Mantel Ideas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

zchristy

Santa's Elves
We have a beautiful Cherrywood fireplace that I love. This year I want to do a Christmas mantel that features my two favourite wood nativities- an olive wood nativity and an ivory nativity from our trip to Malawi. My goal is to not buy anything new and I'd like ideas that won't damage the fireplace. Any ideas or colour schemes? Thanks!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Christy, are there colours in the room that you wish to highlight? or a theme you already have that is connecting?

Do you live in an area of natural items, such as pines or other greens, that you can bring in?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'm a fan of green & red... but gold would look good too.

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
Christy, you didn't say how big your nativity sets are, but if they're not too big, you might want to elevate one of them on a box or stacked books, which could be covered by fabric. I'd use a cloth napkin. Then add greenery and pinecones. Maybe votive candles. One year, I used brass candlesticks with white candles, a lot of mixed greenery, and all my star ornaments, randomly placed, adding some sheet music stars that I made. (I'm a musician.) It was one of the best mantels I've done. You might be able to incorporate some of those ideas with your nativity sets. I wouldn't let it get too busy, though. You don't want anything to detract from your unusual nativities. My mantel is painted white, though I've never had anything bleed on it. You might want to try cutting a piece of felt the same size as your mantel, and try some artist's or painter's tape to hold it in place. I don't think either would damage your wood, and if the fabric isn't fastened in place, it may slide off, taking your decorations with it! I'd read the directions carefully, though. Good luck!