Lighted Christmas Villages

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
I have a wonderful lighted Christmas village (no name brand, but pretty just the same) that I love to display during the holidays. I'm looking for new ways to decorate with with pieces and looking for ideas from you. I've put it under the tree and on a sideboard, but it really takes up a lot of space so some years I don't use all of the houses. Where do you set up your village?

goodpace

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Elizabeth City, NC
I used to put mine on a bay window ledge in my livingroom but I moved over the summer and now I need a new idea too. I have a long table that used to be in the entry in there now so I may use that if all the pieces will fit.
:help:

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I place my in a glass curio cabinet. It's not very wide but has 3 glass shelves. I got the idea from a Christmas decorating program only the lady had a nice large china cabinet.

Another idea, maybe you can set up several differnt villages throughout your home. Use some as a centerpiece on your dining table or coffee table would look nice too. If you have extra counter space in the kitchen, set up a few pieces. I did this using my gingerbread village.

If you have a tv armoire or bookcase they would look nice on top. Or if you have floating shelves on your walls. On your mantle if you have a fireplace. At work, put one on your desk (if you have the space).

This is a crazy thought I just had. If there was a way of keeping them from falling or sliding about they would look nice in the back window of a car. :rotflol:

thegirls

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
We put the bulk of ours on the fireplace mantel....and then we put others here and there....I try to mix it up each year a bit.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
My favorite place to put mine is on top of the kitchen cabinets. I put it up there when my boys were little and curious. They could see it but not touch it. I've also put it under the tree and on various tables around the living room. I have small dollar store pieces that I put on shelves above three of my kitchen windows. Sometimes I put the little ones on the window sill...If they are down low I put the lights in them, but if they are on the shelves, I don't use the lights.

I can't wait to put my village up. I may have to do that before Thanksgiving...after the holidays I"m going to completely redo the tops of my cabinets, so I'm collecting stuff to go up there. The last time I had the village up there, I left it for a year and a half. I loved it...I put in spring flowers in April, American flags in July and fall leaves in October. I won't leave it that long this time, though!

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
This will be our first Christmas in our this house and I will be putting our village on top of the kitchen cabinets, maybe with a few on the peninsula, we'll see. I think it will be nice to have it where we can see it and yet up out of the way, it does take up a lot of room. In years past I have had it under the tree of course, on our window ledges, (very deep ledges), on the mantle, on a desk top next to the tree, I think that is it. My kids favorite spot was when it was under the tree they could play with it then. Now they as older teens it really doesn't matter so much to them where I put it. They love to see it out it brings back so many memories for them. ~ Farmerswife

lovey195

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Island in the Sun
I actually used to set mine up on my dining room table (hubby and I eat dinner on the couch in front of the tv) but this year I plan to do a bit of redecorating and I may have to use an end table. However, I forsee many problems as our 2 year old niece is over here practically every day and I know that she and I will fight because she's "not allowed to play with Auntie's Village!". :rotflol: Although, she is quite smart (too smart) for her age, and I am sure that I can make her understand that while she can play with the little people, she cannot move any of the buildings. We'll see how that goes!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
In my house last year I put them on top of my kitchen cabinets. I put garland all around them and white lights. It really looked great. I plan on doing it again this year in my new kitchen.

:snowman: Melanie

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
My village goes under the tree. I have a rather large village. I have it divided into three sections. I have a business area, residential area, country store area and a farm. I have lots of trees, people, and sleighs. My business area has a church, coffee shop :haha: ,school, train depot, bakery, and a candle shop. There are some others but that is all I can remember right now.
The residential houses I have had since I was a little girl. I have street signs, train crossing sign, wood piles and others, I also have a train that goes around the village. It is non electric. In the country section I have a tree selling figurine, stores and some deer and bears.
I have a gingerbread village that I put in the kitchen. The last village I have I put on the shelves of my entertainment center.
It is a woodland theme with trees, sleighs, small Old world Santas and woodland animals. I also have a small train that I got from Hallmark a few years ago. Ever since I was a little girl the village went under the tree.
I am anxious to get my village out :tree:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
On top of my kitchen cabinets.

snowangel00

Santa's Elves
Oct 9, 2007
Winter Wonderland
I used to always set my village up on a table in the living room. However, it took up too much space when my home filled up during the holidays. I now place my village on top of my kitchen cabinets. We have above the cabinet lighting and after adding my village, snow, and the lights for the houses - it looks fantastic.

I get many compliments on it each year. I enjoy it so much - but it's quite the process to put up. There have been times it has taken me over a day to get everything situated as I like. I have quite a few pieces (I try to collect new pieces each year).

It's one of my favorite decorations in my home. :frosty: