Jumpstart January 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I so understand that dilemma, Katrina! I try to do the minimum in the summer (June - August in my neck of the woods). We spend more time outside so I don't think about cleaning as much. That's why I need the HGP in September! :oops:

Reactions: jampss

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
FEBRUARY 2018

What I have done so far and what is planned for this month ...

For some reason ... I jumped around from area to area ... but oh well, something is getting done! LOL

The first two weeks of Jumpstart January will be Christmas Recovery....

January 1-15

[X] De-decorate living room
[X] De-decorate tree
[X] De-decorate the kitchen and the dining room
[X] De-decorate outside
[X] Sort through gift closet
[X] Clean out Christmas notebook, print updated pages
[X] Clean out refrigerator.....get rid of any lingering leftovers.
[X] Put away holiday DVDs, music, books etc. on Christmas Shelf in living room
[X] Organize gift wrapping box/storage spot...put in new rolls of paper, tissue, ribbons, tags, and bags, etc
:D

Computer Desk Area/ Craft/ School Room

[] Go through desk drawers
[X] Dust and organize the pile of paper crap by the computer
[] Air blow out inside of computer ... hubby helps
[] Go through filing cabinet, organize the home school files
[X] Go through shelves above the computer, organize, give away (contains books, Christmas bags, boxes of stuff)
[X] Go through book cases, organize, give away
[X] Organize under large craft table
[X] Organize, closet, give away unused items (contains craft stuff and stuff-stuff)
[X] Dust everything else
[] Go over bulletin boards and take off old news
[X] Vacuum
:)

Front Porch
[X] Clean the light fixture.
[X] Sweep the porch.
[X] Sweep down the walls and get rid of cobwebs.
[X] Wash the windows
[X] Trim hedges
[] Front Door oiled
[] New door wreath/decoration
:)

Kitchen Surfaces/ Kitchen Inside Cabinets & Such
[] Wash down all fronts of cabinets
[] Wash down frig, stove, micro, dishwasher
[] Wash down all counter tops
[] Organize Cabinets Under: Sink, By Stove, By phone
[] Organize Cabinets Upper: Sink, By Stove, By phone, Above frig
[X] Clean out frig and wipe down
[] Wipe out stove
[X] Clean inside dishwasher w/vinegar rinse
[] Wipe out microwave w/vinegar
:rolleyes:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I was following a cleaning/decluttering plan from a blog that I follow. It is just too hot here at the moment, still hovering around 100 degrees daily. I am going to wait for a few more weeks and start the first week of March. March 1st is the beginning of Autumn for us so should be cooler.
Have altered my planner to show the new plans.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm just keeping up with basics right now. Since there's been more activity here that I expected and things are getting done at a slower pace.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I've gotten sidetracked with the cleaning. Instead, I've been in a painting mode. I painted some furniture in February and I've started on painting the kitchen cabinets. I hope to get back into the swing of things after Easter.

How are things coming along for everyone else?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Doing OK here now that the weather is cooler. I have done both of the bathrooms from top to bottom and hopefully I can maintain them. The main bathroom has a lot less clutter since DD moved out.
Today I am starting on the study, I am hoping to get that finished this week.
If I decutter and deep clean a room a week the house will be done and ready for Winter by the time it gets too cold.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I too need to do one room a week so I can get to spring! In Autumn it'll be mostly the basement.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie, there is always something to do isn't there. I always seem to be preparing for something, Winter, Summer, Christmas, always cleaning.

Reactions: luludou

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
:rolleyes:I did manage to clean up the shoe shelf in the laundry room ... wipe and vacuum and ask everyone IF they were still using all these shoes!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I find that the hardest thing to do is to get everyone else on board. I can clean every room in the house but am always waiting for DH to do his part. His wardrobe needs tidying and the garage needs doing. Not something I can do with out his help.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I find that the hardest thing to do is to get everyone else on board. I can clean every room in the house but am always waiting for DH to do his part. His wardrobe needs tidying and the garage needs doing. Not something I can do with out his help.

