July: Finish Stocking Stuffers Month

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Here at Magical Holiday Home we are officially declaring July.....Finish Stocking Stuffers Month....so along with Christmas in July....the goal is to finish up all your stocking stuffers....We can do it ladies (and gentlemen)....Let's get our list updated so we know exactly what we need to do in JULY.....and then we will finish stocking stuffers!!

Personal Note: Last year I really cut back on stocking stuffers (it had gotten out of hand) and no one noticed or cared. A few carefully chosen items are just as good as a mirage of this and that. It's easy to get out of hand when you pick up little items here and there but in the end if they are just tossed aside then it is a waste of time and money.

Also in an effort to minimize the craziness...I decided to not do the 24 gifts this year (amidst some moaning from the girls).....Instead I will be giving a St. Nicholas Day gift (it will be a basket of little items and things that typically might be included in the 24 gifts but not 24 of them just a nice little assortment) That way I can sooth my urge to pick up little goodies but also simplify it somewhat. In addtion if they are "holiday items" they are given early enough in the season to be used...rather than held back for the following year!

:gingerbread:

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I could really use some suggestions for stocking stuffers. I sometimes think girls are easier b/c things like jewelry/hair stuff/make up are all small. we have more than enough matchbox cars, crayons and colored pencils.

My boys are 6,9,11. I also don't want a bunch of trinkets that will be like the happy meal toys. They want them then 1 wk later are forgotten. I am thinking of a gift card for MP3s since they have players and I am hoping to get them new ones for Christmas. They always get some candy and a tooth brush, sometimes a book but past that I don't usually know what to get them. i have the hardest time w/ stocking stuff.

any ideas?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Boys are always a problem! so much harder to buy for!

I each include a little $$
a tootbrush
a lottery ticket (they are teens)
Chocolat
A christmas ornament
socks
underwear
Gum
Deodorant
Shaver
Candy

Other ideas:
- sports card
- collection coin from birth year
- Popcorn seasoning
- hot rod sausages
-

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I just sorted through my stocking stuffers.....so I know where I stand...still a ways to go but still looking good.

Piratemamaof3boys: I'm like you...too much little junk stuff...but boys are hard...Evan will be four at Christmas and its a challenge.

Is your 11 allowed to go to movies with friends? Maybe a ticket to local theater? They aren't too outrageous.

I'll think some more and see if I can come up with other items...

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
sports cards/collector are good. they all collect some version of them. I did find at Target, on clearance, some mini tanks, I do kow they will like them but only got a few. Keep the good ideas coming, hopefully we can inspire each other. I would love to get this, mostly, crossed off my list.

Ginger-I saw at Target and Walmat something new w/ the collector cards your DS might like. It's a sticker book for $1 (WM has how to train your dragon, Target-Toy story or Cars) The book comes w/ one pack of stickers and the stickers are also $1. It is pictures w/ numbered places to put the stickers, that are the size of baseball cards. I thought that was a pretty good deal and got it for DS6 for his birthday. I am going to see if my nephews would like them and get a set and a bunch of cards.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Since your kids like collecting cards, you could add some card pocket holders that go in binders. Maybe you could add a gift card for an ice cream place like Cold Stone or a food item or Soda you don't often want them to have. I'm not sure if your boys are into this yet, but mine love the skateboard/name brand decals (DC, AUDIO, NO FEAR etc.) They put them on everything (helmets, binders, furniture :( ). Is there a toy they play with alot, like legos, action figures, army toys etc? Some things my boys love are gum, colored/patterned laces for their hockey skates, but they have them for shoes too. Target usually puts some dvd's on sale for $5.00 in December, maybe you can find one they will like. Since they have mp3 players, maybe you can find some fun headphones. I saw packages of colored earphone cushions at dollar tree. They had mini plug in speakers too. Since you buy them books, maybe a fun bookmark. My boys have also gotten alot of themed card games (Loot, Lie detector, etc.) and travel games. I'll add more if I can think of anything else. Boys are really hard.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I agree that boys are the hardest, I always struggled a little bit when they were younger. I would put little lego, bubble bath, soap, undies, sox, chapstick, deodorant roll on(they think they are so grown up), tooth brush/paste, small jigsaw puzzles, homemade vouchers for treats like 1 day of not making your bed, or 1 trip to Mc Donald for a happy meal, pool toys, seeds for planting in the garden, hair gel etc.

That is the sort of thing I would put in a stocking. Hope it helps

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Have two boys - 10 & 12. Some items we've done (some are repeats - sorry!)
-Scratch off lottery tickets
-New hair brushes
-Boy scented body wash
-Playing cards with fun picture on them
-Luggage lock (they LOVED this as it kept their duffles bag from other brother when they went on a family trip)
-Bike lock
-Paper block in the shape of their first initial (Michael's $ section)
-Word Search books
-Caps
-Bomber for caps
-Small magic trick
-Magnets of their favorite team, hobby, sport, etc. (especially popular with locker aged kids)
-Journals
-Flashlight
-Batteries
-Shampoo
-Modeling Clay
-Small model
-Joke Book
-Mechanical Pencils
-Water Bottle
-Character bandaides (mine are too old for these now)
-Stay up late coupon

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
After the kids are back to school you can always find notebooks, folders, pens/pencils, etc. really cheap...I stock up on ones from their favorite sports teams. By January, my nephews are usually in need of replenishment and they love these! Basketball and hockey items will be on sale soon. Look for baseball items in November.

