January 2023 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
When my grandparents died--my parents took most the photos and they took out the good ones and then gave me the books. Most were pictures of my great aunts and uncles and like my second cousins but I didn't want them and neither of my sisters did ( our kids really didn't know some of them and others they did but they didn't want them) so I divided up the photos by families and then mailed them to one person in each family and they could either pitch them or divide them with their families. I felt good I passed them on and will never know what happened to them. Got a few replies that they were welcomed. I have a ton to sort thru of ours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Makes me sad when I see family photos at auctions. When I sorted our photos out I gave some to the cousins. Not sure what will happen to mine when I’m gone.
Especially ones in beautiful old frames----

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Makes me sad when I see family photos at auctions. When I sorted our photos out I gave some to the cousins. Not sure what will happen to mine when I’m gone.
When I moved my grandmother from assisted living into a nursing home, she had a box of photos that she didn't want to bring with her. My mom and I went through the photos and grouped them by family. Then when we saw those family members, we had an envelope of photos for them. The families chose what they wanted and didn't want.

I made space in my sock drawer for the new socks I got at Christmas. Before I toss them, has anyone here used old socks for dusting or cleaning? Any other use that I'm not thinking of?

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Cleaned out and reorganized my pantry. Pleased that I did not have much to toss that had expired, but did toss a few things.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I made space in my sock drawer for the new socks I got at Christmas. Before I toss them, has anyone here used old socks for dusting or cleaning? Any other use that I'm not thinking of?
Sometimes the guys will take them out to the shop for rags when need a small one and then toss them. I have saved them for dusting.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am starting a pile of things no longer needed or wanted. I am waiting for the local church to post their list for market days this year. Last year they had a different theme every month. EG February, linens and manchester. March, books, DVDs and music etc. April, Clothing.

I thought it was a great idea, it just means that I might have to store things until the appropriate month but if I get a few decent cardboard boxes it may not be too bad.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Well, I repurposed a box that I was going to donate. :rolleyes: It's good that I didn't go out and buy one but bad it's not part of the decluttered box. LOL! It's now storing my office supplies. I decluttered a few more papers from the office. The office is in better shape than before but it will need some more work at another time. I'm ready to move on to the dining room.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Pulled up 8 big boxes from downstairs. One LC is taking one box with her. I will see if the other LC wants anything. (Update, she does not) Sheets, duvet covers, and blankets in 6 boxes along with a box of towels are left. All will go out on Monday. I have several boxes in line to come upstairs once they are gone. She is a cleaned off shelf but huge amount of other boxes. This is the smallest room. The big open room is filled too.D5BED0E7-E486-491A-B429-4DC5334068A5.jpeg

Last edited:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Pulled up 8 big boxes from downstairs. One LC is taking one box with her. I will see if the other LC wants anything. (Update, she does not) Sheets, duvet covers, and blankets in 6 boxes along with a box of towels are left. All will go out on Monday. I have several boxes in line to come upstairs once they are gone. She is a cleaned off shelf but huge amount of other boxes. This is the smallest room. The big open room is filled too.
Animal shelters can use them ,

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Threw out two colognes DH won't wear- 1 was a gift, 1 he bought himself, 1 bottle of lotion, some old notebooks.

Boxed several things for DSis to go through. Will go to consignment if she doesn't want them.

Filed old income tax papers.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I went through my computer files and photos. Deleting, organizing, and archiving.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
8 Boxes were cleared out of the house again today. LC2 has another 3 boxes going into her car when she leaves. So a total of 11 new boxes have been declutter today. Dh just said as he was leaving, that I do a few more if I wanted because he can make another run to the Thrift store before he watches football this afternoon. So I am off to the basement for more boxes.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Three suitcases filled with fabric are in Dh car. I am now looking at 9 boxes of glassware, mostly mine. Princess house glassware. All are going, some to the thrift store and some I might be able to talk Dh into putting on the garage sale site as a set. I have a set of dishes, that I will pair with some of stepmoms glasses and a whole set of beautiful mixing bowls that will go. DD will just break them and DS does not want them so out they go. My kids grew up eating off of them since the late 1970s when I bought them. They still look new now. Will be getting rid of all the PH stemware too. So 17 boxes will be gone or at least into Dh room. lol

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Found 6 boxes of hats downstairs so they went with Dh so that is 3 boxes gone today. Dh is getting behind putting items on the garage sale site. He makes it too big of a deal. ——Aparently my math wasn’t working when I typed this. lol

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I went through one drawer in our dining room which has always been our important paper/need to file paper drawer. I threw out a bunch of unnecessary papers. I know have a bunch that need to be filed.

Reactions: jampss and Lana

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
8 boxes upstairs heading to the thrift store. I reorganized or trashed items in some other boxes so now have 5 empty plastic totes. Gave DD 4 boxes of her items to deal with which means LCs and I will have to find places for them.

Dh has slowed down on letting go of things. His thinking is we paid so much for something 10 years ago so it is still worth that. One item was a small slide scanner that made it possible to print slides from the computer. Was great 10 years ago but they have much better and cheaper technology now.

The one set of open shelves downstairs become the home of Christmas decorations so it will not all be piled up in the corner of the room. This small room is now done and I will move on to the bigger room. Many boxes of my stepmother’s painting to deal with in that room. We already have 7 of her painting up in the house.

Attachments

• 90A3F313-B8BE-4079-9AA5-9113D9081ED3.jpeg
    90A3F313-B8BE-4079-9AA5-9113D9081ED3.jpeg
    995.3 KB · Views: 6
  • ECC0E923-37FB-49FB-BD73-02BB153ECE94.jpeg
    ECC0E923-37FB-49FB-BD73-02BB153ECE94.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • D08F8EA4-A538-4996-A163-30FB18C4C48C.jpeg
    D08F8EA4-A538-4996-A163-30FB18C4C48C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6