June Turkey Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I haven't cooked a turkey for awhile so I'm thinking of tossing one into the crock-pot for this months T-Day and review my Thanksgiving Notebook. It's in pretty good shape. I don't change my menu often so there isn't much to do keep it updated. The one thing I want to remember to do at Thanksgiving this year is to get a list of gift ideas from my family members. I forgot to do this last year.

I keep these lists for the scrapbook. While I was doing some cleaning this week and found the gifts lists from 2 years ago that still need to be scrapped.

It's never to early to start reviewing your menu so you can pick up canned goods that go on sale this summer. Prices always seem to go up on cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie filling when November rolls around. At least in my local stores.

So what are you planning for Turkey Day?

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
What day is Turkey Day??? I haven't picked up on that one yet... :pilgrim:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Turkey Day is the fourth Thursday of the month. It's on the same lines as Rudolph Day but more low key for Thanksgiving. Just a day to try new Thanksgiving recipes, detail our Thanksgiving plans and to think about what we are thankful of in our lives.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I like that...maybe it's a day I can actually THINK about writing in my "Thankful" Journal. I found 1 specifically for that in he Target dollar bin last year. Somehow I always seem to forget about it. :)

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
My plan for Turkey day is more of a Turkey month... I am putting a Thanksgiving poem on some pretty stationary to send to family and friends. I want to work on it a bit each Thursday of this month. Then when the first of November rolls around all I have to do is write each recipient a personal note at the bottom and mail them off.

That is the plan! (I had a different plan a few days ago.. amazing how things change).

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
cmerth,
What a lovely idea!

holidaymama

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
This is a section of my binder that is lacking right now! It's really hard to know where we are going to be for Thanksgiving...last year we flew home really unexpectedly...we found good deals on tickets and had the money in our checkbook, so we went for it! Not going to happen this year with ticket prices!

I guess I should be able to get the meal planned anyway because I always end up cooking it no matter where we celebrate ;-)

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
What I would like to do is start to create a menu and prepare a shopping list. I've spent too many Thanksgivings doing last minute food shopping for items I know I could have picked up earlier but forgot I needed it!! It's such a simple thing but I always put it off thinking that I have time. But not this year!! I truly do love Thanksgiving and I am so thankful for having my family.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I have had an idea for June Turkey Day -- but it is NOT FUN! My food cabinets are deep, long cabinets next to the floor. You have to sit on the floor to work in them. You have to lie down on the floor and stretch out - to reach into the back of them. For Turkey Day, I could take everything out of them and reorganize them. Even - horrible idea! make a list of what is stored in them.

My freezer is stuffed with old frozen food and things fall out every time I open it. I could reorganize that too - and even list that. Finally, my serving dishes are spread around in lots of places -- I could organize and list them too.

I DO NOT want to do any of those things. But I can see that they would be VERY good things to do for June Turkey Day.
:friendly:

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
SparkleNana and Terrylee 5151 I think I just might join you! After I make my menu and shopping list, maybe I will have enough time to go through my food cabinet, and check out the freshness dates. I have the same situation with my cabinets. I placed turntables all the way in the back so I could get to some of my can goods but it does take up a lot of the space. I can see a little better, but never know the expiration dates. I like the idea of making a list.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Merry - yes, you are right. The IDEAS are very good. The actual work.......... Well, I do believe this kind of work deserves a REWARD! A BIG reward!!!

There is a school for massage therapists nearby. An excellent, one-hour massage costs $35. I always feel I "don't deserve" a massage. There are so many other more worthwhile ways to spend the money. (The electric company thinks they are more worthwhile. so does the gas company, etc. etc.) But a job such as the one we are discussing -- THAT deserves a big reward - like a massage!

The smart person might call on Monday to schedule a massage. Since it is a school, they have breaks between semesters. So sometimes it takes weeks to get an appointment. But -- the appointment would create a very good deadline for getting this job done!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
One nice thing about Turkey Day is you can shop on it 10 months of the year without worry. There will be turkey somewhere.

BBQ turkey legs sound really good to me today.

What's everyone doing? I'm going to review my notebook and check to be sure I have a shopping list made for this year. I know I have to add the ingredients for the Dark chocolate chip pumpkin bars. Not sure if I put a copy of that recipe in the notebook either.

Happy Turkey Day to everyone.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Ahorsesoul-come on over! Dinner is at 6! Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, black-eyed peas (it's a southern thing) and something pumpkiny for dessert!! It's THANKSGIVING IN JUNE!! What a great kick off for Christmas in July, don't you think??

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
It sounds so good! I love black-eyed peas, we have them all the time. I learned to enjoy them when I lived in NC. I also learned how good sauerkraut is with turkey.

One thing I'd like to see added to our grocery shelves is canned turkey meat. You know those foil packs like our tuna now comes in now. We'd be able to make turkey salad for sandwiches. Or add the meat to our salads more often.