Lessons learned 2021

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
Our neighbors apartment caught on fire and torched the upstairs also. The next day I talked to the young wife and she showed me a binder marked with a cover that said "social security cards -driver's license- birth certificates - insurance docs....etc" She was smiling and said " I told my husband, if we ever have a fire, make sure you grab this binder" ......he did, most everything else is a loss.

I have a folder of articles about being prepared for an emergency, having a bug out bag .....we do keep shoes by the door.....so today is the day I begin to prepare this binder AND also one for my loved ones to fill with their important docs. ......and I found some kitchen fire extinguishers online.

Lesson learned.......it doesn't just happen to someone else.

be Blessed,

Laurie

2021 JOY

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Laurie, we live in a bush fire prone area. Our city has had 2 major fire emergencies, one in 2003 and one in 2020. We also have to remember that an emergency can also be a flood, storm or any thing that is unusual.
We have an emergency tote in our room. It is right next to our safe. If there is an emergency we grab our tote and the contents of the safe.
We have insurance papers, drivers licenses and other important documents on our phone. We just took photos of them all as we knew we would probably have our phone with us. The paper birth certificates and wedding certificates are in the safe.

Our tote includes
Towel x2
Blanket x2
Emergency blanket x2 (the foil reflective sort)
Garbage bags
Wind up torch/radio (plus the torch on our phone)
Emergency poncho x2
Goggles x2
Heavy gloves x2
Hand sanitiser x2
Hand warmers
Masks
Knife/Fork/Spoon x2
Pain medicine
Toilet paper
Emergency whistles x2
Multitool (Leatherman)
Phone charger cord (a generic one that can charge all phones)
Charging station.

In another area we have
2 litre water jug
Water additive
Muesli bars
Tinned fruits
Fruit bars
Baked beans
Dried soup mix
Oat satchets
Shelf stable milk
Sunblock
Insect repellant
First aid kit.

We have a bag packed with
Underwear/socks/bra
Sturdy boots plus a pair of thongs (flip flops?)
A full change of clothes
Hat or beanie
Warm jumper (even in Summer)
Toothbrush and paste
Deodorant
Entertainment (book crossword book and pen)
Medications and copies of scripts

And finally for the dogs.
Water and food bowls
Treats
Water
Tinned food and opener
Dried food
Blanket
Toys
Lead and harness.

All of this information is in my household binder. It seems like a lot to pack but it is all packed in 3 totes and 1 overnight bag. Easy to grab and pack in our car which we always ensure is full of fuel. I check these totes 3 or 4 times a year (once each season)

Last edited:

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
Laurie, we live in a bush fire prone area. Our city has had 2 major fire emergencies, one in 2003 and one in 2020. We also have to remember that an emergency can also be a flood, storm or any thing that is unusual.
We have an emergency tote in our room. It is right next to our safe. If there is an emergency we grab our tote and the contents of the safe.
We have insurance papers, drivers licenses and other important documents on our phone. We just took photos of them all as we knew we would probably have our phone with us. The paper birth certificates and wedding certificates are in the safe.

Our tote includes
Towel x2
Blanket x2
Emergency blanket x2 (the foil reflective sort)
Garbage bags
Wind up torch/radio (plus the torch on our phone)
Emergency poncho x2
Goggles x2
Heavy gloves x2
Hand sanitiser x2
Hand warmers
Masks
Knife/Fork/Spoon x2
Pain medicine
Toilet paper
Emergency whistles x2
Multitool (Leatherman)
Phone charger cord (a generic one that can charge all phones)
Charging station.

In another area we have
2 litre water jug
Water additive
Muesli bars
Tinned fruits
Fruit bars
Baked beans
Dried soup mix
Oat satchets
Shelf stable milk
Sunblock
Insect repellant
First aid kit.

We have a bag packed with
Underwear/socks/bra
Sturdy boots plus a pair of thongs (flip flops?)
A full change of clothes
Hat or beanie
Warm jumper (even in Summer)
Toothbrush and paste
Deodorant
Entertainment (book crossword book and pen)
Medications and copies of scripts

And finally for the dogs.
Water and food bowls
Treats
Water
Tinned food and opener
Dried food
Blanket
Toys
Lead and harness.

