Making a Year's Worth of Menus

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Yes, you read that correctly. I think I figured out a simple way to make a year's worth of menus. I'm going to look at our Menu postings over the years in this forum. It goes back to 2008 so I have plenty of items to pick. I think if I give myself time every week I could get this task accomplished.

I do have a blank calendar I can use. One goal I have is to try to incorporate more veggie into my planning. And I can always change my mind if I have something else I want to try.

Another way to do this is to start writing down our menus we fix on a calendar. In a year presto a year's worth of ideas.

What do you think of the idea?

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I do have a blank calendar I can use. One goal I have is to try to incorporate more veggie into my planning. And I can always change my mind if I have something else I want to try.

Another way to do this is to start writing down our menus we fix on a calendar. In a year presto a year's worth of ideas.

What do you think of the idea?

Go for it! I think you'll like it. I do exactly what you are doing as far as going back to the calendar for ideas. I tend to base my meals on what is in season when possible as well as after school schedules.

I have used a Dollar Tree Monthly Planner and I've printed off monthly calendar pages in the past for my menu planning. My monthly printable sheets got lost in the shuffle of school papers. :rolleyes: I like the Dollar Tree planner because I can keep it all in one location.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
That's ambitious! Go for it!

I keep my monthly menus on the fridge, putting the new month on top. I guess I could just keep them and reuse them the next year. I tend to mix things up, try new things, etc., so I don't know if that would work. I do consult my blog time to time to see what we were eating seasonally from time to time. Lots of good ideas.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Very ambitious but sounds like a great idea especially when there are those tried and true recipes that you have often. I've seen a calendar with squares big enough for the large Post-It notes - all the dishes are written on the Post-It notes and then they can be moved around easily without having to erase and rewrite. You could also do some themed days - Italian, Mexican, Chinese, Thai - with an assortment of recipes that you can refer to. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I use a calendar from the $2 shop that has very big date squares. I do about a month at a time but will add things further ahead if I think of them. The squares give me enough room to add exactly what we are eating eg.
Meatloaf
Mashed Potato, green beans and carrots.
Gravy.
Tinned peaches and cream,
Water.

Because I write all things that we will be needing for dinner I can write my grocery list from the menu.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I like reading all the different ideas. We need to eat more vegetables, too. I'm not good about trying new recipes. Suppose I just default to what we always eat. I'm definitely getting bored with our menus, so need to work on venturing away from the norm.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
missjane,
I try things that my family like but in a different way.
For example my family like taco mince and tortillas and sour cream and guacamole. I make a lasagna using tortillas instead of noodles, then the taco mince, repeat. Top with cheese and when cooked serve with sour cream and guacamole. Same meal but just done differently.

If they love a strogonoff made with beef strips try it with chicken instead.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Sounds fun. Give it a try!

I’m always changing things up now and again.

right now ... it’s ...

Monday-tacos
Tuesday thru Thursday is a local meal box kit we started in February.
Friday-Pizza
Saturday-Take out of a local place
Sunday-Rotation between Breaded chicken stuffed with sausage & cheese, Red Macaroni, and BBQ chicken.

I went with a friend to a Tour of Kitchens February 8th ... just before life shut down. One of the food venders at one of the sites was a local meal box kit. It was yummy and my friend informed me that she has been receiving the meals for a year now! So, I knew DS16 actually likes cooking and baking so I got it. It is three meals every week and OH MY is it ever GOOD! DS is really enjoying it. I think we will call it culinary class credits for homeschooling!!!

DH is dealing pretty well as it’s a food exposure for him as he’s Mr Meat and Potatoes and these meals are fresh local veggie heavy ... :D

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I've never done as much menu planning as I've been doing the last few months. It's primarily a result of the new healthy lifestyle eating plan DH and I are adopting. I've been trying many new recipes, too, and most of them are definitely repeaters. What I'm doing for now is keeping a record of the meals we like in categories. So I have a list of chicken recipes, beef, pork, seafood, and vegetarian. Then, as I'm making a weekly menu plan, I consult that list. I'm going to add a category for other recipes that we like that don't necessarily conform to this new eating plan, so that if we want to deviate occasionally, I can refer to that list.

As I said, I'm new to this weekly menu planning, so I'm still discovering what works best for us.

When I make a dinner plan for company, I like to keep a record of it to refer back to what I've already fixed for them and/or look at menu combinations that worked well. I also try to note what the guests' likes and dislikes are.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I bought a 2021 calendar a few days ago and spent some tome yesterday making meal ideas for the new year. I have transferred recently menu plans to the new calendar. I do need to look at some new meal ideas. I am going to look at on line menus for places like IHOP or our local burger place and see if there is any ideas that I can borrow.

Reactions: teachermomof2

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I bought a 2021 calendar a few days ago and spent some tome yesterday making meal ideas for the new year. I have transferred recently menu plans to the new calendar. I do need to look at some new meal ideas. I am going to look at on line menus for places like IHOP or our local burger place and see if there is any ideas that I can borrow.

Great minds think alike! Just yesterday I was thinking I should look online for copycat recipes of things we like at restaurants. It would save so much money rather than eating out. Plus, we have to drive 50 miles to get to any major sit down and eat chain restaurants, so there's gas added to the cost.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
So far Jane I've been doing pretty good at keeping up my Yearly Menu Calendar. I do like you are doing with the copycat recipes. Since we eat gluten free I have to change them up a little but so far it has worked great. Let us know what you find.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Diedra, I was looking at a web site last night that sells gluten free ingredients.

Nuts.com

I thought about you when I was looking at it.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
This is the sort of thing I am doing. When I get a little bored with my current menus I find looking at restaurants websites to get ideas of what we would like to add to our menu plans.
For example, the jalapeno kick is something that we would all enjoy,. Not necessarily as a burger but individual ingredients on a plate.
Most restaurants have their menus online so it easy to look up ideas and modify to suit your families likes.1597538829691.jpeg

Last edited:

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Checking out restaurant menus for ideas is a wonderful idea!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Sure now I want a burger or two.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Great minds think alike! Just yesterday I was thinking I should look online for copycat recipes of things we like at restaurants. It would save so much money rather than eating out. Plus, we have to drive 50 miles to get to any major sit down and eat chain restaurants, so there's gas added to the cost.

I do a lot of copy cat recipes since so many of our favorite restaurants are over 40 miles away. The family now prefers many of my dishes over the restaurant versions. LOL My alfredo is definitely better than Olive Garden's. ;) The newest I tried was Chicken Stir Fried Rice and it was not even close to a restaurant version. It's hit or miss.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I have kept all of my menus for this year....I print a monthly calendar, so I kept them all in a bundle on the fridge. I thought I'd use them for inspiration.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have kept all of my menus for this year.
I found a calendar from 2017 and am transferring some of those ideas to my new calendar. It is easy for things that we like to suddenly disappear from the rotation.