kitchen aid mixer advice??

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I think I want a Kitchen Aid mixer for Christmas. Any advice about which one?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I also wanted a kitchen aid, but here they are VERY expensive. I ended up purchasing a Breville brand(not sure if available overseas) and I am very happy with it.
Hope that you get the one you want, they are very pretty.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I have the 5 quart tilt head mixer. It will be 20 years old soon and still runs like new. It was a wedding shower gift from my employees when I was a mgr. at a dept. store. I have some attachments and use it pretty regularly. It is great for kneading bread, whipping anything and general daily use....cakes, cookies, etc. I highly recommend one. I also have a Kitchenaid hand mixer that is the same age and it still works beautifully. My appliances are classic white and red because they didn't have the fancy colors back then. Lol. The classic size fits nicely on the counter, too.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I'm not sure what sizes it comes in since I have an older one also, but I wouldn't advise getting the smallest one. Love mine!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Any of them will be great. I love mine, it's a smaller one but I do not make bread so do not need the larger one.

I would like one like these: http://un-amore.com

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Now, Diedra, you've spoiled me totally on just a plain mixer!!! lol

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to have to do some shopping and research. I'll probably end up with one that's on a Black Friday special, if I get one at all.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
DH's mom (that he doesn't really speak to) got us a Kitchen-Aide mixer when we first got married. I have a bunch of attachments for it and have never known how to use them or what they are for, so I only use it for mixing up cookies or dough. But it's definitely handy.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Jane...watch QVC for some kitchen aid deals in the coming months. They usually have great prices. If it comes up as a Today's Special Value, and you follow them on FB, you'll see that it's on sale.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Get one! Mine is I don't know how old and it's never had a problem!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Lisa, I don't get QVC, but I guess I can check online at the website.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have a 5QT Artisan Stand Mixer - in red :) LOVE it!

I ordered mine online when there was a sale and also ordered it through Ebates to get a little extra cash back. You might also be able to use a 20% off coupon for Bed Bath and Beyond if you want to buy it in person.

I used to have attachments for the mixer I had before the fire - meat grinder and a canning sleeve - loved them both and plan to get again.

This time around I bought an extra paddle for it that has the silicone "side swipe" stuff on it so that it scrapes the sides of the bowl as it mixes - love that!

I use my mixer for baking of course, but also to shred freshly cooked chicken a lot too. The canning attachment was great for making applesauce, etc. and we would use the meat grinder to grind up ham for ham salad - although I would occasionally grind up other types of meat for a particular recipe too.

Overall I love the product! Good luck finding the best deal! If you can bear to wait - there always seem to be online deals on Black Friday - Kohls might be a good option, then you earn Kohl's Cash too...

:)

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I have the 5 Quart mixer. Love it. Got it as a wedding present 20 years ago. We have a family of four and this size works fine for us. I use it for mixing cakes, cookies and breads. I never use any of the pasta attachments but I know they are available.

A few things I would consider.

If you have a large family, you might want a larger mixer. And if you bake gobs at a time, you might want a larger one. Mine is perfect for 4-5 people. I probably haul it out once a month. It is a manageable size and the bowl fits easily into the dishwasher. My neighbor with 7 kids chose a larger size than mine and it is in constant use.

I love my mixer but I wish it was a more timeless color. Mine is the dark blue - and it still looks and runs as good as the day I got it. But a few years after I received it, I changed my kitchen and I regretted not having the red. Now I have a stainless kitchen and the blue goes with absolutely nothing in the decor. I keep it in a cabinet instead of on the counter. If I had gotten stainless or black or white it could have gone with any decor.

Which brings me to the third point. Where are you going to keep it? On the counter or in a cabinet? If in a cabinet, be sure to measure your cabinets. The thing is pretty tall. it is also heavy and can be awkward to carry. (Mine doesn't fit in my kitchen cabinets and i have a custom kitchen so that was bad planning on our part). My father (bless him) built me custom shelves in an armoire and that is where it now lives.) If you want it on the counter, then the color becomes all the more important (well, if you care about things like that - you may just want a kitchen workhorse and color might not matter at all). :)

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
I also wanted a kitchen aid for several purposes..kneading bread, different kinds of dough...yeast..cookie dough..and also for cutting veggies and so on..and checked several websites for independent checks regarding longterm use..power..durability..and so on and kitchen aid was always on the lasts places...for my needs I bought the Bosch MUM and I'm very happy with its performance..