All of this information is in my household binder. It seems like a lot to pack but it is all packed in 3 totes and 1 overnight bag. Easy to grab and pack in our car which we always ensure is full of fuel. I check these totes 3 or 4 times a year (once each season)
Thank you Katrina, that is a great list......I will now plan to use many of your ideas!! Laurie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Laurie, you are welcome. I tend to be a bit of a worrier so feel much better having a plan in place. I do not want to wait until an emergency hits before we prepare.
I forgot to add that the whole family knows where to meet up if we are separated. We all meet at DD's house and then move on from there, It is important to have a meeting place.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I like your list, Katrina. I have to go through our binder and update things. A number of things have changed in the last year and I don't believe that I've updated that.
My circumstances have changed in the last year too. DS is no longer living with us so I don't need to worry about him. He has an identical emergency tote at his house. I did one for my Mum, I will need to remind her to check it.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
We also have a "code" phrase that we have memorized. If we know something is going to happen we can call DS and DDIL, use the phrase, and they will get their things and meet us at our house.

Haven't had to use it but it is there.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
We also have a "code" phrase that we have memorized. If we know something is going to happen we can call DS and DDIL, use the phrase, and they will get their things and meet us at our house.

Haven't had to use it but it is there.
I like the code word. We did have that when our son was little. If any one tried to pick him up at school or anywhere else he knew to ask them for the code word (booger, LOL). We only had to use it once during a emergency. He ask my friend who was came to pick him what the code word was.
I’ll have to suggest having a code to my husband and son. Everyone has good ideas!

Reactions: homemade4me

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
A friend told her family if a weird disaster happened that forced the people in the house to vacate, they would write in the wall in marker where they were going. This is for when other forms of communication were out. At the time there were no cell phones or computers.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
A friend told her family if a weird disaster happened that forced the people in the house to vacate, they would write in the wall in marker where they were going. This is for when other forms of communication were out. At the time there were no cell phones or computers.
This is a great idea. It would also let first responders etc know that you have left and are safe elsewhere.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I like the code word. We did have that when our son was little. If any one tried to pick him up at school or anywhere else he knew to ask them for the code word (booger, LOL).
Another great idea. Love the code word!!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Checking the emergency totes are on my to do list. Nearly Spring here and would like to have all plans in place before the storm season hits.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Revisiting this. We are now in the early days of Summer when the threat of bushfires and thunderstorms is much higher. I will double check the emergency totes early next week and replace anything. Will also make sure that all the totes are together in my room.

I suppose for you in the Northern hemisphere it is time to look at Winter emergency plans.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Oh, I do need to get warm items into the truck of my car.
Also I need to update my medical info card in my purse. I changed doctors so need to update that info on both mine and DD.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
A couple of thoughts (and reminder to self), I started my binder shortly after I retired (Sept. 2019) and never finished it. Perhaps that will be my New Year's Day project. I found the binder while cleaning my office area, with the tabs in place, but nothing else.

Also note, this can come in handy if you have to evacuate for virtually any circumstance. My niece had a 3-day-old newborn and her furnace went out (gas on, pilot wouldn't light; was concerned about carbon monoxide and gas leaking into the house). Temps in Chicago were below zero. She was able to pretty much grab her important papers (had just put baby's birth certificate in there) and go, and came to my place for a couple of days (I'm about 30 mins. from her), while her DH stayed at the neighbors until they could get a new one installed. Granted, she didn't need a full-blown bug-out supply, but she had the essentials already packed and ready to go.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Granted, she didn't need a full-blown bug-out supply, but she had the essentials already packed and ready to go.
I think that this is important. An emergency can happen at any time. Even if you have nothing physically packed it is good to have an list of what to pack and where things are. Keep the list on your phone.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Did I just see on the news Hawaii is expecting a blizzard? And Colorado is snowless in December? This may put a spin on everyone's bug out bag ! ! !

Laurie

Word for 2021 JOY
And Chicago has yet to have any measurable snow ... that usually happens in October. Global warming or what? Certainly making me think twice about preparedness.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul