June declutter club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
How is the decluttering going?

Yesterday I threw away 10 more vhs cassettes, but in a donation bag some gave away about 20 audio cassettes, 5 vhs movies, and 15 more books.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
LC and DD decided to have a garage sale so the items I'm decluttering I have sitting around. Do not like it at all.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I hate when the items we declutter sit around!! All my recent bags are in the closet waiting for when we go to mom's. I wish they were OUT the house.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Mini Mission Monday ~ 3June2013 from 365 Less Things
Monday – Declutter some computer related items. Old floppy discs you no longer have a drive for, outdated or unused CD-ROMs, unused components or even just old digital files you no longer need… .
Tuesday – Declutter some garden related items. Tools you don’t use, empty plant pots, bits of wood or wire that are rotting or rusted, seeds you are never going to plant… .
Wednesday – Declutter some money related items. Old money boxes, wallets, bill clips, change purses, coin sorters, coin wrappers or bags… . You could also drop foreign coins off to the bank for donation to charity or gather up all the coins that you have accumulated and cash it in at the bank by either depositing it into your account or getting bills in exchange.
Thursday – Declutter small hardware items that have accumulated. Excess screws, nails, drywall plugs, used sandpaper, multiple allen keys, washers… .
Friday – Declutter excess plastic kitchen storage items. I have discovered that there is often just as many of these items waiting to be used as there are ones in use. This means to me that, for the most part, I have more than I really need or else the majority of them would be in service most of the time. I think it is time I gave a few more to my daughter.
Saturday – Are there things in your laundry cupboards that need decluttering? Cleaners you no longer use, grubby rags, perished rubber gloves… ~ if so give this area a little decluttering.
Sunday - Sunday is reserved for contemplating one particular item, of your choice that is proving difficult for you to declutter. Whether that be for sentimental reasons, practical reasons, because the task is laborious or simply unpleasant, or because the items removal requires the cooperation of another person. That last category may mean that the item belongs to someone else who has to give their approval, it could also mean there is a joint decision to be made or it could mean that the task of removing it requires assistance from someone else. There is no need to act on this contemplation immediately, it is more about formulating a plan to act upon or simply making a decision one way or another.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DS FINALLY decluttered a pile of papers on his desk (I told him he needed some space to put his laptop)... so today I took another pile out of his closet and put it on his desk! ha!ha! maybe one day we'll go through it all.

Threw out the old curtain in the LR (was all changed with the sun) and put up the new ones.

happyalice

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
I'm joining in! I started on the Houseworks plan last week and I'm sticking with it, so far so good. Last night I went through my master closet and filled 4 30 gallon trash bags with clothes and shoes to donate. This morning I can actually see the closet floor! I have a babysitter tonight, so I'm hoping to get a window valance recovered for the bedroom and get some laundry done. I'm seeing progress!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Good job HappyAlice! Nice to see you posting & decluttering :)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Nice to hear from you alice.

happyalice

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
I did it! I recovered an 8' valance over a curved window for the master bedroom. I've been putting this project off ever since we moved into this house on Christmas Eve 2009...so I'm verrrrry glad to have it done! AND I got 2 loads of laundry washed and dried. I have one last nightstand to go through tonight, and then I'm calling the master bedroom DONE for the week! All I can say is thank goodness for baby sitters :)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Nice job Alice. I bet you just smile every time you walk into that room.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Hi everyone -- I've been locked out of the forums for a while. :( Been happening over the past few weeks. Not sure what's up with that.

Right now working on decluttering my wardrobe. Have been pulling items out to go to consignment and Goodwill. Haven't touched a lot of this stuff in years. Have recently lost a lot of weight so I need to get my wardrobe figured out as old stuff now fits again and current stuff doesn't. Also giving a critical eye to several pairs of seriously uncomfortable shoes that I should let go of (no matter how good they look). I'll be thankful in the fall when Houseworks Wardrobe week rolls around that I'm doing this now!

Also continuing to scan documents to make my office digital. Just switched to online banking for ALL of our banking (not just one account). That ought to kill the incoming paper!

happyalice

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
Well, last night I did get the last nightstand decluttered. Holy cow, I had no idea what was in that thing! It's mainly empty now except for a phone charger, a lamp and a box of tissues since I'm currently fighting a cold. I wiped down all of the furniture and woodwork and now the whole room sparkles :) My bedroom is NICE again!!

Now if I can take the weekend to relax instead of making up other chores to get done, I will have really accomplished something! Sometimes it's hard to get into relax mode after being so productive...I don't want to lose my momentum!

happyalice

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
How's everyone doing this month? This week is the boys' room, and since I had already gone through their closet (UGH) a couple of weeks ago, I only needed to clear out their dressers and see what survived the cut. I was really planning on DFS1 to be able to wear DFS3's summer clothes from last year, but that was not meant to be. They are in the same size, so they've both got a new wardrobe. I did go through the dressers and was sad to let go of the cloth diapers and burp cloths, tiny washcloths and towels. But...I am OUT of the baby business! LOL No More. So off they go to the local women's shelter and now I have room for extra diapers and wipes in a dresser instead of the closet floor.

Since I'm done with their room, I skipped ahead a little bit to next week last night and started on one of the guest room closets. Oh my...I changed jobs at the end of 2009 right when we moved to this house, and didn't have room for all of my "office toys" at the new office right away, so I crammed everything into this closet. I started going through rubbermaids last night and I can't believe how many catalogs, magazines, etc I had saved that are of absolutely no value. I'm going to have DH hang wire shelving on one side of the closet so I have a place for a little bit of storage, but the other side will be left empty for guest clothes, I hope!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
We too will be going through the kids clothing tomorrow. DS in particular. He keeps his closet fairly organized and it is such a joy to walk in there and just pick up a stack of hand-me-down summer clothes, have him try them on and -- voila! -- he has a whole new wardrobe. Then I can quickly edit and fill in the blanks on what he needs. Happiness. DD is a COMPLETELY different story. Utter chaos in her closet and very hard to get an idea of her true needs. And they both have closet organizing systems so there is no excuse. Ugh.

On the office: BIG BIG headway on pitching paper. Filled 2-3 bankers boxes with papers to recycle (and a partial one to be burned/shredded). All in an effort to go digital. More to go!

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
I have June allocated to my husband's hobby room, so my declutter focus is on taking out, and finding homes for, anything that's in there that isn't his. I'm pretty sure there are some Christmas decorations, and bits and pieces that belong to the kids (they tend to leave shoes and toys etc in there). Also old computer parts.

I've also allocated some money for some shelves and drawers for his things. At the moment there are a lot of boxes stacked and the workspace is limited due to all the paints and brushes etc that don't have anywhere else to go. Hopefully better storage will help!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
4pair of pants of ds's are out the door as well as a few instruction manuals for stuff we don't even have anymore.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Our first week of summer break was a busy one. Clothes decluttering is still going on. Photo and computer file decluttering is coming up soon. Have both a Mac and PC. Looking at the Hazel app to organize the Mac but haven't found anything to organize the PC -- but the photo and file clutter in there is driving me bonkers. (The result of importing to new computers over the years). Since I'm scanning in so many documents to declutter my office I really want my computer system organized too. Right now I'm using Evernote for that. Will let you know if I come up with anything brilliant. Wish I had a big block of time to dedicate to this but I just have bits and pieces of time so it is ongoing...