Main Dish Recipes

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

snowangel00

Santa's Elves
Oct 9, 2007
Winter Wonderland
Re: Salad Recipes

Layered Cranberry Mousse Mold

1 1/2 cups boiling water
6 ounces cranberry jello mix
16 ounces whole berry cranberry sauce
1 cup cold water
8 ounces cool whip, thawed

In a large bowl, stir boiling water into gelatin until completely dissolved, about 2 minutes. Stir in cranberry sauce until melted. Stir in cold water. Pour 2 cups of the gelatin mixture into a 6-cup mold. Refrigerate about 45 minutes or until set but not firm (should stick to finger and should mound). Meanwhile, refrigerate remaining gelatin mixture about 30 minutes or until slightly thickened (consistency of unbeaten egg whites).

Stir in 2 cups whipped topping with wire whisk until smooth. Pour over gelatin in mold. Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm. Dip mold in warm water for about 15 seconds. Gently pull gelatin from around edges with moist fingers. Place moistened serving plate on top of mold. Invert mold and plate; holding mold and plate together, shake slightly to loosen. Gently remove mold and center gelatin on plate. Garnish with the remaining whipped topping.

Yield: 12 servings

RazzleDazzleRecipes

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Re: Side Dish Recipes

My husband loves jello! His mom made a green jello mold with cottage cheese that I do not care for, I make one that he doens't complain too much about the missing green jello! This works well for my son who is diabetic too!

Cranberry Mousse Mold

2 cups boiling water
1 pkg. (8-serving size) Cranberry Sugar Free Gelatin
1 can jellied cranberry sauce, broken up with fork
1 cup cold water
1 tub COOL WHIP FREE Whipped Topping, thawed, divided

STIR boiling water into dry gelatin mix in large bowl with wire whisk 2 min. until completely dissolved. Add cranberry sauce; stir until well blended. Stir in cold water. Pour 1-1/2 cups of the gelatin mixture into 6-cup mold sprayed with cooking spray. Refrigerate 45 min. or until set but not firm. (Gelatin should stick to finger.)
MEANWHILE, refrigerate remaining gelatin mixture 45 min. or until thickened (spoon drawn through leaves definite impression). Stir in 2 cups of the whipped topping until well blended. Pour over gelatin in mold.

REFRIGERATE 4 hours or until firm. Unmold. Top with remaining whipped topping. Store leftovers in refrigerator.

How to Unmold Gelatin :sleigh:
Dip mold in warm water for 15 sec. Gently pull gelatin from around edge with moist fingers. Place moistened serving plate on top of mold. Invert mold and plate; holding mold and plate together, shake slightly to loosen.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Re: Salad Recipes

Winter Fruit Salad with Balsamic Dressing

Ingredients
1/3 cup salad oil
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
4 teaspoons honey
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
3 medium pears
3 medium blood oranges
1-1/2 cups red and green seedless grapes
3 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
1/2 head red-tip and green leaf lettuce each, torn

Directions
1. For dressing, combine oil, orange juice, vinegar, honey, and pepper in a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover and blend or process until combined. Place in an airtight jar and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

2. Use a small sharp knife to peel oranges, removing as much of the white pith as possible. Section fruit and place in a large bowl. Add sliced pears, the grapes and pomegranate seeds.

3. To serve, toss with dressing. Line a large bowl with torn lettuce and top with fruit mixture. Makes 12 servings.

Electra

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
Grilled Salmon with Pear Salsa,

Serve with green salad of little gem, rocket and watercress leaves dressed with lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Serves 4.

Ingredients,
2 tbs lime juice
1/2 tsp rosemary, finely chopped
2 ripe pears
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 x 150g organic salmon fillets
lime wedges or rosemary sprigs, to garnish.

Directions
Heat an oven-top grill pan over a medium high heat. Place the lime juice and rosemary in a small bowl, Peel, quater and finely dicethe pears. Mix into the lime juice and season. Once the pan is hot, Season and lightly oil the salmon, cook, flesh side down, for 8 minutes, turning around once (still flesh side down ) to get diamond griddle marks. Turn over and cook, skin down, for further 5 minutes. Once just cooked through, plate the fish and spoon the pear salse over the top. Garnish with lime wedges or rosemary sprigs.

Enjoy.

Electra

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
Mexican Tapas,

Ingredients,
1 jar Discovery soulful creole sauce
125g pack brushettine (canape toasts)
70g chorizo slices
100g goat's cheese, thinly sliced
170g houmous
To Garnish:
Black olives, Caperberries, cherry tomatoes and fresh herbs.

