Making Book Club selections

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
For our book club, we've decided to change up the way we are selecting books, to insure that everyone gets to make a choice. Previously, we've all brought suggestions and talked about them, before one dominant member offers up her choices (and everyone nods and smiles). We wanted to make it fair for everyone and decided to have members offer up suggestions, with each one getting a turn. So, for example, this last time, I was asked to select (since I was hosting) and I offered 3 suggestions and we selected one from those three. We'll start next month with Beth choosing, followed by Betty, Debbie, Jean, etc. If the person can't make the book club meeting, they can send their suggestions to the host, who will offer suggestions on their behalf.

Curious ... If you're in a book club, how do you make your selections? And, what does your group do if someone (repeatedly) doesn't read the book (tried a few pages and didn't like it; not their genre; maybe can't read???? I don't know, but always an excuse) and can't meaningfully contribute to the conversation, just likes the social aspect the book club offers?

Reactions: luludou

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Curious ... If you're in a book club, how do you make your selections? And, what does your group do if someone (repeatedly) doesn't read the book (tried a few pages and didn't like it; not their genre; maybe can't read???? I don't know, but always an excuse) and can't meaningfully contribute to the conversation, just likes the social aspect the book club offers?
This person can choose the next book and lead the meeting. Either they get a jump start or they just come for the social aspect. We always took suggestions and voted. Also have seen people have different genre assigned each month. So if it wasn’t to someone’s liking they could skip that month. One club limited the members to 12 and each person took a month Of anything they wanted. Had lots if variety with that club. One month it was a cookbook but it had history to go along with each recipe.

Reactions: luludou and Lori K

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I've always wanted to belong to a book club but never found one/been invited so I troll friends who belong to them and often read their suggestions. And I sometimes make suggestions to them.

Missing the social aspect.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Hi Lori!
I was in a book club (fell apart with COVID). We did how your club used to do. At the end of the get together, we would throw out book ideas. A lot of the members wanted to choose from the list of the 2 free books you get every month if you are an Amazon Prime member.
I kind of just went with the flow but they were often books I would have never picked out.
I did like them, though.
We often had people show up that had not read the book. Our format was to: socialize, discuss the book, socialize again.
So, if someone came for the social aspect, they had 2 chunks of time to do so. And if they didn't participate in the discussion, that was ok.
One thing lacking in our group (I felt), it was a free flowing talk. No real "discussion questions."

I've always wanted to be a part of a book club where each member is in charge of hosting a month. Which would include being in charge of the discussion questions or leading the discussion.
At the end of the gathering, the next month's host would announce their pick for the next month. And it's their choice. My SIL's book club even does self- help or spiritual types of books so they are not reading the exact same genre every month.
This could help your non- participator.

halimer- I always look at Colleen Scharpf's (used to post here at MHH) book club pics on fb and usually will read their choices. Their club really gets into it. Decorates according to the theme of the book. I think Colleen is the one who leads that group and does the decorating.
I've also seen where Barnes and Noble has clubs- one is a "classics" group and another a "mystery" group.
My local library has a "Who done it/mystery" group. Of course they meet right during the work day....

This thread is making me want to get the group together again. I was with 2 of the gals last night at another group get together and almost said, "Should we start book club back up again?"

Annie

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I tried the hygge online book club which was virtual... did not like it... maybe I should've perservered. The book was ok and not something I would've picked but I enjoyed it. The discussion part I didn't like much. I think there were too many people online.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I tried the hygge online book club which was virtual... did not like it... maybe I should've perservered. The book was ok and not something I would've picked but I enjoyed it. The discussion part I didn't like much. I think there were too many people online.
I feel the same way when a book club has a lot of people. Then it ends up with groups talking at the same time. Keeping it small is nice but reduces the input sometimes if it is all similar people. Or if you go to a book club with people who have been together for a long time. I tried the book club at our library but the group was people who had been together for 20 to 30 years. Not very welcoming to new members.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I stopped going to book club years ago, when my grandson came to live with me. (I notified them I was stopping. Even though he is back with his mom now, I haven't gone.) They still include me in the emails, which I am thankful for.
Since Covid, it's been Zoom meetings which I am thinking I may attend again the next round. (They stop during the summer months.)
Books were decided for the session (Sept-June). We all had an opportunity to suggest books, then they were voted on.
(One person left because the books she suggested were only read once.)
There have been books I didn't like at all. I read them anyway, to be able to be a part of the discussion. When we read the book Peter's Lullabye we also had an evening where we attended the author's lecture at our local SUNY college.
I have been trying out the Netflix Book Club books. I'm on my second one & so far have enjoyed the books.
I would love to be a part of this, but I cannot promise attendance every month. I can promise to try, that's about it.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I started joining the book club at church earlier in the year and it's been fine. I find that it pushes me to read books outside of my normal area. My attention span is short and I get bored with really long books, so I tend to keep it simple. For that book club we all pick three books and then put them in a jar and someone draws one out every month. I was a little irritated because we had this fabulous activity at church that was basically booked themed and someone said their favorite book was Team of Rivals which is a book a about President Lincolns cabinet. Well immediately one of the ladies started whining... do you know how long that book is!?!? I wanted to say look, I just listened to The Duke and I, which is what Bridgerton is based on and was bored out of my mind. It's okay!!! haha When I had looked up the audio book it was only 9 hours long and I've listened to books way longer for book club too.

