Kicking around an idea

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I have been kicking around an idea that I want to do for our kids this year and I could really use some opinions please.
Dh and I have discussed getting our kids new PJs for Christmas Eve but we did not want them to come from us. We also want to try to the Magic Elves and have visit with us from Dec 1st until Christmas Eve. So this is what I came up with:
Come Christmas our kids will be (ds)2 y.o. and (dd) 7 y.o. They will each have a small Christmas tree in their room. I want them to wake up on Christmas Eve morning to find a wrapped gift (the PJs) and a small stocking filled with little gifts along with a note from the Elves saying that they had to go back to the North Pole to make sure Santa got their wish list but have left them an early christmas present.

I always end up buying way more stocking stuffers then what will fit into their actual stocking. So I was either going to make a couple small stockings or just buy them and fill them with the over flow. I was also thinking about maybe buying them each a new Christmas movie to put in their stocking that they can watch that day.

We are planning a nice quite day home on Christmas Eve with just us since Christmas day is very busy for us as we host christmas breakfest and dinner for both sides of the family. I felt that this would spread the Christmas Magic out a little more.

Dh is still on the fence on this but when it comes to Christmas he always lets me plan and do what I want to anyway. What do you guys think?

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I think it is an awesome idea and the little stocking stuffers will be more appreciated on Christmas Eve as an early treat than the ones they get on Christmas morning. I always feel like those are overlooked in the hustle and bustleof gifts.

Another idea to consider instead of the stockings or maybe make it the theme of the stockings would be an Christmas art box. You can add little items from the dollar stores or even scraps from your own stash...and it will keep your 7 year old BUSY all day playing with and creating things with the art supplies. It is also more imaginative than some of the stuff I typically come up with for stuffers.....with my grandson I am working hard to move toward creative and imaginative rather than commerical stuff...

Here are some ideas:

1. Little Christmas stencils
2. Red and green paper
3. Scraps of wrapping paper you have addedas you wrap gifts
4. Tape
5. Red and green play dough
6. Christmas cookies cutters...you are buy a whole little box at the dollar store...they aren't that great for cookies but work great with play dough
7. A new box of crayons
8. Colored pencils with a sharpener
9. Watercolor set (if you are up to it...lol)
10. Ribbon scraps
11. Buttons
12. Pipe cleaners
13. Beads to string..red and green (keep away from littlest one!)
14. Old card fronts

Well you get the idea....you could create a little Christmas Art box, fairly cheap with scraps and just a few bought things. I like the movie idea too...nice treat!

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
Minta, I love the idea!!! I think it would be exciting for the children to find the pj's on christmas eve morning!

I love Gingerbug's ideas for the art box as well, since you said you want a nice quiet day at home....one way to ensure a child is quiet is to challenge their mind and turn them loose. It's always exciting to see what they produce. That's my kind of gift for children (of course, I'm old as the hills too)!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Thanks Gingerbug. I didn't even think of an art box. That would be perfect for our dd as she loves anything that has to do with art (coloring, painting, glue, etc). We have a dollar tree store here and they always have a good section of that stuff.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
That is a neat ideal with the pjs on Christmas Eve morning! The movie can be watched while creating from the art box! GREAT ideals. The art box would surely be a winner.

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
THAT IS A GREAT IDEA! MY KIDS ALSO ASK SANTA TO LEAVE THEM ONE PRESENT UNDER THEIR TREES IN THEIR ROOMS. YOUR KIDS WILL LOVE IT TOO! WHAT A NICE WAY TO GET YOUR ELVES INVOLVED!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
We have the elves deliver our children's new pj's on Christmas Eve. They are delivered to our front door while we are at Christmas Eve mass. After our dinner, the kids open the door to see if they came yet. Very cute and they love it!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Great Idea.

I think this year all Elves should be required to leave a small gift for the adults for being such good parents!

momof2boys

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
we also do the pj thing for christmas eve and dh and i exchange pj's also. ds7 is getting tired of this idea I love getting them the pj's and its a tradition that i think we will continue to do, but would like to add a twist. great ideas for the elves to leave with a little goodies.
On christmas eve we watch christmas movies and listen to christmas songs- while the boys draw pictures for santa.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Well we got the kids their Christmas Eve PJS the other day at Walmart. DH found a christmas themed Disney princess set for DD and I found a cute 2 piece flannel set that has several little moose and evergreen trees all over them for DS. They are so cute. The best part is that they were marked down to $5 each. Now we just have to find elves.

CanIGoAgain

Retire Member
Feb 19, 2008
Santa comes to our house on Christmas Eve, but even so, my girls keep begging to let them open just one gift that morning. So, I know, they would LOVE to have the elf give them a present they could open during the day. Only, our elf doesn't leave early. He is being picked up by Santa in the evening. I really like the idea of an art box, though. I think I will just put one together and when they beg to open a gift I'll have that ready for them.

Elle
See pictures of our elf and leprechaun at http://holidaysmemories.wordpress.com/

redfairy

Premiere Member
May 23, 2008
Utah
In our house, we get Christmas pajamas from the Christmas Pajama Reindeer on Christmas Eve. We open and wear them to bed, which is always a treat for the kids (my kids are 8, 6, 3 and 8 months). Plus, it makes for some great photo ops on Christmas Day as the kids are opening presents.