July Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have a new declutter challenge that I am going to try this month. It involves doing different areas of the home or your personal items.
Day 1-3 are: Fridge and Freezer (inventory)
Pantry
and Kitchen cupboards
I am thinking going different directions each month will help me minimalize the contents of my home. I have lots of stuff that came back from Mom's house and will keep for a year and then decide what I use and love and may just let go of what is too much. I just don't want my kids to have deal with so much. I want to make it as easy as possible.
Well, today is a good day to do the fridge and freezer as it is trash day tomorrow and we are going grocery shopping.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Today I watched a youtube of the Minimal mom and one of the phrases she said stuck a chord with me. She chose a bowl and said if there was spontaneous combustion, would I miss it? would I go out and rebuy it or would I just be happy I didn't have to deal with it? I have alot of things that could go in that category that I could get rid of when I think about it that way.

DECLUTTER FASTER with this tool! - YouTube

I did the fridge freezer this week and I threw out a few things that had been there way too long.

The next thing on my list are 2 tubs of fabric... I will probably not sew much in the future (just not my thing) so I will try to keep no more than 1 tub (less if I can!). will pack it up and give it to my cousin who is low on money but can do wonders with fabric. She will be happy about this and so will I!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
will pack it up and give it to my cousin who is low on money but can do wonders with fabric. She will be happy about this and so will I!
It's wonderful your cousin can use the fabric. Having so much of one thing is why it is so hard to declutter. I am giving a load of fabric to a friend for quilting. She said if she can't use it she will give it to others in her quilting group. It does make you happy to know where it is going and that someone really wants it.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Allen took a dresser like thing to Peggys (resale/flea market) this a.m.. I purchased back when Jaymee was redoing her house and she liked it but no place to put it. Put it in Aunt I’m’s one shed to store. I like it but no place for it. 3 drawers then 3 shelves for baskets. Black and distressed! So it is moved out and won’t be coming home.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I've got a big bag full of fabric & fabric scraps (emptied a full tub) and about 10 patterns to give away. wanted to give it to my cousin but I don't know when I'll see her (she lives 3 hours from here)... so I might try to give it to someone else or bring it to the thrift store.
Have a ceramic milk bottle for fridge desodorizer in the donation bag.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Gosh ... we were just talking about this on here ...

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I watched the video this morning too! Added a plastic kid bowl to the recycling.

Reactions: jampss

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
My list of area to declutter this were are:
4th - Kitchen Drawers
5th - MBR Nightstands
6th - MBR Dressers
7th - Jewelry and Purse
8th - Shoes
9th - MBR Closet
10th - Paperwork

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Everyone is doing so well. It is cold here and it makes it hard to think about decluttering

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Sent DS(29) home with his things I decluttered last week.
DS(36) told me what I give him just sits in a box because he doesn't want to feel guilty for throwing things I saved for him away. I told him was up to him what to do with it -- I was not taking responsibility throwing out thing he may have wanted. I did not care what he did with it. Apparently the kids born in the 80's are not nostalgic. I am working toward a comfortable minimalism. It will take a while because I have to get through the emotional/guilty of what mom left me. I am giving myself a year of living with what I got from her and then will keep what I love and share the rest with others who may love it more.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I am giving myself a year of living with what I got from her and then will keep what I love and share the rest with others who may love it more.
I think this is a very reasonable decision. Grief counselors say to not make any major changes/decisions (except those absolutely necessary) for at least 6 months after a loved one passes away. This isn't the same, but we've now lived in our house 1 year. In that year, I realized what I did and did not want, as well as what I was comfortable letting go. I also took the approach that what I was getting rid of could be a blessing to someone else.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Working in dining room yesterday and I threw away 3 pairs of jeans that were laid in there to be patched (that were not really practical to patch). of course more paper and stuff that has been piling up. Hope to finish in there today so then when I start front room from stuff from Aunt Im's I can repile on table to sort!!! LOL! What a cycle--but gotta get thru it.