Let's celebrate

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
May, and Mother's Day is often quite cold here:) I've had Memorial Day BBQ's in a winter coat.
:D We can hope that this year will be mild for both of us.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Yes, Mother's Day and my stepmom's b-day on May 16. The end of May is Memorial Day in US. Then Father's Day and my dad's b-day June 12 (oops, switch that around). DS18 b-day is in July.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Father's Day here is the first Sunday of September. Mother's Day is the same as yours, second Sunday in May.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I think we have a Grandparents Day in September here.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I think we have a Grandparents Day in September here.
I have never heard of Grandparents day. I don't believe that we have that here.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Need to look at what I have to do for Mother's Day and Mum's birthday.

Queen's Birthday in June but do not really "celebrate" that, although we get a long weekend. Then no more long weekends until October. We have a lot of holidays at the beginning of the year but not a one for July, August or September.

It would have been my Mum and Dad's 60th anniversary on June 30th so will buy a card and organise some flowers to be delivered.

Then DS birthday in July and then nothing else in the lead up to Christmas.

Will try and organise a family dinner for late October/early November. We try and do it early to free up dates around Christmas when we all tend to become busy with other things.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Our family doesn't celebrate Grandparent's Day because we acknowledge them on Mother's Day and Father's Day. However, the elementary schools and the high school my dc attend(ed) will do a Grandparent's Day. They will have a program to encourage grandparents (and other special older people in the students' lives). I think it's a win-win for the schools, the grandparents (and other special older people) and the students. My dad is the only sibling left in his family. He was invited to his grand-niece's Grandparent Day last year. I thought it was such a sweet thing to bond over.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mother's Day here tomorrow. There have no plans made and I would be surprised if my kids acknowledge the day.
I have spoken to my own Mum, she does not want to catch up tomorrow as DD, Mum and I are having lunch early next week for Mother's Day and Mum's birthday. Mum decided that she can wait until then to catch up.
DH will probably do something nice for me, I am hoping that he does a lovely roast dinner with all the trimmings, yum. That and a lay in will be wonderful.

ETA, the weather was perfect, a little chilly but sunny. Caught up with Mum after all and had a fabulous day.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mid June and the year is flying by. What is next on the seasonal calendar for you in the Northern Hemisphere?

I am looking forward to this week, not a holiday but the Winter Solstice, the shortest day/longest night of the year. Although we still have Winter for July and August the days will start getting longer in the lead up to Spring.

Reactions: jampss

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Katrina - it's the 4th of July - Independence Day that is next on the calendar.

There will be lots of patriotic celebrations, sanctioned and non-sanctioned fire-works, BBQ's and picnics.

This year, since it is a three day weekend - one of our remaining floating holidays, there will probably be even more of the above.

We will be going to a friend's family BBQ on Saturday and doing our own small BBQ with one friend on the big day itself.

Then, nothing until Labor Day in September.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
The newest US holiday is Juneteenth, which will be officially celebrated on Monday. This new holiday commemorates the emancipation of enslaved African Americans and marks the anniversary of the announcement of General Order No. 3 by Union Army general Gordon Granger on June 19, 1865, proclaiming freedom for enslaved people in Texas. It was first recognized as a federal holiday in June 2021. While it's been celebrated in some communities for years, it is relatively new to me (as a holiday) and I really cannot speak to traditional celebrations, customary foods, etc. Just throwing it out for the list, since it is now a federal holiday in our country. And it will be followed shortly by Independence Day aka July 4th.

Reactions: jampss

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
The newest US holiday is Juneteenth
Lori - thanks for the reminder. Although I've known about it for years and DS and DDIL are off for the holiday - it just slipped my mind.

Happy Juneteenth to all who celebrate tomorrow, no matter how they celebrate!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Happy Juneteenth to all who celebrate tomorrow, no matter how they celebrate!
This is not something that I have heard of before. Will be interesting to learn a bit more about it.