Let's talk Wii U -- Are you getting it? Releases Nov 18

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
So I only found out about this yesterday when I walked into GameStop to do a quick check on the latest and greatest Mario or Zelda Wii game to get my son for Christmas. I must have been living under a rock. They are replacing the ENTIRE WII CONSOLE!! Where have I been? We just got ours a few years ago and now all the Wii games in Game Stop are in a lonely rack over in a distant corner of the store -- it is now "old technology". :-(

My son will undoubtedly hear all about this so I got up to speed as quickly as I could. I was NOT planning to buy a new game console this year, but apparently there are no Wii games coming out on the old system. Sigh. So now DH and I will have to re-ponder our gift list.

Here is what the helpful employee told me:
White -- 8 GB: $300
Black -- 32 GB $350 (and comes with a game)

They expect the old controllers will still work with the new system.
Only 1 of the "new" tablet-style controllers is expected to be in the box.
(Wonder what the tablet controller does that a regular one does not?)
Old games will still work on the new system. New games will not work on the old one.
Old system will run Gamecube games. New one won't (so keep your old one if you have Game Cube games -- which we do. But rats, can't e-bay it to off-set the cost.
The new system has better graphics which will allow Wii to run bigger games like XBox.
Our store started a waiting list and our name is now on it (with an option to pass).

So......anyone got Wii stuff on their list? What are you planning on?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm thinking I'd like the new one next year after most of the bugs are worked out of it.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Okay, I'm irritated. I was late on the Wii thing, so we just bought one last Christmas. Now it's out of date. That ticks me off!!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I thought the Wii U was the small system like a DS or that other one that plays movies and stuff, but I guess that is just the controller for the Wii U so I guess the difference in the controllers is major since the new one has its own screen on the controller. Weird.