January Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
You are SO RIGHT about that.....makes it easier to find the things we want/need.

I'm happy with January progress and still have a week left....

Then we will start the FEBRUARY DECLUTTER thread....LOL

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
This afternoon I worked on getting all my old filing put away. I have half a box of items to shred tomorrow. I need to make one more sweep around the office to see if I have any hidden places that I might have stuffed some filing (Out of sight out of mind. It seems to breed away and grow into a huge pile). Sure hope not.

Nice to hear of all the clutter be moved out of houses.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Katrina, it really is amazing what you find. Things you can acutally use on occasion..LOL

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I didn't get anything out today, but my DD filled a trash bag with clothes today. Pieces that were old and last go around, she wasn't ready to part with. It's sitting by the front door, ready to go to Goodwill tomorrow.

snowqueen

Premiere Member
Nov 1, 2007
Vermont
Because I haven't felt well, I haven't been able to work on bigger projects. I have been able to do some stuff in my computer/sewing room though. I went though patterns and put some aside to get rid of. I also went through two file drawers of crafts and ideas that I printed off the computer. I didn't get rid of a lot yet but I'm going to go over them again. I can't concentrate when people are around and while I was doing that we had DS and DGC here. I also gathered the crafts and sewing together for the tote that I started for the things to get done first. It looks a bit better and is a bit more organized but I still have a ways to go. Dorene

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Michelle, isn't it funny that sometimes we are just not ready to throw stuff out. Last time I went on a decluttering I just wasn't sure about some things. This time for some reason I was ready to let it go and out it went. I really do not think I have kept much this time that I was not sure about.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Sweetpumpkinpye-
Are we on the same brain wave??!! I was just going through drawers of clothes and there were a few shirts- I haven't worn them in at least 3 years but they were so dang cute I couldn't put them in the give away bag.

And, I thought, "Maybe it's a thing like MinnieCo's DD- you're just not ready to let them go yet."

So, I decided to put them back. But, eventually, I do see them going on to another home.

Annie

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
That's seriuosly the advice I give people. If you don't get it this go around, you might change your mind next time. Every time I go through a room, I end up tossing something I wasn't ready to toss last time. And there is always SOMETHING! So it's okay, don't stress!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Michelle and Annie
When I was decluttering with the kids that is exactly what I said to them. If they hesitated about something I said, that's fine we don't have to get rid of anything you want to keep. They did throw out alot and I'm sure that by next time around they will be willing to part with more.
It is not the process of getting rid of everything, just to pare it all down a little.

They have a few boxes in the roof space that is full of childhood books and toys that we must go through soon. I am worried that they will find long lost treasures and want to bring them back into the house. LOL

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Sorry to post again, I remembered what I wanted to add.

DH went through the kitchen cupboards with me yesterday and while we did not declutter we rearranged. It was great having another pair of eyes look at things. He told me what he thought was not working and how we could fix it. We rearranged where we had things and so far it seems to be working better.(DANG I hate it when he is right).

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I agree with that as well Katrina. Just straigtening my pantry, made all the difference. If you see things, you can use things!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I am still going through my cook books and stuff. I had a BBQ cookbook DH wanted to keep last time but I didn't ask him this time. to be honest he doesn't use it. Or we google a recipe. There was some printed pages from 10 yrs ago in the front. Don't need those. Also went through my recipe card file. I went through it once but snoopy got ahold of it and dumped it out and ate some of the box I tossed a few more and plan to get the ones I am keeping into something different. Got rid of another game and some decorations from when we redid the game room. They are all going into the yard sale pile but atleast that's in the attic. Can't wait till warm weather so I can have a yard sale and get all this mess out of the attic. And a little extra cash.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I have a recipe card file that I also need to go through...never use the cards in there because most of the recipes are in other locations too )books, notebooks, or on line)

I do like the wooden box though so maybe I can repurpose it somehow...hmmmm

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I am the same way I never used the box so I figured timed to go through it. I am putting them in a album w/ other recipes so that way I see them, the ones I kept. Plus some were hand written by family memeber and I wanted to keep those.

Took another cookbook, a clock, some odds and ends to the attic pile this morning. Went through my mismatched sock basket, found a lot of matches and then pitched a few w/ holes, no matches...

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I am embarrassed to admit I am bad about keeping my paper bills organized and mail. I am good w/ throwing out junk mail but it's the other stuff. We pay alot on line and some auto pay so today I sat down w/ a very large stack of papers and shreaded 98% of it. I bought a file folder earlier and it was set up but not used. No I am going to start using it. I can Savor life (my word) more when I am organized and cany find a bill quickly to pay. The bag was one of the bigger shopping bags and it was almost full. The other plus is that corner of the kitchen countertop is clean again.

I also got rid of the box we had the wii stuff in. It was not working and broken. I have alot of old suitcases so I got an empty one, put all the Wii games into one of those CD cases and am putting the plastic cases in the attic incsae we need it for later. I got the games and accessories all in the suitcase and it sits on the Wii board. We have a shelving unit it sits on and they fit much better. the box was also too deep so it always hung off and looked bad.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Nice job Shannon. I like the idea of using the suitcases for storage.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We store our winter/summer clothes depending on season and our sleeping bags in suitcases