Make these Different topping:
1. Spread Creole Sauce on brushettine, top with chorizo folded into a cone and finish with a black olive or caperberry.
2. Spread Creole Sauce on brushettine, top with goat's cheese, cherry tomatoes, herbs.
3. Spread bruschettine with houmous and top with a small spoonful of Creole sauce and fresh herbs.

Enjoy.

Electra

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
Classic Roast British Turky with all the Trimmings.

Serves 12
Stuffing,
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 red onion, chopped
50g dried cranberries
zest and juice of 1 lemon
175g fresh white breadcrumbs
200g ready cooked and peeled chestnuts, chopped
4 tbsp each chopped fresh sage and fresh parsley
225g sausagemeat
salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Turkey and Trimmings:
1 x 5.4kg oven ready british turkey, giblets removed
12 rashes of smoked streaky bacon
6 chipolata sausages, twisted in half to make 12
12 pitted no soak prunes
50g butter
2 tbsp plain flour
900ml turkey stock

To Serve

Make stuffing: heat oil in pan and fry onion for 4 minutes. Add cranberries, lemon zest and juice remove from heat.
in a large bowl, mix remaining stuffing ingredients with onion, and season.
Prepare trimmings: stretch bacon rashers with back of a knife and cut in half. Wrap a piece of bacon around each of the sausages and prunes. Place seam-side down in a roasting tray, cober and chill untill required.
Preheat oven to 190 degrees gas mark 5. Spoon stuffing into neck cavaty of turkey, then tuck skin flap underneth secure with cocktail sticks. Roll any remaining stuffing into balls and roast with the bacon rolls.
Truss and weigh turkey: Tie string around leg joints, then around parsons nose, under the bird and up over the wings. Tie tightly to secure shape.
Weigh the turkey, then calculate cooking time: allow 20 minutes per kg + 90 minutes (see how do i cook a whole turkey in diagram below) place in a large roasting tin. Spread all over with butter and season.
Loosly cover with foil.
Roast Turkey for calculated time, basting occasionaly with pan juices.
Remove foil for final 40 minutes,to crisp skin roast bacon rolls and stuffing balls above the turkey for 20 minutes.
check turkey is cooked: pierce thigh with a skewer - the juices should run clear. Transfer turkey to serving plate, cover with foil and rest in a warm place for 15-20 minutes - this makes carving easier.
Make gravy: spoon off excess fat from juices in the roasting tin. place tin on a low heat add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in stock and bring to the boil. simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally strain into a warm gravy boat.

How do i cook a turkey???

As a guide, if the bird is under 4kg, allow 20 minutes per kg + 7- minutes.
If it is over 4kg, allow 20 minutes per kg + 90 minutes at the end.
Weigh the turkey after stuffing it to calculated cooking time. coook in a conventional oven at 190 degrees, gas 5. Cover loosely with foil but remove foil for last 40 minutes, for browning. fan-assisted ovens cook at a higher temprature - consult the manufacturer's handbook.
Allow the turkey to stand for at least 15-20 minutes before carving.

Here is a Greph on cooking times for Turkey and different sizes and how many it serves check it out.
http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/ ... =graph.jpg

mammaduke

Retire Member
Jan 19, 2008
Rochester,NY
Re: Main Dish - Side Dish - Salad Recipes

Quick Chicken & Rice Dinner

1 stick butter or margine
4 chicken breasts
French onion soup package
1 cup rice
1 cup water
Heat oven to 450, put butter in baking dish & melt in oven. Add rice, then chicken on top of rice, sprinkle in soup mix, then add water, cover with foil cook 1 hour. Make a vegetable & there you go. Chicken & rice in one dish.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

Alfredo Sauce--Quick

It’s easy and versatile. Add any meat and veggies that you have leftover in your refrig.

16 oz sour cream
Juice of half a lemon
½ to ¾ cup Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic pressed (or garlic powder to taste)
Salt and Pepper to taste

May thin with milk or cream (I never have done this)

Stir everything together while you boil your noodles. Drain noodles and toss with the Alfredo mixture.

Hints:

You can heat the sauce in the microwave for a minute before adding the noodles.

I’ve added leftover cooked chicken, seafood or Italian Sausage. Also add a bag of those streamed veggies to get in your veggies for the meal. Artichokes are really good in this too.

