the cafeteria.... lol there has to b a place for everything,, has to be..... i am about to scream with this......
it can b done... it can b done....

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Today, I worked on decluttering my family history paper work. Oh, boy, that's going to be a year long project. I've got lots of papers that have no meaning to me that I can toss. Others need to be filed properly. It felt good getting done what I did today.
Mary, once I finish doing the photo trunk I need to move on to the family history stuff, it is everywhere.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
well... instead of getting things out... dd has moved from a 5.5 room appartemnt to a 3.5.. some things will have to be stored here (mostly Christmas decorations, tires, etc...)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Lucie, And you had moved most of that out.

Reactions: luludou

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I haven't done anything yet ... but over in Jumpstart January ... I said I would clean/declutter one area a month. January area is: 1. Master bedroom and 2 baths

So ..... I have to put it into the schedule.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I told DH the other day I want to have a yard sale this summer .. there is a lot if stuff I no longer want/need. What ever does not sell will get donated. My goal this month is tackle the master bedroom and closet... that closet needs a good cleaning and purge.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I have a large Christmas gift bag full to go to donate in the van ... now to go drive there!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia