January Decor Ideas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I tried a year round tree a couple different years and could never pull it off past St Pats Day....so I gave up on that one....I want to keep one or two spots in the kitchen and a couple in the living room for holiday decor ...like Valentines and St Pats....but overall I always have trouble with January....After St Pats ...its Easter and then back to my Americana/Rustic stuff that stays un until the Fall stuff comes out!!

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
This year I'll keep out my quilted table runner(country) and my red berry garland on the mirror. I've also got lots of pinecones around and my cardinal out. I love the snowy white theme and will probably do that in the bathroom and maybe in our bedroom. A local store has some great white pom pom looking flowers and some mercury glass accessories that would be great! I'll have to look for clearance sales!

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I like the idea of a year-round tree.

However, I do not want to decorate in 'cold' theme... it's too cold around here for too long (Canada)... so I'm thinking of buying some throws for the couch, and changing the pillows for something that looks comfy and 'hot'... candles, maybe I should change my curtains for something that gives more warmth to the room, I also want to take out my big basket, put some crafts & books in it with some movies in the living room.

Warmth.... that's the theme I need!

Add some reds in the spirit of the Olympics. I'm going to do a so-called 5.5 hour afghan (I bet it takes me longer to crochet it) during the Olympics and I'm using red for one of my colors.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
My 10 year old dd was just saying tonight it is sad to put away the decorations now, because there is nothing to put out for Jan! I do tend to use more candles in the winter, so those will stay out..and really kinda liking the blue and white theme idea, 'cause looking around the house I see some things that could work..neat idea!

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
'cause looking around the house I see some things that could work..neat idea!

DO instead of buy is good. Use what you have. You've paid for it already. Use it in a different way than you have in the past and it will look new to you. :)

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
YES...CanadianJingles.....you are sooo right....in an attempt not to add more "stuff" to my house...that is what I have been trying to do...you would be surprised at some of the stuff I find tucked away here and there that I can get out and use.....Even dishes.....that fit the bill nicely....in February i like to display some of my Ruby Red dishes....(red for Valentines Day)

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I was looking through a catalog and noticed lots of knit throw pillows. I thought they would be nice for the winter months. I think these could probably be made from old sweaters or blankets. Flannel sheets could work too. I bought some inexpensive cherry printed flannel sheets on an off white background awhile ago. I've been wanting to make pillows for my Family room with them for February. I'm going to try to get this done this year.

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
This morning I changed out my dining room. I put my cream color dishes with snowflakes in the hutch. I paired them with stemware that is clear with blue stems. I used a blue table runner with white candles on the table. Then I placed some pine cones from my yard randomly on the runner. Before Christmas I painted the tips of the pine cones with white acrylic paint and while the paint was still wet I sprinkled them with clear glitter. The glitter dried to the paint and they have a beautiful sparkle. I used them in my Chritmas decorating but they also look beautiful against the blue! In the family room of my home there are a couple of throws within easy reach. Even though I will miss the Christmas decorations I am enjoying the "new" looks in each room.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Jinglemom... those 'warm' ideas seem like fun! post pics if you make some pillows.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have so much Christmas decor now that I do not even put my snowmen out during December - they come out to play in January! :)

I also have a cute old fashioned wooden seld, about a foot long, that I use in the Dining Room mantle arrangement.

I typically leave the evergreen garlard along the back of the mantle until I decorate for Valentines Day - so the snowmen and the sled look cute against that.

I'd like to have some winter themed wreaths or wooden door signs for this time of year too - just haven't gone there yet.

Other than that, it is normal decor items back on the mantles and shelves. Don't have a hutch or china cabinet yet to display dishes in but I love the ideas I've read so far on that! :) Someday!!!

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
My snowmen are dressed in jewel-toned fleece so I am bringing them out even though I intend to do a more "cozy" theme this year.