Looking after our weight

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
What I am learning as time goes on is that there is no one thing that works. This weight thing is hard work and something that I have to be constantly aware of.
But I have also learned that if I had a bad day yesterday, forget it and just get moving again.

Lisa glad that you are maintaining the 15lbs. I guess that if you keep going eventually your body will do the right thing and start moving again.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Luke has been working with dietitians and a nutritionist from Swimming Australia. One thing I have learnt from watching them work is that they pretty much deem numbers to be pretty irrelevant when it comes to weight. Many swimmers have a BMI that actually puts them in the obese range! Sounds weird! Apparently at the last Olympics Michael Phelps put on more muscle that he usually carries. His BMI at that time was 25.2 which actually put him into the overweight category! Try telling Michael Phelps he is FAT!

They rely heavily on body measurements- as exercise builds muscle which weighs more than fat. So effectively you can lower your fat, lower your measurements but actually increase your weight.

Not so much with Luke as he is still to have his final growth spurt and we can expect the scales to go up and down a lot over the next few years. But especially when they work with the older girls on the team- scales are not used. Tape measures are the tool of choice.

Take your measurements- hide them away then review them every 3 weeks or so to see if they have changed!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
That is a great idea Tanya, we all need to realise that it is not always the numbers on the scales that matter.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Well....I stepped on the scale this morning and I am down 6 more pounds. So 21 pounds off total. This is the lowest I've been in at least 18 years. Of course, I'd like to get down more....and will keep working on that. I need to take my measurements today too.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Well....I stepped on the scale this morning and I am down 6 more pounds. So 21 pounds off total. This is the lowest I've been in at least 18 years. Of course, I'd like to get down more....and will keep working on that. I need to take my measurements today too.

You are going great!!! Good job!

Reactions: teachermomof2

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lisa....that is fabulous, well done.
Are you doing anything in particular or is it a combination of things?
If there are any hints that you would like to share, please do.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Katrina...I am a carboholic, so I am watching my carb intake, eating more fruit and veggies, no food after dinner, and for me, exercise is the key. I have been walking with Leslie Sansone 5 days a week, 2 miles a day. I'm also attempting to get 10000 steps a day. Sometimes I go over, and other days, I don't get there. I've also increased water intake.

Reactions: Christmaslvr

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lisa, WOW. It sounds like you are doing everything right and it is showing in the results. I too love carbs, bread and I are best buddies. I can take or leave potatoes and rice but I love pasta.
10000 steps seem such a lot to me, I don't think I have ever reached 10000 even after a big walk. I need to work on that.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Katrina...I love, love, love bread. I do have pasta and potatoes with dinner some nights. It's portion control and cooking process, too. Baked fries are better than deep fried.

Do you have a fit bit? It really keeps me on track.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lisa, yes I have a fitbit, I wear it daily. I actually walk more at home than I do at work. My office is tiny, maybe 10-15 steps from my desk to the end of the office. I would be lucky if I do 1000 steps in a day.
When I go for a walk it can do 5000-6000 steps and at DrillDance I can do say 4000. What I need to do is get moving more and maybe go for a quick walk every day.
The fact that you did 15000 steps on the day you set up for the party is amazing.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Beginning of the new week here. I have been for a walk and have been to the shops to get ingredients for my lunches for the next 2 days.
I have dinners planned on my meal plan and for the most part we are sticking with that.
This coming Thursday is grocery day so if I continue with my meal planning and buy what is on my list I should be eating ok.
Need to keep up with the water level, have been a little slack on the drinking lately.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Katrina...I am a carboholic, so I am watching my carb intake, eating more fruit and veggies, no food after dinner, and for me, exercise is the key. I have been walking with Leslie Sansone 5 days a week, 2 miles a day. I'm also attempting to get 10000 steps a day. Sometimes I go over, and other days, I don't get there. I've also increased water intake.

I need to get back on track! I was down 14lbs but put 5 back on over the past 2 months. I am not a potato/rice/pasta eater but I need to really ramp up my veggie and protein intake. I love Leslie's workouts, need to make time for those as well. I've gotten back into drinking soda...a lot...so I'm imposing a no soda challenge for myself from now until football season starts in September. Then it will only be on Sundays that I indulge.

Hope I can stick to it as well as you are!!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I need to get back on track! I was down 14lbs but put 5 back on over the past 2 months. I am not a potato/rice/pasta eater but I need to really ramp up my veggie and protein intake. I love Leslie's workouts, need to make time for those as well. I've gotten back into drinking soda...a lot...so I'm imposing a no soda challenge for myself from now until football season starts in September. Then it will only be on Sundays that I indulge.

Hope I can stick to it as well as you are!!
Nancy~ Sounds like a great plan! I have cut back on my iced tea intake and soda as well. I order water instead of a Coke when I go out to eat. It's tough, but I need to break that habit. You can do this!

Lisa

Reactions: Christmaslvr

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I drink a bit of water but sometimes I just want something sweet so will grab a juice or a softdrink.
Before the upcoming summer I will look into flavoured waters that I can make into my large water jugs and have on hand in the fridge. We tend to drink way too much soft drink in the summer.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I've been puttinglemon and strawberry slices in my water....makes a huge difference for me.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lisa, never thought of strawberries, they would be delicious. These are the tings that I need to remember.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Nancy~ Sounds like a great plan! I have cut back on my iced tea intake and soda as well. I order water instead of a Coke when I go out to eat. It's tough, but I need to break that habit. You can do this!

Lisa

Thanks Lisa! So far so good! First week down with no soda and now I am also doing a 21 day no junk food challenge. I've done it before, I hope I can do it again. This will be sort of a detox for me, just to get my mind off of thinking that the junk is the first thing I should reach for when I'm hungry. Believe me I don't do this believing I will never have another cookie or ice cream again in my life ever, I just need to reel it in a bit. So that challenge started yesterday. I get my 8 glasses of water in each day, sometimes more, and most times we order unsweetened iced tea when we eat out, but there are those certain meals that "need" a soda to go along with it! LOL I'm also determined to pickup my weights at night and focus on a different body part each night. I've been reading that now, at my age, it's more important to do strength training with a little cardio. I just can't do the intense cardio I use to do in my 30's and 40's. The struggle is real my friend! :)

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Update: Today is day 20 with no soda, and day 15 of my self induced No Junk Food Challenge! I've been walking more, using my weights 3-4 nights a week and have started exercising again in the morning before work.

Make small changes, take one day at a time. A small something is better than doing nothing...

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
You guys all sound like your on a mission. I've had intentions, but just not there yet. I will though..I will.