January Decluttering

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
About got the Christmas boxes handled but still reducing down the amount I have -- whacking out a little bit more.

FLyLady Zone for me is Kitchen so I'm trying to declutter ln little snippets in there this week because my REAL declutter project is: PAPER. (Marie Kondo Magic Art of Tidying Step 3). I'm going to need this board for support! :)

I did Clothes and Books before the Holidays and decided to wait til January for Paper as it will be such a big job with a home business, elderly parents, estate papers of deceased relatives, medical.... O M G. Deep breaths because I'm supposed to change my mind set to getting rid of ALL of it (this is specific to paper - not other things) and then from there deciding what I REALLY need/want to keep. (This versus being in the mind of "what can I get rid of of). It really is a bit to wrap your head around. Six to ten filing cabinet drawers we are talking here. And it is supposed to be done all in one go. So I'd need like... 3 days. Not sure how I'm going to pull that off with kids. I've YouTubed it and there are only about 2 good videos on it of people that have done it - probably because it is the hardest one.

Going to go buy "grey" folders (to signify "age") to help DH have the visual on what is OLD. Gotta get him on board. Will keep what is required for tax purposes - here in the states it is 7 years. Will box those and tape them up and ... I don't know. Put them in the garage or something. Some I can scan....

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I love the idea of the gray file folders.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I decluttered a paper catch area while looking for our marriage license last night. I don't know why they aren't in the lock-box with other stuff. I'll have to look some more. Called today...$5 for copy of license. $5 a page for the divorce. This time they will both go in the lock-box.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have casually mentioned to DH that it is time to clean his wardrobe. If he does not want to do something it is hard to get him to move, he is not lazy he just doesn't think it is important. I would like to get it done so I can write a list of what he may need for Winter.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DH and I have sorted his wardrobe. It only took about 30 minutes. We have tossed a few things to the charity bin pile and just generally re organised. It looks so much better.
All he needs is 2 pairs of sweat pants and maybe a pair of jeans. Will add that to my planner.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Katrina - good job on getting the wardrobe done. And good work by your DH too!!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Jim's co-worker only wants one of the items we have to get rid of. The rest will stay in a corner of the storage unit until we are ready to empty it and then we will make one trip to the thrift store.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Lots of boxes and paper got burned from the basement last night. About 15 garbage bags full of stuff from basement will go out with the garbage tonight also

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I went through the Christmas magazines and there is nothing I want out of them, so they are in a bag to go to the library.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DS cleared out some papers from his room today too AND he decluttered his car

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm joining you ladies this week. I want to work on going through the closets in the entry ways.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
You guys are doing good!!!

Kitchen cabinets hoping to start this week. Take everything out wipe them down and decide what needs to go. I really do like dishes but just don't use them all!

Jaymee is really cleaning her house from tope to bottom and today she brought me back my sewing rulers and then a box and bag of fabric.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
haha Mel for ONCE he did it by himself.. I'm wondering if he is sick this weekend... he has picked up his things, put his clothes away, decluttered, cleaned out his car... My baby is growing up!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I had plans yesterday but was called into work. Today I will tidy my candle cupboard and I would really love to get into the kitchen drawers and declutter them.

On my to do list for January is to clean DD's and DS's toilets (I lead an exciting life), they don't need decluttering, just cleaning.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Lots of boxes and paper got burned from the basement last night. About 15 garbage bags full of stuff from basement will go out with the garbage tonight also

R-O-C-K-S-T-A-R!! Good job!!

And Katrina - that guy that needs transition time to declutter because they don't think it is important? Yup, I know that guy. :)

Today is the assigned day to do the "Paper" Category. Have a doctor appointment this morning which is kind of a bummer since we'll get a late start but it is the only day we both have this week. So.... Deep breath in.....

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Cindylouwho!!!!

Breathing. Hope the paper decluttering is going well.

I will not be able to do any more now until Saturday because of work. It will be cooler on the weekend so that will be a plus.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Spent yesterday tidying, organising and decluttering my crafts cupboard. I was ruthless. I got 1 bag of trash out to the bin and 1 bag of useful things that will go to a friends childs school. My cupboard looks so pretty, I open it a just look in for no reason. It makes me happy :)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
haha Mel for ONCE he did it by himself.. I'm wondering if he is sick this weekend... he has picked up his things, put his clothes away, decluttered, cleaned out his car... My baby is growing up!!!

I'm wondering what he did wrong that you haven't found out yet. lol

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Diedra, I am thinking the same! Seems suspicious to me.