May 2023 Menu Plans

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Monday - Pork Chops, Rice, Broccoli
Tuesday - Hamburger at the ballpark
Wednesday - Hamburger Potato Casserole (will put it together and let it bake while at church)
Thursday - Baseball Banquet for DGS#1/Closing Baseball Ceremonies for DGS#2
Friday - Baked Chicken, Salad, Baked Beans
Saturday - Sausage Pasta Salad, Green Salad
Sunday - Family Reunion

Reactions: jampss

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I don't make recipes using bleu cheese or brie due to a penicillian allergy. Is anyone aware of other cheeses that might work well as a replacement? I'm sure the flavor can't be replaced but what about the texture?
My first thought would be gouda. It would melt easily and give you a little creamy texture. Also note, from what I understand, the cillin in brie is in the outer covering. Could you cut that off and only use the soft interior cheese?

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Monday - Tacos and salad
Tuesday - Lentil Bolognese and salad
Wednesday - Ham Salad sandwiches and salad
Thursday - Spinach Artichoke Pasta and salad
Friday - Tuna Sandwiches and salad
Saturday and Sunday - leftovers

I don't make recipes using bleu cheese or brie due to a penicillian allergy. Is anyone aware of other cheeses that might work well as a replacement? I'm sure the flavor can't be replaced but what about the texture?

Which reminds me, we have nut allergies here. I have bought imitation nut extracts to use in baking and cooking. When I made the Orange Orzo salad the other night, I replaced the almonds with unsalted sunflower seeds and then added a teaspoon of imitation almond extract to the dressing. That seemed to work well enough.
You could try it with mozzarella or fontina. Or if you like goat cheese but that might be a bit strong Bur then I do not like goat cheese.

Interesting about the penicillin allergy and the brie. I have a few problem with some brands of brie Cheese but not others. wonder if they use a wheat product on of the the rind to get it to grow. Research for tonight. I can eat the cheap brie but not the tastier priced ones.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
May 28 - June 3, 2023
Sunday
-- burgers on the grill, grilled potatoes, pasta salad ended up going to DDs for BBQ
Monday -- hot dogs on grill, coleslaw, baked beans
Tuesday -- tomato celery soup, grilled cheese, salad
Wednesday -- grilled italian sausage w/ marinara and mozzarella on buns, salad
Thursday --grilled chicken, roasted potatoes, salad
Friday -- pizza, salad
Saturday -- BBQ pork tenderloin, baked sweet potato, baked apples, coleslaw or salad

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My whole menu will be changing to protein, veggies and a fruit with each of my two meals a day on this coming Monday. Sat and Sun I still will be eating three meals but have some guidelines to follow. I am now working on have a 6 week plan of menus to prepare for the 6 weeks of eating with no added fat (learning to cook with water or broth on youtube), no rice, bread, potatoes or beans and no dairy. It is also gluten free but I am already doing that. Should be interesting. I learned how to make caramelized onions today using just water.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I find it really tough to menu plan....

Today - london broil on the grill with corn and a choice of potato salad, cole slaw or leftover salad from last night
tomorrow - probably shrimp with orzo pasta as it's meatless Monday; might try one of those over night bread recipes
Tuesday - going into the city and not sure when I'll be home so leftovers
Wednesday - maybe a stir fry and some dumplings from Trader Joe's
Thursday - usually Panera before we pick up Buffy at day care
Friday - OMG - I'm stuck! Tacos with rice?
Saturday and Sunday - going to see DS and DDIL in the Hamptons - one night I'm sure will be lobster:)
Memorial Day - if it's a holiday it's not meatless Monday so, if we get home and it's not raining will do hamburgers and hot dogs with beans for DH
Next Tuesday and Wednesday - we have baseball game tickets for both nights. Tuesday is our anniversary and Wednesday is Bark in the Park when we take our dogs to the game
Thursday - should be having an early dinner with by friend Inge so DH is on his own
Friday again........
Now you will understand why it is hard to menu plan....

I got a cold so....
Sunday and Monday were OK
Tuesday - tacos and rice
Wednesday - chicken frazier - a cross between chicken curry and butter chicken
Thursday - leftovers
Friday - tuna salad with blintzes (Shavout - a holiday when one eats dairy so I made blintzes - not as good as my mother's_
Saturday - Chinese take out
Sunday - fajitas and rice
Monday - hamburgers and hot dogs, fries and beans

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My first thought would be gouda. It would melt easily and give you a little creamy texture. Also note, from what I understand, the cillin in brie is in the outer covering. Could you cut that off and only use the soft interior cheese?
Thanks, Lori. Gouda sounds like an option. I don't think anyone of us wants to be the guinia pig with the brie.
You could try it with mozzarella or fontina. Or if you like goat cheese but that might be a bit strong Bur then I do not like goat cheese.
Fontina sounds interesting too, Deirdre. I'm not a fan of plain goat cheese but we keep it on hand for my lactose-intolerant daughter. However, I do like the honey flavored goat cheese and the other fruit-flavored goat cheese out there.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Diedra looks alot like the diet I'm trying to follow but some veggies have to be elminated or reduced too

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Diedra looks alot like the diet I'm trying to follow but some veggies have to be elminated or reduced too
Any veggie like squash, carrots, beets, potatoes are limited to 1/4 cup servings. Other veggies, like broccolini, Brussel sprouts, radishes are 1/2 cup but no corn, peas, beans. Leaf greens are 1 cup. I am to have 3 to 4 servings per meal Plus 4 oz protein and at the end of the meal eat 4 oz of fruit. Munch on cucumbers or celery if you must have a snack.

Reactions: jampss

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Diedra, looks like an interesting meal plan. I wish you great success.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul