Looking for Advent Book Suggestions

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Laney

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Hey everyone! I'm looking for some suggestions for books or ways to celebrate Advent. I'm planning the 24 Days of Christmas activities, but I want something simple that will daily remind us the real reason of the season.

In my head, I've got something in my head that I would like. It is just me, DH and DD, who will only be 16 months in December. I'd like something that for the next 3-4 years DH and I can read together and do a quick recap for my DD at bed time or something. However, I'd like that by the time she is maybe 5 or 6ish, that she'd be able to do the readings with us as a family and still comprehend at that level. But I still want it to be something that DH and I are still going to get something out of, KWIM? Or if it is possible, something that has a focus for people of different age levels for each day. I'm not sure if I am making any sense of what I'm looking for!

Basically, I want something that can grow with my family and be timeless enough that it becomes a tradition to use it daily for many, many years. Whether the ones that are using it are 16mo, 9 years, 20 years or 50 years old!

Like I said, I am already doing the planning our 24 days activities and some of them are bigger activities, such as going to festivals. For that reason, I want something that is not long or involved, just enough to bring our focus back to the true reason each day.

Okay - so hopefully someone has an idea out there for me and my million word essay of what I want. TIA!!!

~Laney :)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I don't know any but go to Christianbook.com... you should find something there!

I don't know if this is what you mean but...

How about an Advent Journal
To help yourself keep your mind focused on the true meaning of Christmas, have a special journal that is kept only during the month of December.

On December 1 write down your thoughts related to the Christmas season. Entries could be brief or longer depending what is going on that day. Entries can include::

Something you and your loved ones are thankful for
A thought on a scripture you read that day
A Christmas memory from the past
A reflection on what the Christmas season means to you

You could write down each persons thoughts and read them yearly...you will be suprised how much things change as your daughter grows.

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
Not sure if this applies, but I do memory books for my children. I feel they capture what christmas means to us - spending time together not materialism. I usually do 2 pages
1 - letters to santa and santas reply in an envelope and their christmas card from us which I cross stitch
2 - photos of christmas time, what we did on christmas day, who we spent christmas with, a list some of their presents, and memories of christmas eg, where we saw santa, making reindeer cookies, carol singing on the green, touring the neighbourhood looking for lights, ice skating outdoors, my kids contributions to christmas nativity plays. I also include what song was the UK number 1 chart record and which Christmas film is on at the cinema

Maybe you could adapt the themes so that they are pertinent to your family and capture the true meaning of christmas for you. You will ended up with a book full of memories

Laney

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Thanks guys for all of the input! I was out of town for a few days and just got to this! I like the ideas of the advent journal and such.

I do think that I would like some form of book for us to read from daily, though - so that link is great. I've never seen that christianbooks.com. Neat. There are quite a few that look like they could fit what I want - whether it is something aimed at kids or spanning ages.

Thanks always!
~Laney :)