Make Ahead/Frozen Appetizers – Recipes & Strategies

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I know we have a Sticky thread for appetizer recipes - which is awesome - but I was wondering if we might have some fun talking about appetizers you can make ahead or even have in the freezer.

There are always those dip recipes meant to be served cold - or even cheeseballs - that can be made up a day or two before and be waiting in the fridge.

Sometimes warm dips can lend themselves to last minute heating in the microwave as opposed to the oven.

I have found several yummy appetizers on Pioneer Woman's website that can be made ahead, frozen then heated/re-heated.

Are there any other ways you've prepped munchy type things ahead? Or specific recipes you have to share?

Maybe we continue to add recipes to the main Appetizer thread and just link to it from here if we have make ahead or freezing instructions?

Totally brain storming here! What do you guys think?

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
If you do a veggie tray ahead of time - how far ahead do you cut your veggies? How do you store them cut? I heard that a wet paper towel covering them or in the bag/container with them will keep them fresher?

And here are some of the PW appetizers I've successfully made, frozen and then made for guests:

Stuffed Mushrooms
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/08/stuffed-mushrooms-baby/

Delicious Cheddar Puffs

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/12/cheese-puffs/

Holiday Bacon Appetizers
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/12/flashback_1981_-_holiday_bacon_appetizers/

Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Thingies
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/07/bacon-wrapped_j/

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
oh....those sound good...it's ok to post recipes here and then copy and paste them in the archives for eqasy reference later....whatever works best is ok...Sometimes its easier to find them over there but not always...LOL

This is a good thread because getting ready for a party can be stressful and sometimes unexpected guests stop by during the holiday season....so having some things prepared and on hand would be awesome!

:tree:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I freeze the cheeseballs now :)
I cook & freeze sausages wrapped in bacon - just need reheating.
Mini-meatballs can be frozen and just need reheating too

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Yes!!

I would love to do more of this and learn what works and what doesn't freeze well.

I done some cookies ahead and froze them. But that's about it. I would love to cut down on the cooking stress!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Those bacon cracker things on PW look so good! - wonder how they would do with a gf cracker... lol probrably not.

Another great bacon appetizer is bacon wrapped around a pitted date, bake in oven. Really as simple as that. My eldest sons fav

Another great one I served was a basil leaf wrapped around (sorta) a cherry tomato, fresh mozzarella ball on a mini skewer. Drizzled with balsamic dressing

I do a similiar bacon wrapped jalapeno, but I first I add a bit of fresh salsa to the cream cheese then fill the pepper. It is a big hit with the boys.

Everything is better with bacon :)

I make a tex mex type dip the day ahead that my husband really likes:
first layer: a can of refried beans with chilis
second ly: spread 3 ripe avocados with a tsp of lemon juice mashed
third layer: sour cream, lightly sprinkle on top taco seasoning mix
Fourth layer: shredded cheddar cheese, with chopped green onion sprinkled on top

Served with unsalted nacho chips.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Thanks for starting this thread. I have nothing to contribute at the moment lol. But I do have a question:

Lucie how do you freeze cheese balls?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I make my cheeseball (any recipe works), wrap it up in saranwrap & put it in a ziploc freezer bag. Voilà!

HouseElf, you are so right - everything is better with bacon!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Thanks Lucie that's simple..Just lay out to thaw right?

BTW I'm eating pizza with sausage & bacon on it right now LOL

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Another great bacon appetizer is bacon wrapped around a pitted date, bake in oven. Really as simple as that. My eldest sons fav
Oh, I like this one! Thanks.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Mmm...mmm....mmm! Some yummmmy ideas are starting to stack up!

That dip sounds soooo good, HouseElf! I've been craving avacado non-stop lately!

And speaking of bacon! here is another freezeable appetizer I found in my files:

Freezer Mini Bacon Pinwheels

Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 13 minutes
Total Time: 38 minutes

Ingredients:
• 1 lb. loaf firm white sandwich bread
• 2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
• 1 tsp. garlic powder
• 1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
• 1/8 tsp. pepper
• 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
• 1 lb. smoked bacon

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease cookie sheet and set aside.

Cut the crusts off bread slices, then cut each piece into three equal rectangles.

In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, garlic powder, parsley, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Spread an even, thin layer of the cream cheese mixture on each bread rectangle, and roll it up, starting with the short side.

Cut each slice of bacon in half crosswise, and wrap a half slice of bacon around each of the bread rolls. Secure the rolls with toothpicks and arrange on prepared baking sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees until the bacon is crisp, 8-11 minutes. Makes 25 appetizers.

To freeze ahead, prepare rolls, then freeze in single layer on cookie sheet without baking them. Store in freezer for up to 3 months. Store in single layer in freezer containers, separating layers with waxed paper.

Bake at 375 degrees for 11-16 minutes until hot and browned.