June 2016 Decluttering

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have 4 1/2 bags of items to take to Goodwill today. All from my craft room. The 1/2 bag is empty slide containers from my Dad. Not sure anyone will want them but if the right person sees them they will snap them up since they have not been used. I'm keeping one round and one straight one for the slides I haven't printed yet. Then the container will go and the slides will be mailed to my brother. After that I will talk myself into getting rid of the slide projector and screen. If I ever want to look at slides I know our library has the equipment to borrow.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Since I was having to decide on clothes to take for camp, I went through my closet and removed things I didn't wear last season. I'll store them until the consignment shop is taking fall/winter clothes, as most of them were for that season.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Jane, That was great planning on the fall clothes.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Sold bunch of stuff on a local FB yard sale site. Not only did I make more room in the garage I also made a few bucks too. I have 3 trash bags of the kids clothes they outgrew and a tote full of toys that I need to tag for a kids resale event being held near by this fall.

Threw away a bunch of stuff too. I have a box of clothes that I need to drop off at one of those donation boxes.

Hoping to be able to start cleaning out the shed this weekend. I am sure there a few things in there that can be thrown away, donated or sold.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I have spent all morning cleaning, clearing, decluttering and organizing in my family room. When we added an entire apartment for my FIL onto my house I lost my huge craft room and a huge storage room which is now his living room and bedroom. All of this "storage" stuff was piled in my family room and has been like this for 6 months now. I couldn't stand it anymore. We have about 35' of bench seats along one wall in the family room. They hardly had anything in them so I started clearing and arranging like items into each bench seat bin. After 8 hours, 2 outdoor trash receptacles overflowing and my SUV full on items going to donation centers, I'm only 1/2 finished in this room. It feels terrific.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I went through a two drawer file cabinet. There are a lot of school papers for my children in the bottom drawer and the top is being used as a place to hold all the monthly bills and receipts in files and my budget notebook. My table was always covered with paperwork.

Now to purge my way through the other 2 drawer cabinet uggg it is filled with old old papers and manual of things we no longer have. One file at a time for this one.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
JoDee, I am so impressed with you on tackling those files and paperwork. This is my nemeses and I'm really going to have to tackle that soon.

I decided that I was going to wash down the outside of my kitchen cabinets today. I fixed a nice tub of murphy oil soap and warm water, wiped down the first pantry door and opened the door. Never open the door unless you are happy with what's inside. That one action left me clearing and declutter most of my kitchen cabinets and drawers. Another outdoor receptacle is full and another pile to go to Goodwill. The bucket of water is still sitting there but now I'm too exhausted to wipe down all the cabinets. LOL

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
The bucket of water is still sitting there but now I'm too exhausted to wipe down all the cabinets. LOL

That bucket of water was your inside cabinets blessing! Great job on decluttering!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
June i cold here and I focus on other activities, crafting, etc.
Come September though and I will be right back on the decluttering band wagon.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
The decluttering is hard to do here with summer and outside activities.. I might do some during my vacation week alone (if it rains!) or else it'll be more in the Fall.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Okay MHH Friends, remember in post 5 I told you of my great decluttering in the family room? I got sidetracked in the kitchen and finally got back to it.
'
My advice for today is BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU UNCOVER.

Saturday I decided to get back in there only to come face to face with a large snake. I called Animal Control and I knew it was bad when the first officer called for back-up. Three hours later they had captured a 5' snake in my family room. It took me two days to bring myself to go back in there. Yesterday I decided to pull my big girl panties up and finish my family room only to come face to face with yet another large snake. I called Animal Control and this time they couldn't find it. I closed off that room and I'm not going back in until that thing is found. DH was out of town and thought it was funny. It just so happens my freezers are on the other side of the doorway where the first one was captured. Eventually he'll want to eat but until then I'm not retrieving food to cook from that freezer. We'll see how long he finds it amusing.

I went back to work in the kitchen and decluttered the medicine cabinet and I think today I will work on the bedrooms some more.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Ellen, snakes have been really bad here. They think it's because of all the water. The old wives tale is "if you find one, there are at least 5 more!"

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Ick! Snakes that big are not nice to find in the house let alone outside. Just told Dh I didn't want to live in your part of the country. lol

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
ok, that is not the part I want to see in Louisiana! yuck! snakes I think I would've had a hart-attack Ellen

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
DH is hard at work replacing and rebuilding the walls in there. I guess he's getting hungry. LOL

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I've been decluttering the basement. I have 2 bags to go to the Goodwill donation center. I threw out 8 bags of garbage and burned 20 empty boxes. The rest got priced and is ready to go out on Saturday for the garage sale. Some of those boxes were moved in when we moved here 6 years ago and never touched....so out they went.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Sunday I also dropped off a sack at Goodwill.

Tonight when going to the hospital I will take another sack to Goodwill and have a sack of magazines to take to the hospital.

Cleaning in our room I got about 1 1/2 sacks of trash out. Papers and stuff that I decided to pitch.