A lady named Kay shared this recipe with me from one of my Flylady sites. I thank you Kay and if you ever visit this board, please get in touch with me.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

Dee’s Potato/Pasta Salad—Florida Style with Diedra’s additions

I worked with Dee in Minot, ND. We were both military wives living at Minot Air Force based. We’d ride together to Trinity Hospital when we both worked second shift. Her father was a Chef in Florida. She gave me this excellent potato salad recipe.

Cubed cold potatoes or use cooked cold pasta
4 hard boiled eggs—2 diced and 2 sliced for the top
2 ribs of celery, chopped
½ an onion, chopped (size depends if you like onion or not—med or large)
¼ cup sweet pickle relish
Sliced green olives—a must
Salad dressing mixed with 1 Tablespoon vinegar or ¼ cup sweet prickle relish juice
Crisp bacon, crumbled for the top and to mix in (optional)
Salt and pepper

I mix the salad dressing (Mayo) with the pickles, vinegar/pickle juice, salt, pepper and I like to use some Celery seed. (No they really aren’t seeds from the Celery plant. They are the fruit from something called Apium graveolens which is related to the celery plant. Excellent in this salad, seafood salad and on pizza. Bad for getting under a plate and I don’t mean a dinner plate.)

I add a package of frozen peas. Yes, frozen with no sauce and DO NOT COOK, just dump in a bag. I also like to add some chopped radishes if I have them. Black olives are good.

I’d say half a bag of potatoes to these amounts. You can always add more mayo if needed.

You can put in red, yellow and green peppers if you like them. You won’t find the eggs in my salad. I hate hard boiled eggs. I will eat them sliced thinly on toast smothered with Scandinavian anchovies. At least I did before I had to eat gluten-free.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Chinese Meatballs

I use this with either homemade or frozen meatballs....normally I'm not crazy about frozen but with this recipe they are very good.

1 and 1/2 cups sugar, 1 TBSP vinegar, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 2 cups water, and 1 TBSP garlic salt (use salt not powder)

Boil for about 15 minutes then pour over meatballs in a crockpot. Let cook 5-8 hours. I've used various times but it is essential they are in the crock pot long enough to really absorb the flavoring...usually the longer...the more flavorful they are.

Serve over rice with a salad or vegetable side dish....VERY yummy!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Pineapple Dump Chicken

This is good either made immediately or put all ingredients in a large freezer bag and freeze until ready to use...then just "dump" into a baking dish (after thawing). It can also be made in a crockpot but again thaw before "dumping". (Crockpot 6-8 hours on low)

1/2 pound chicken pieces (breasts or thighs)
1/2 cup onion chopped
1/4 cup butter melted
1/2 cup ketchup
1 cup pineapple preserves
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 cup pineapple tidbits

Preheat oven to 350 degrees put all ingredients into a large baking dish. Turn chicken to coat and baked until chicken juices run clear (45-50 minutes for chicken pieces and 30 minutes for breasts)

Great with rice.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Stuffing Meatloaf

Super simple and quick! Great weeknight meal for the holidays!

Stuffing Meatloaf

http://dancingthroughtheminefield.blogspot.com/2012/03/secret-ingredient-meatloaf.html

FYI - If I have it I use milk instead of the water called for in the recipe. Just seems to taste better!

Top with your favorite BBQ - or a mix of ketchup and grape jelly - or ketchup + Asian plum sauce - DH loves to top THAT with French Fried Onions which is just crazy decadent but hey - it's the holidays, right?

Stella Bahl

Retire Member
Sep 23, 2016
UK
Easy Meat Free Lasagna with Veggies and Tofu Recipe

Aunt Connie's recipe is easy meat free lasagna with veggies and tofu – a veggie or if you prefer, vegan twist to a staple dish of the Italian cuisine.

Ingredients for 4 people:

• 250g lasagna sheets
  • 2 medium courgettes
  • 300g Champignon mushrooms
  • 1 medium aubergine
  • 1 medium red pepper
  • Salt and Pink Himalayan pepper to taste
  • 2og ground mix of herbs of your choice (sage, marjoram, chives)
  • 250g Tofu or Quorn style chicken pieces
  • 10g of grated lemon zest
  • 30 ml olive oil
  • 1/2 shallot
  • 100 ml double/vegan (soya) cream
Method ( http://blog.vorrei.co.uk/aunt-connies-corner-lasagne-with-veggies-and-tofu ) :

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Here is a recipe I came up with last holiday season - will definitely make it again. It looks massive. But broken down - making meat ahead - making potatoes ahead it is really very easy to pull together.

