January Turkey Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

holly-ivy

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
sunny California
Our family Thanksgiving celebration lasts for four to five days. We only have adults eating so it is time for us to be more adventuresome for veggies with turkey left overs.

Forgot how much fun making new recipes can be. Tried the following recipes:

brusselsprout with almonds
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/0 ... prouts.php

easy to make butternut squash/apple/cranberries
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/0 ... y_bake.php

Daughter-in-law has brought butternut squash from her family's farm in the past. Think this recipe will be a keeper. Definitely will try it come November and see how the others like it. I thought it was yummy and easy.

All but one like brusselsprouts so this also might be included for the weekend meals.

Next month I want to try turnips which I had growing up, but my dh and sons hated when younger. Maybe they will like them now. http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/0 ... urnips.php

:pilgrim:

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
I'm working on recipes, too - and trying to come up with some that travel well. We always seem to be on the road for Thanksgiving and last year I just wasn't 100% pleased with what I brought (candies and cookies - which were good, but seemed like a small contribution, you know?)

I started a little Thankfulness journal which I plan on writing in each Turkey Day. Just a little orange photo album (got it on sale after Halloween last year) that I'm making a little page in for each month and just quickly jotting down what/who I'm thankful for, adding pictures here and there. I'm hoping it will be something I can have out for Thanksgiving this year and that it will become a family tradition.

I need to make some sort of folder or mini-binder for Thanksgiving and start gathering more craft ideas, too. Last year I was pretty last minute in finding things for the kids to do and didn't always have the supplies on hand since I didn't plan ahead, you know?

LOVE reading about everyone's Turkey Days and thanks for sharing all these recipes! Yum!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
My Turkey Day was successful! I didn't try the Boston Meatloaf recipe yet, but will this week. Instead, I bought some turkey cutlets, flattened them a bit, put stuffing on one side, rolled them up and baked them. They were SO good! I also practiced my home made pie crust and it turned out great! I rarely make pies because I'm crust-ophobic. I end up buying crust and then being disappointed. But I successfully made some strawberry pies and a chocolate pie for a family gathering, and they met rave reviews (blushing with pride).

Still working on getting my recipes organized.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Oooooo, Holiday Joy! I wish I was eating at your house! YUM! ;-)

Holiday Joy said:
I also practiced my home made pie crust and it turned out great! I rarely make pies because I'm crust-ophobic. I end up buying crust and then being disappointed. But I successfully made some strawberry pies and a chocolate pie for a family gathering, and they met rave reviews (blushing with pride).

I love making the crust just the rolling out and primping gets me sometimes!! This year I made the dough and my Aunt rolled and primped. I can handle that kind of teamwork any day...lol