July 2019 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Added the following to my two bags of books: twin duvet covers with pillowcases (no more twin beds here), two Turkish bath towels (that were ridiculously expensive and ended up shedding fluff no matter how many times I washed them and seemed to stay damp even after they were hung up to dry - mega fail on that purchase), floral king-size flat and fitted sheet that were at least 25 years old, four assorted totes, a wooden dog that was a doorstopper, a plastic jug, two mini fondue pots, a bag of three kitchen tools (peeler, coffee scoop, and one of those things you hook to the side of your pot to hold a spoon), and a deep fryer that I used once. I need to get a bit better organized and declutter by room; right now, I'm just grabbing things as I see them and putting them in a big box marked Goodwill.

WOW ... You are on a roll there. Great job!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have heard of people getting rid of covers that they place them in a plastic bag with note taped on outside saying the blanket is for you and if you need one to stay warm please take. Left on park bench or place where you know homeless are. Taped over whole note to keep it weatherproof.

Just a thought if anybody has some going to Goodwill. Or maybe drop off at a shelter that serves meals and they could hand them out.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Will give mom a few clothing items to take to her church for a give away day. Have 2 outfits of a skirt and shirt then 2 tops in it so far. Have a pair of new shoes too in it.

Church will give clothing away same day as they have games and hand out back packs to kids.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
We have a LOT of coats - I'm going to hold off on donating them until the weather gets a bit cooler and I can find a winter coat drive. We had one in Illinois years ago called Snug Hugs - the scout troops always participated - seems to me I remember it being coordinated by one of the auto shops, Midas or NAPA or somewhere like that.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
cleaned out under the sink in the kitchen and bathrooms. looks much better half empty bottles gone some bath and body stuff little in them gone.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
When Teigan went home today she took barbie camper, barbie food truck, barbie boat, a shopping cart full of stuff, doll bed, doll nursey, barbie closet, 2 dolls, diaper bag for dolls that I made a few years back filled with burp rags, wipes, hooded bath towelscloths and etc, that I made for it.

She wanted to take big doll house but I told to wait and see where this is going and will always be back to take more. Plus my car was full.

Last edited:

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
It seems that as quickly as I declutter I find more to do. All the talk of decluttering photos has me thinking that that would be a great Winter project. I also have many other great Winter projects to do so will need to add it to the list.
That's on my agenda for this winter. Have to get it done...

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
My goal for this weekend is to go through two totes of linens - I'm pretty sure there are tablecloths in there for tables that we don't have any longer (our table is round now and I want a rectangular table so there isn't much need for oval tablecloths). Report coming on Monday on what else I find!

Reactions: DawnSu

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Not much moving out here. Old crockpot went to DD. A shirt that was ripped went in the bin. An old pair of boots went to the farm, I can wear them there.

Reactions: luludou

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Two totes of linens yielded the following for the thrift store: oval tablecloth, 2 rectangular tablecloths, white handkerchief (no idea where that came from), tray cloth (don't know if these are used in the US, we had to use them in Domestic Science (UK-speak for the US equivalent, Home Ec) to present our dish of the day; it's like a placemat but thinner and it goes on your tray), 32 napkins (16 mint, 12 floral, 4 red), Longaberger toilet tank scarf and two finger towels (it's the Majolica Garden pattern if anyone has that pattern - the scarf was in the guest bath in our first RI house for maybe a few months, towels were displayed but never used), and two tea towels. These all came from the first tote; I was less successful with the second tote because everything in it is new. I did identify several items that can go in the gift closet and passed on as hostess or gift exchange gifts if either occasion comes up this holiday season.

Vic agreed to part with three books (one about basements so he couldn't argue for keeping that one since we don't have a basement!) and I found some other bits and pieces while I was cleaning the guest room - a box of floating candles, three jewelry trays, several binders, and a book I just finished reading and won't read again. I'm also parting with my mobile scrapbook cart and two rolling drawer units. Finally, one bath sheet that is so heavy, by the time you finish drying yourself after a shower, you're exhausted!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Finally, one bath sheet that is so heavy, by the time you finish drying yourself after a shower, you're exhausted!
LOL, I can just imagine that you work up such a sweat trying to get dry that you need another shower.

Good job of decluttering

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Does having ds, ddil, cat and dog out of the house count? :rolleyes: They were here all weekend with what happend to ds. finally getting the house back.
Got rid of one cup that was broken.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DH has gone through his wardrobe and there is a big pile of shirts sitting on the floor. Not sure if they are to be donated or kept so will need to ask. Hopefully they are out the door.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
One T-shirt and ball cap added to the thrift store box.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I unexpectedly ended up going through some things in our garage and now I have a few trash cans filled with broken items and lots of paper and cardboard to be recycled. I also dropped off 3 bags of books and 1 bag of clothes to the thrift store.

Reactions: luludou