Technically this is a COTTAGE pie as it uses beef and not lamb. But here in the US we tend to call any meat pie topped with mashed potatoes a Shepherd's Pie so I left that in the name too :)

Jaime’s Shepherd’s (Cottage) Pie

For the Meat:

1 2lb beef chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp celery seed
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 bay leaf
1/4 C soy sauce

Combine thyme, sugar, celery seed, garlic, and bay leaf and sprinkle over roast in slow-cooker. Pour soy sauce over roast.

Cook for 4-5 hours on high, or 7-8 hours on low setting. Meat is done when tender and shreds easily.

Remove meat from slow-cooker and shred. Do this ahead and freeze or do day before and keep in fridge.

Beef Gravy:

3 T butter
4 cups beef broth
3 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
4 T cornstarch
⅓ cup water
S&P to taste

Melt butter in saucepan, add broth, onion and garlic powder - bring to boil, stir occasionally.

Reduce heat, bring to simmer.

Combine cornstarch with water in small bowl, stir until it dissolves.

While whisking broth constantly, slowly add cornstarch mix to pan. Pour in 1 T at a time. May not need all of it. Add until desired consistency is reached.

Add S&P to taste. Simmer 2-3 minutes.

Other Pie Ingredients:

The vegetables you choose are really up to you - these are what we use…

Whole Kernel Canned Corn (or Frozen) - 1 can or so

Carrots, canned, frozen or fresh (If fresh I recommend par boiling a bit so they’ll be completely done)

Celery - 2 to 3 ribs or more to taste, finely diced

Onion- 1 med or large onion to taste, finely diced

Mushrooms? Parsnips? Whatever you like! Just add enough to balance out the meat in the mixture.

Mashed Potato Topping:

5 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes (Russet will work but yellow flesh are better)

3/4 cups Butter

1 package (8 Oz.) Cream Cheese, Softened

1/2 cup (to 3/4 Cups) Half-and-Half

1/2 teaspoon (to 1 Teaspoon) Lawry's Seasoned Salt

1/2 teaspoon (to 1 Teaspoon) Black Pepper

1-2 Cups Freshly Shredded Sharp Cheddar

Peel and cut the potatoes into pieces that are generally the same size. Bring a large pot of water to a simmer and add the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 to 35 minutes. When they’re cooked through, the fork should easily slide into the potatoes with no resistance, and the potatoes should almost, but not totally, fall apart.

Drain the potatoes in a large colander. When the potatoes have finished draining, place them back into the dry pot and put the pot on the stove. Mash the potatoes over low heat, allowing all the steam to escape, before adding in all the other ingredients.

Turn off the stove and add 1 ½ sticks of butter, an 8-ounce package of cream cheese and about ½ cup of half-and-half. Mash, mash, mash! Next, add about ½ teaspoon of Lawry’s Seasoning Salt and ½ a teaspoon of black pepper. Finally stir in shredded cheddar.

Can make day ahead, keep in fridge then reheat slightly in microwave until you can stir it up then place on top of assembled pie.

Pie Assembly:

Saute diced onion and celery in butter or oil until softened. Mix shredded meat and veggies of choice with the hot beef gravy. Spread in large casserole or 9x11 pan. Top with mashed potatoes. (Optional - dot top with pats of butter) Bake at 350 until heated through and topping is just starting to brown. If center is still cold and topping is browning, cover with foil until insides are all nice and bubbly!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Thanks for the recipes

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
CHICKEN PIE WITH CORN BREAD TOPPING
Adapted From: Great American Home Baking Cards

CHICKEN FILLING:

2-3 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded or chopped
2 cup chicken broth
3-5 medium carrots, sliced

1 can whole kernel corn
2 sticks butter
1 onion, diced fine
2 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp black pepper
8 oz mushrooms, sliced (2 cups) or 4 cans, drained
8 Tbsp all purpose flour
2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or 2 T dried

TOPPING:
2 boxes Jiffy mix

Eggs and milk called for in recipe (Sub with buttermilk if you have it!)

Add 1 T honey for each box of mix

TO PREPARE FILLING:
Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add carrots; cook until tender, 5 minutes or so. Drain well.

In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes.

Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes.

