Jumpstart January 2019

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Definitely a possibility. The printer is located here, as well as the router. The router can't be moved but the printer could if need be. Forgot to mention those things.

I have an armor desk which is used more as a charging and supply station then an actual desk (The kids each have a desk in their rooms) so no need to make this fully functional desk. I use the base as a charging station and that is where the printer is too.

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
I'd like to climb on board. I've been purging Christmas décor too. I did a little last year, and will do more this year as I put things away. I inherited all of Mom's things when she died, and she had tons of Christmas stuff, going back to the 50s (before my time). As I go thru things, I'm keeping a lot of vintage things I remember always being displayed when I was young. And I've given some stuff to siblings, especially something they or their kids made or something I know meant something to them. Whatever no one wants goes to Goodwill. I gave a large Santa figure to some nieces/nephews too. Let them pick. Every little bit out of the house sure helps!
My utility room is my storage area, and it's bulging with stuff. I have to be in the mood to go thru things, though...it's hard...sometimes I get too sentimental and have to stop. I want to keep some things from my parents and from my DH (all deceased), but also move ahead to make things "mine". If that makes sense.
Also, I can't go up to Frankenmuth, Michigan's Bronners Christmas store if I don't have room for anything new. LOL

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Sometimes with sentimental items that you really do not want to keep except for the memories, you might find by taking a photo will fill the need to keep it. It's not the object you want but the memory.

Reactions: jampss

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have to be in the mood to go thru things, though...it's hard...sometimes I get too sentimental and have to stop. I want to keep some things from my parents and from my DH (all deceased), but also move ahead to make things "mine". If that makes sense.

I can get sentimental too with items. I've found that if I allot a section of the basement (our storage area) for totes with sentimental items, then I can go through the rest of the stuff. Then every year or every other year, I go through the totes to see if anything still has sentimental value to me. If I'm on the fence, I keep it.

I also like the idea of taking pictures of things that Ahorsesoul suggested. I have done that with my childrens' art projects that I kept for years. That helped me not feel so guilty about tossing them.

We're still celebrating Christmas here. I won't get to decluttering the basement until next week. I think if I just spend 15 minutes a day, I can get through it without it seeming impossible. It would be nice to finish it in January but I think that is asking too much.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, I like your idea about the sentimental storage. I am fairly sentimental about certain things and find that I keep things just in case. At least this way the things are out of the way.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Another thing to ponder is whether or not the item is sentimental because we love it/the memories or out of guilt or the thought that we "ought" to keep it.

If I'm remembering right, one of the Konmari principals is only hanging onto things that bring you joy.

When I'm debating whether or not to keep certain things I try to ask myself that question :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, I have never looked into the Konmari method. It would be interesting to read it and see if it would work for me and our house.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I will toss broken or missing pieces and box up things worth passing on.

Have you considered posting those pieces that aren't complete on some swap/selling sites? There may be people who would love to buy them to complete some things they have with missing pieces to make them complete!

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Have you considered posting those pieces that aren't complete on some swap/selling sites? There may be people who would love to buy them to complete some things they have with missing pieces to make them complete!

You know, Miss Jane, it never occurred to me to do that. Hmmm... You've given me something to think about...

Reactions: missjane

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I ended up starting on the decluttering a few days earlier than i planned. One box is filled.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Did some more decluttering in the bedroom - looks even better now. Moved a couple pairs of sandals upstairs with other summer things.Got all our boots and shoes on the shoe racks instead of scattered around on the floor.

Reactions: Miss JoDee

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
My Christmas declutter/jump start is going slowly as my back has been out of whack and still getting treatment. Sure makes it hard to purge but I'm still doing little bits here and there and it will add up!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We always have to rearrange rooms in order to make Christmas happen. I worked on putting the kitchen, living room and family back in order from Christmas. Bathrooms got a good cleaning too. I sorted through some more things from the basement.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Hot here for the next 6 weeks or so. Need to do little jobs so this weekend will be sorting out my clothes. I can sit in my closet and really decide what I want to keep and what needs to go. I also want to start a list of what I might need for Winter although I got a few things after last Winter.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I have been to Frakenmuth Michigan.... I was little so I don't remember much. My dad is from that part of Michigan.

I am decluttering my whole house... we have our son's graduation in May and I want it to look nice in case people stop by to congratulate him.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Making headway in the basement. I shredded old paperwork I found down there. I have also found bags of Christmas cards from over the years. Part of me just wants to toss the Christmas cards without looking but the sentimental part wants to grab the pictures that I left in the cards before I do.

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
Well, I sorted and rearranged, and now have a couple of empty plastic tubs, and some more things for Goodwill. That's something anyway. :)

Reactions: Miss JoDee

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
horsemama,that is great work. I believe that anything out the door is a bonus. I need to be more ruthless this year. I still have way too much stuff.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
sweetpumkinpye, thanks for the encouragement. I still have too much stuff, too, but little by little we'll get a handle on it. :)
Absolutely. I think if we take our time and really go through our stuff we are more likely to get a handle on it. My aim is to go through room by room this year (starting when it cools down a bit) and really look at how I want our house to look and feel. I know that it will take time but that is OK too.