Oh my gosh, I don't know if I shared this here before or not but my dh and I were married a few years with just a baby when I went through the house decluttering things room by room. I got to the basement and dh's work bench. I decluttered it. :) Yeah, can you see where this is going?

I didn't see it as a problem at the time but now I do. My dh was livid and I was clueless to why. Apparently it is true that one wife's junk is one husband's treasure. ROFLOL! That work bench has not be decluttered since.

I did the same thing with dh's clothes. He had this Rush T-shirt that he wore threadbare. It was in the laundry and when I was folding it, I thought it would be better to use as a rag. Dh was not happy about that either. :oops:

I want to do spring cleaning but for me that also includes outdoor work. It's been rather wet and chilly in March and straight into April. I think this week, I'll get in a good cleaning with the family still on Easter break. Then we can look into cleaning the outside of the windows and the siding. Moss loves to grow on the siding.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, I agree. As a newlywed I thought that some of DH's clothes had seen better days so out they went. A few weeks later he was looking for something and he was not happy that it was gone. I am pretty careful now.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Agreed! I have gotten "in trouble " more than once for just moving DH's clutter. Drives me nuts that stuff will sit for weeks, MONTHS, if I let it! Top of his dresser is a dumping ground, and one corner of our kitchen island is where he has what I call a "perma-pile"...Ugggghhhh

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I've been in such a cleaning slump since Easter. I have to get back into cleaning mode. I need accountability so I'll post on here.

This week's to do:

Front Porch
Clean the light fixture. Done
Sweep porch. Done
Sweep cobwebs. Done

Kitchen
Wipe down cabinets. Done
Wipe down appliances. Done
Sweep floor. Done

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Holiday_Mom. Good job on getting those things ticked off the list. A nice feeling.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Agreed! I have gotten "in trouble " more than once for just moving DH's clutter. Drives me nuts that stuff will sit for weeks, MONTHS, if I let it! Top of his dresser is a dumping ground, and one corner of our kitchen island is where he has what I call a "perma-pile"...Ugggghhhh
I solved that problem with some plastic totes, one in each room where there is clutter. Whatever I find not where it should be goes in the tote. Now "Where's my......." gets a standard "Did you look in the tote?". I do a happy dance when VIc finds something in the tote and says "Oh, I don't need this anymore, we can toss it".;)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
DH put wheels on our trash drawer (holds two large bins) and I took advantage of the situation to clean well underneath/inside that cabinet and then underneath all the kitchen cabinets, etc. There is "dead" space there that was originally meant to have large shallow kick-drawers put in but for now just catches dust bunnies.

I think we're just going to close up the space and be done with it!!!

Also went around kitchen and cloroxed spots/stains on cabinets and floors and doors. Cleaned floor inside of living room closet as well.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I know everyone was discussing Spring Cleaning, but does anyone else do a HGP type cleaning in the summer. I've found from years past, but the real deep, room, by room cleaning I do more successfully in the summer. Come Fall it's just too hectic for me and I always fail. So usually if it goes as planned I start in July and end in September...At least for the deep clean. Then I can follow along for the holiday plan portion. I just have to do a purge at least once a year and it's that time again. Years ago, I remember others following along at another point in the year as well. I came to my computer tonight to work up that schedule and thought I'd check in here as well.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I do a very big clean twice a year,
My next one will start in September and I do room by room and it will take to early November.
The next one I do is in Autumn starting in about April finishing about June. It is not an absolute plan but it has evolved to suit me. I do it in the months as they are less busy and it is pleasant weather here.
In the meantime I just do simple jobs like vacuuming and dusting.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I do deep-cleaning in the spring. too hot in summer but on rainy days I continue and finish in the Fall... I go around evry room once a year. In between is just maintaining and I keep on the decluttering - that helps ALOT when the cleaning comes around... less stuff, so much easier!