Stir in flour; cook for 1 minute. (Will be thick and pasty)

Gradually stir in reserved broth and cream, each a little bit at a time, alternating. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly until thickened, 1-3 minutes. Remove from heat.

Stir in chicken, carrots, and parsley. Spoon filling into a 9x11 baking dish.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

TO PREPARE TOPPING:
Mix Jiffy mix according to box directions just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon batter over chicken mixture.

Bake pie until topping is golden brown, 30 minutes.

Filling can be made ahead and kept in fridge overnight - add topping just before baking. Cover with foil if cornbread is getting too brown before filling is heated through. Filling can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in fridge, add topping and bake until cornbread is browned and filling heated through.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
This is one of my favorites!!! Simple but indulgent!!!!

Gooseberry Patch Chicken Stuffed Shells

30-36 Jumbo Shells

6 oz pkg. stuffing mix (chicken, herb, etc.)

2 c. cooked chicken, diced or shredded

1 c. mayo

(2) 10 ¾ oz cans cream of mushroom soup

Grated Parmesan to taste

Cook shells per pkg directions. Prepare stuffing mix per pkg directions. Stir in the chicken and mayo. In a separate bowl, mix soup with one can of water. Pour half on the bottom of a lightly greased 9x13 baking pan. Stuff shells with stuffing mixture; place shells open side up in pan. Pour remaining soup mixture over top. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes. Serves 8-10.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Shells

These are really, really good. Prep the stuffed shells a day ahead. Make the sauce right before assembling and baking.

20-25 jumbo shells

2 cups shredded cooked chicken

2 cups ricotta cheese

4 ounces cream cheese, softened

2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

8 ounces mushrooms (omit if desired)

1 egg, slightly beaten

2 and 1/2 cups alfredo sauce (see below)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook shells according to package directions. In a small non-stick skillet, cook mushrooms until browned, about 8-10 minutes.

In a large bowl combine shredded cooked chicken, 2 cups ricotta cheese, 4 ounces softened cream cheese, mushrooms and 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Season with Italian seasoning. Add in 1 egg, slightly beaten.

Pour half of the alfredo sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish. Fill the shells with the filling, then arrange the shells on top of the sauce. Top with remaining sauce.

Cover and bake for 35-40 minutes, then top with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese and bake uncovered for 8-10 minutes longer, until the cheese has melted. You’ll have enough filling for about 20-25 jumbo stuffed shells.

Creamy Alfredo Sauce for Chicken Stuffed Shells

• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter

• 1 cup heavy whipping cream

• 3/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese

• 2 cloves garlic, finely grated

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

• 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
  1. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.

2. Increase the heat a bit to medium high and add 1 cup heavy whipping cream. Bring the sauce to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for about 10 minutes.

3. As it simmers, the sauce will start to thicken. Stir in salt and black pepper to taste, parsley, and grated garlic.

4. Reduce the heat to low, then stir in the finely grated parmesan cheese and continue stirring until all of the parmesan cheese has melted.

5. Remove from the heat. Adjust salt and pepper as needed and serve immediately with the pasta of your choice.
NOTE: I prefer to double the above recipe if making the Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Shells. If needed, to get the sauce to thicken, ladle a small amount of hot liquid out of the pan and put in small bowl - add 1 T cornstarch - whisk in quickly so that cornstarch completely dissolves. Pour this back it the pan and stir it up real good. Continue waiting and watching for the thickening magic to happen. If after a few minutes your sauce is still super thin, repeat the cornstarch trick. Make sure pan is hot enough too, heat helps the thickening process as well.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Southern Living Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese

The recipe you know and love! No need to cook the noodles!!!

• 1 (8-ounce) package shredded Italian three-cheese blend

• 1 (8-ounce) package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

• 2 large eggs, lightly beaten

• 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk

• 1 1/2 cups milk

• 1 teaspoon salt

• 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard

• 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

• 8 ounces small shell pasta (about 2 1/4 cups), uncooked
  1. Combine cheeses in a bowl; set aside.

2. Whisk together eggs and next 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in pasta and 3 cups cheese mixture. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 3-quart slow cooker; sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese mixture.

3. Cover and cook on LOW 4 hours. Sprinkle servings evenly with remaining cheese mixture.

4. No Precook: The best part of this simple recipe is that you don't have to precook the pasta!
NOTE: Add chunks of ham to make this a one dish meal! Or make as is and serve with salad and crusty bread with lots of butter!