Magic Elf 'Exit Strategies'?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Okay, I know that the elves are supposed to go home on Christmas Eve with Santa, with the promise of coming back again. And the anticipation of seeing their old friends again is part of the excitement for the children. I constantly tried to prepare my DD8 for the fact that Snowflake the reindeer would be leaving on Christmas Eve. It was in the introductory letter, and both Snowflake and I made sure to mention it often and how much fun it would be to see each other again next December. But when it came right down to it, the goodbyes were so painful that I just couldn't do it. DD sobbed, trying to hold it in. She was so heartbroken, torn between wanting to keep Snowflake here and knowing how much Snowflake would miss her friends and family at the N. Pole. DD is tenderhearted and sentimental and carried Snowflake everywhere with her, even though she's savvy enough to know that it's just a game and I'm behind it all.

Santa even brought her a webkins reindeer as a replacement friend.
I'm considering buying a new friend every year and just letting her keep them. Snowflake was all of $3.98. She could have 5 or 6 years of friends for the price of one elf. I know the welcoming an old friend piece will be missing.
I'm very, very glad that we learned about Magic Elves. My entire family had lots of fun with this. But are there any tips for making the exit easier?? For those of you who have done it two or more years, is the joy of seeing their 'old friends' return the next year a huge part of it?

My boys were sad but (luckily) truly understood and was over it by the time they woke up Christmas morning and saw the presents left behind by Santa and their elves!! We packed the elves up with their sleeping bags in the red sled and off they went (in my closet til I find a nice container to put them in) Rishi will be making a surprise visit for DS8's 9th birthday Jan. 14th since my twins' birthday was while the elves were here I thought it would be nice for Rishi to be here for my other son's big day!!! They will also be visiting during their baseball tournaments to help keep their spirits up complete with baseball tactics and gifts!!!

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
DH got into this as well! He came home from Christmas shopping with two tiny elves for the magic elves to leave so DS's won't miss them so much-they loved it as they were going to miss the elves! I think next year I am going to wait until ywo weeks before Christmas for the elves to come back as it was a bit long to put out the crackers and water, etc. They lost interest in that part of it but did continue to sleep with them!

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
Holiday Joy, saying goodbye to the elves was too painful here too, although, like you, we had emphasized they had to return to the North Pole and would come back next year. I just couldn't take any drama on Christmas Eve so Santa granted them some vacation days until the end of the year. I think that was the right choice for us because my DD is now a bit more reconciled to the idea, as she has her new things to play with and the focus is shifting away from Christmas to a New Year.

They'll be heading back tonight now that their "use or lose" vacation days have been burned up. DD4 won't care but DD7 may be a bit sad in the morning but all should be well now.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Well, DD came to me last night with Snowflake in her arms and tears in her eyes, telling me that she thinks she's ready to send her back to the North Pole. She said she's just not playing with her as much and is concerned that Snowflake will be lonely and miss her NP friends and family. She's excited that Snowflake may come back and visit from time to time.

It just took her an extra long time to say her goodbyes! She's so funny -- she's at an age where she's walking that line between believing and knowing it's pretend. For my part, I don't admit to anything (though I would if she truly wanted to know, which she doesn't!). I'm careful not to say anything untrue, but talk with her about the delight our imaginations can bring us.