January Rudolph Day Topic: The Notebook and Rudolph Plan 2014

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm going to try to have my Rudy Days one Sunday a month. Sunday's are my "me" day. I spend the entire day home (all by myself) doing whatever I want or nothing at all. For the first few Rudy Days I want to get all of my lists completed. I need to focus on gifts mainly. If I can get that out the way I will be more prepared and hopefully start filling up the gift closet by mid-year.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I decided to start January with a look at the budget. I just can't wait until August to try and start saving enough to cover Christmas....

I sat down yesterday and went over my Christmas budget with a fine tooth comb. No wonder I'm always running out of money! I overspent and I do it every year, so we scrimp by from December paycheck to January paycheck because we get paid only once a month.

I plan to tuck away even more each month (on Rudy Day since that is the day we get paid), but I also need to revamp my spending. I'm really going to have to give this area a serious make-over. We paid all cash and that's good, but I still spent too much! I need to reel it in and learn to stay within my limits.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
It is January Rudy day here. I have so much on my to do list, BUT I will sit down tonight and watch a Christmas movie that I tapped over Christmas. I will sit down sometime this weekend and think about my stocking gifts for this year. Buying for the stocking is one of my favorite parts of Christmas prep.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Katrina, I love doing the stockings, but I always spend TOO MUCH on them! My kids have told me they look forward to their stockings as much, if not more than, their gifts, and I always wait until late in the year to start buying for the stockings. I love reading about what you've bought already in the gift closet thread.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Hmmmmm

Katrina, I love doing the stockings, but I always spend TOO MUCH on them! My kids have told me they look forward to their stockings as much, if not more than, their gifts,
Gosh ... I think I have to learn about how to do stockings better! :)

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Last year I made extra homemade jams and apple-butter and the kids gave them out as teacher gifts and we gave some out as gifts to friends/family. and they were a hit. This year I plan on making more this year so I am including that into my notebook for the summer months. I am also budgeting out money to start buying the canning jars each month to help spread out the cost.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Nice

Last year I made extra homemade jams and apple-butter and the kids gave them out as teacher gifts and we gave some out as gifts to friends/family. and they were a hit.
Very sweet. I make apple sauce in the crock pot. But we eat it up fast.

If I were to give as gifts, I could say ... eat it up as it's not "canned". I don't know about canning stuff. Those of you who "can" ... inspire me to want to. Sort of.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Very sweet. I make apple sauce in the crock pot. But we eat it up fast.

If I were to give as gifts, I could say ... eat it up as it's not "canned". I don't know about canning stuff. Those of you who "can" ... inspire me to want to. Sort of.

I started canning 3 summers ago after going to a local you pick orchards and we picked too many peaches. I made peach jam with the extra peaches and canned them in a water bath, it was so easy. After that I was hooked and have expanded to several types of jams, applesauce and apple-butter, apple pie filling and cherry filling. This year I will try to can peach and pear slices as well.

I havent bought jam in 2 years, applesauce & apple-butter in over a year. The family likes the homemade stuff better, fresher and less sugar. Since the fruit is picked at the peak of its ripeness its already sweet so I don't have to add nearly as much sugar.

Canned jams, apple butter and pie filling will stay good for 2 years.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Yum

Minta! Wow and yum! Thanks.