If you buy new mp3 players, don't forget a case or "skin" to protect it. These also come in a variety of colors and styles, so you can personalize them to each boy. I second the recommendation for cool headphones &/or speakers - the ultimate accessory! iTunes gift cards are great and come in denominations as low as $10. I would also recommend amazon.com gift cards...can be used for books, music, DVDs and video games. You can also print them from home if you want to - great for the last minute shopper!

Last year I gave my godson (10yo) a book on how to draw Star Wars characters and he loved it. These books come in every imaginable theme (cars, dinosaurs, etc.) Add some black, gray and white drawing pencils, a good eraser and a drawing tablet and you have a nice gift. It would also fill up a large portion of a stocking!

My son (soon to be 5) loves character T shirts...everything from TV shows to movies. I can generally pick them up at Old Navy or Target for under $7...but at the end of the season, everything is marked down and you can get them even cheaper. I have seen these all the way up to men's sizes. Roll one up and stuff it in the stocking!

HTH! If I think of anything else I'll post it!

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
What a fantastically inspiring thread! I have boys too and I am getting revved up for stocking shopping reading all your wonderful ideas! All I can think to add right now would be a hair cream or gel(maybe colored if you are so inclined) a necklace(DS10 is into the dog tag type chains) and a movie gift card.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
those are all great ideas thanks!! I will be making a list of these to help me as I shop. We have done the how to draw books and they like them ok. But maybe I will look into some comic books and kids puzzle type books are always good for them. B/c I like school supplies we have notebooks coming out of our ears LOL they have not quit developed my addiction to notebooks. I do like the idea of putting a shirt in there. There are baseball style cards that come w/ dogtag necklas that's good. And of course those silly bands, I know some boys like them.

Recently my boys all got a Wallet and they like that, they came from the boys section of target and are on a chain to attach to the belt. We have a gazillion lego sets but I am going to check e-bay and see if I can get a good deal on just people. They always want more people.

Also in the baseball card section are these packs that come w/ mini models. DS11 likes the ones that are plastic, you punch out and make Nascar cars.

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
My 7 year old DS usually gets street hockey balls, lacrosse balls, chap stick, hockey tape, skate laces in crazy colors and a magazine.

He likes hockey, baseball and fishing, so I will pick up a magazine devoted to one of those things, plus the most recent issue of Sports Illustrated. He looks at them for hours.

Also, last year I got him some cute headphones for his iPod that looked like M & M's.

I am stealing the idea of getting him a wallet. He'll love that!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
thought of 2 more things at the grocery store. I always do some candy but how abuot their favorite snack DS6 likes goldfish and DS11 wants beef jerky but doesn't get it a lot.

Also a magazine subscription. Who doesn't like mail all year long? And put the current issue in the stocking w/ a note saying they will get more all year.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We have 2 kids, DD will be 9 and DS will be 4 come Christmas. So far I only have a few stocking stuffers.

For DD:
Have:
Slipper socks
chapstick
scented body wash
scented lotion

Still need to get:
Color Pencils/water paints/erasers/crayons - waiting until back to school sale
M&Ms
Christmas socks
Book
Tooth brush

For DS:
Need to Get:
Crayons
Christmas socks
M&Ms
match box cars
slipper socks
Book
Tooth Brush

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I will be noting all of these great ideas for boys for future Christmases!

Does anyone have ideas for a baby boy's stocking?

Small toys I guess? Teethers - if he is still teething (he'll be 10 mo) What else?

Last edited:

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Does anyone have ideas for a baby boy's stocking?

You are going to have so much fun this year AuntJamelle!!! How about cute socks, board books, mittens, a new hat for winter, of course his first Christmas ornament!

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
AuntJamelle, how about some new bath toys, bubble bath, a stuffed toy, some teddy grahams and and a new snack container (I found a teddy graham bear shaped one for my nephew).

I thought of a few other small things my kids have loved
Their own Christmas mug
knee hockey sticks (they play this everyday)
a referee whistle that goes on your finger (ds10 favorite present last birthday.....go figure)
poster of their favorite players
number decals to put their jersey number on their helmets
bobble heads (they have photo frame one's too for different sports)
pajama bottoms in either their favorite team or cartoon character
ds12 is always wanting me to get him a new accessory for his fish tank
my kids love to draw with colored pencils
Walmart usually has cool colored marbles, maybe add a book of marble games

Those kid concoctions books are pretty neat too, lots of stuff for them to make, also paper airplane books.

Jackfrosty, we get little colored hair gel sample packs when the kids get their haircuts. Ds10 really loves them.