I also follow along with one of the buys who runs a Christmas podcast. This year he picked a different prompting based on Christmas movies or stories and that's been fun. For Example
January was The Santa Clause: Read a story about family
February was The Grinch: Read a story about redemption or an unlikable character

He's made some suggestions he's reading and I've really had fun with a couple Christmas stories written by authors I've not followed. The good thing is they don't have to be Christmas books either.

Last month I decided to start following Reese Witherspoons book club just for fun. I've listened to soooo many books this year. It's been great!!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I started joining the book club at church earlier in the year and it's been fine. I find that it pushes me to read books outsidlast nighte of my normal area. My attention span is short and I get bored with really long books, so I tend to keep it simple. For that book club we all pick three books and then put them in a jar and someone draws one out every month. I was a little irritated because we had this fabulous activity at church that was basically booked themed and someone said their favorite book was Team of Rivals which is a book a about President Lincolns cabinet. Well immediately one of the ladies started whining... do you know how long that book is!?!? I wanted to say look, I just listened to The Duke and I, which is what Bridgerton is based on and was bored out of my mind. It's okay!!! haha When I had looked up the audio book it was only 9 hours long and I've listened to books way longer for book club too.

I also follow along with one of the buys who runs a Christmas podcast. This year he picked a different prompting based on Christmas movies or stories and that's been fun. For Example
January was The Santa Clause: Read a story about family
February was The Grinch: Read a story about redemption or an unlikable character

He's made some suggestions he's reading and I've really had fun with a couple Christmas stories written by authors I've not followed. The good thing is they don't have to be Christmas books either.

Last month I decided to start following Reese Witherspoons book club just for fun. I've listened to soooo many books this year. It's been great!!
Was that the Cozy Christmas podcast? I like his idea but I haven't had any extra free time to read this year.

For our book club, we've decided to change up the way we are selecting books, to insure that everyone gets to make a choice. Previously, we've all brought suggestions and talked about them, before one dominant member offers up her choices (and everyone nods and smiles). We wanted to make it fair for everyone and decided to have members offer up suggestions, with each one getting a turn. So, for example, this last time, I was asked to select (since I was hosting) and I offered 3 suggestions and we selected one from those three. We'll start next month with Beth choosing, followed by Betty, Debbie, Jean, etc. If the person can't make the book club meeting, they can send their suggestions to the host, who will offer suggestions on their behalf.

I run a Jane Austen book club. I've been in this book club for <gulp> 12 years now. The only reason I've been in a book club this long is we meet every 6 weeks or so and we read one book for the year. I know it would bore people to tears to do it this way but it works for us.

Our year starts in September. We take December off. Then we meet from January until June. We try to meet in July or August based on our vacation schedules.

We read through all of Austen's books in the order they were published. Then we read biographies on Austen. People threw out ideas of biographies, etc. to read. We gave them a try. If some were boring, then we mention it and finish it by the end of November. In January we'd start with a new book. We also read about Regency life.
In September, we started back to reading Austen's books. We just finished up Sense and Sensibility last night. Our meeting locations have changed over the years. We found a central location for most people and until Covid, we met there. Since then, we've been meeting online. We met in person once last year but then Covid numbers increased and online seemed like a safer option. We were going to meet in person last night but one of our members broke her foot and needs to stay off of it. So we met online.

I think because we have one book for the entire year, it does make it hard for one to hide if they didn't read it. It's basically 70 - 100 pages for every meeting. I've notice that if people haven't read their assignment, they won't show up. You can't hide in a small group of 5 or 6 people. On the other hand, if life has been stressful and the member hasn't done the reading, but wants to be around people, she'll show up and be honest with us. She'll also try to contribute to the conversation.

We have a set start and end time. Food and drinks are not involved with the meeting. That helps with costs and those who are concerned about food allergies.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Was that the Cozy Christmas podcast? I like his idea but I haven't had any extra free time to read this year.

It was. I'm honestly surprised I've been keeping up, but I find it fun.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Holiday_Mom-
Whenever you talk about your Jane Austen book club, it makes me think of my Mom.
She was a Jane Austen super fan!!!!
She even went and toured around "Jane Austen" area in England.
I went with her to see a theater production of Pride and Prejudice put on by the Arizona Theater Company.
I was going through some of her things and found a sweatshirt that said, "I love Mr. Darcy" that one of my brother's had given her.

Annie