March 2019 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I went through my winter clothes. I have one grocery bag for donations and one grocery bag not worth donating went to the trash.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Great job Mary. I did a huge purge of clothes just after this Summer and it has actually made life easier for me.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Thanks, Katrina. I'm quite thrilled that I did this in March. :) It's usually something that doesn't get done until May or even October when I pull out the winter clothes.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I'm working my way through the sizes in my closet because I'm hoping that when it's time for some new clothes, I'll be ready for an even smaller size! The ones that are still in good condition will be donated, I already have one pair of dress pants to go.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Thanks, Katrina. I'm quite thrilled that I did this in March. :) It's usually something that doesn't get done until May or even October when I pull out the winter clothes.
I think because we are more organised this year things are easier. As busy as I am I seem to have more time.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I sorted through and organized 4 shelves. 2 small bags went to the trash. I added some more items to the donate pile. I have 3 book shelves that I'd like to go through before the end of the month.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I believe DD26 and I have touched everything from every room, closet, shelf, and drawer and decided if it sparked joy or not. A lot did not. So, I'm at a point that I have donated away quite a bit and what is here … is staying. Thank you, Marie Kondo …. :)

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
That's wonderfiul jampass. You have been working very hard. What did you do when you couldn't decide on something?
How is DS doing with his program?

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
We sat it aside and thought about it some more. There were times when I thought I’d keep a lot more crafting stuff .... and in the end, I donated it because I decided to concentrate on crocheting and not have 1000 other craft supplies I would probably not ever get to.

DS15 is home! He did well. Thank you for thinking about him.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
DS is home! Glad to hear he did so well. As I went through my house I found I sat aside more than I I had hoped. I will be doing a second round this summer on hopes of removing more.

I did the same with my craft item but still have too much. Lol.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I so need to go through my crafting. I have pared down a lot over the years but could still do more. I think maybe it needs to be more organised too as it is mainly just sitting in bins. Need to think about this.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
minta I do the same thing with my old sheets and towels. I also came on to report my decluttering for the week and like EVERYONE else I just did one of my bookshelfs and I filled a whole plastic tote. Still have another one in my husbands office, but that will have to wait until he's out of town. I'm also going to work on my craft closets the next couple weeks, so I'll be back.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have a small box in the garage ready to go.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My next declutter project is family photos from my Dad's side of the family. I'll make copies of ones I want and the rest will be mailed to my brother. I'm only keeping two scrapbook pages of photos from all of these.
First no one really wants all these photos and now a days people are not interested in family history.
dad_2419.jpg

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
My next declutter project is family photos from my Dad's side of the family. I'll make copies of ones I want and the rest will be mailed to my brother. I'm only keeping two scrapbook pages of photos from all of these.
First no one really wants all these photos and now a days people are not interested in family history.
View attachment 448
I suppose with all of the DNA-type ancestry services available today, people don't have an interest in seeing the paper trail of their family history through photographs and diaries. I'm the complete opposite; I have a few very old photographs and would love to have more. Sadly, I don't have the details for many of them as I didn't have as much of an interest when my older family members were still around to tell me the who, what, when, where, and why of the photos.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
View attachment 448

I am a family history geek because my parents didn't know who their great grandparents were. I've been researching for 21 years trying to piece the family history together. Are there any 2nd cousins/distant cousins on your dad's side that would be interested in them? I've been reaching out to 2nd and 3rd cousins who are interested in family history. It's always wonderful to see a picture of family member that you never had seen before.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
The bookshelves are done and so is the office decluttering. :) I just need to plan a time to make the donations. I was thinking about the next room to do but I've just realized have decluttered every room during these last six months.

Maybe it's time to declutter the photos on the phone and computer...

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Thanks for the reminder about donating to animal shelters.
I'm a paper person so I love the old photos. Always makes me sad to see them at auctions and flea markets.
Husband and I went through the last couple of boxes of his dad's things. There's another box to shred now.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, well done on having decluttered every room. I am sure that you are noticing a difference.
I still have a ways to go, need to finish off the dining room this week, did not find the time ti do it all last week.