May 28th-June 3rd 2023

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Well this week sees us at the end of May. June 1st is the beginning of Winter for us even though it has been cold for the past few weeks. I am not a fan of the cold but like the heat even less so Winter is a small blessing. I will use the next 3 months to get some projects done and to do some jobs around the house that are best done during this time of the year. Always something to do.

Daily:
Water throughout day, especially as we have the heating on.
Shower/bath at night,
Moisturise, brush teeth, lip balm, hand cream
Clean kitchen and DW on before bed.
Read and sleep at reasonable time

Weekly:
*washing (X)(X)
*fold washing (X)
*vacuum floors ( )
*clean bathrooms ( )( )
*meal planning (X)
*general tidy up (X)
*clean fridge/freezers ( )
*tidy pantry/stockpile ( )
*make work lunches ( )
*shopping list (fortnightly) (X) grocery shopping (fortnightly) (X)

Quarterly/Seasonal Goals:
March, April and May-Autumn......will set new goals this week.

*Baking day, try a new recipe and an old favourite. (X)
*Organise DH 60th, Easter and Mum's 80th (X) (X) (X)
*Tidy photo trunk (X) a Winter project....Done
*Start and complete Winter HGP (X) Done
*Prepare for Nationals in April (X) Done....next year Tasmania!
*Target savings in bank (X) Set a new goal to hit buy the end of May.
*Review word of the year ( )
*Visit DH's Uncle ( )
*Day trip to Cooma (X)
*Day trip to Yass ( )
*3 day trip to Shepparton (X) scheduled for May.....done
*At least one no spend day/week per month (X)(X)(X)
*Start thinking ahead for Winter, meals (X)plans (X)celebrations ( )goals (X)

Extras:
Fun/Christmas prep:

*tidy gift closet (X)
*update planner (X)
*work on CIJ posts (X)
*work on wrapping party posts (X)
*do something that is just for me ( ) started watching a new show
*start/continue/finish one craft project ( )
*start/continue/finish one book/magazine ( ) Goal for the year is to read 10. I have read 9
*continue looking for stocking fillers, gifts and supplies ( ) My challenge for 2023 is to do great stockings, useful and interesting items.

This week:

*Connect with family via phone, email or text (X)
*Work Monday ( ) It's a holiday this week
*Work Tuesday (X)
*Groceries Thursday (X)
*Print photos KMart (X)
*Tidy up the magazine tear outs (X)
*Lunch with a friend Friday(X)
*Dinner with friend Friday night (X)
*Farm Saturday (X)

5 small chores:
*Wrap DB birthday present (X)
*Tidy safe/check emergency tote (X)
*Post end of season review and plans for Winter ( )
*Change bed to Winter linen ( )
*Dusting (X)
*Work on Rudy Day post (X)

Word of the Year 2023: Progress

Last edited:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
School's out and i'm back! I hope to keep up with this thread again over the summer. My goal is to get a strong routine going that I can keep going into the next school year. I feel like I did nothing during the school year and I want to change that. I was so exhausted every night that I didn't even cook dinner, DH took care of all of that even though he worked all day too. This needs to change.

Daily

Drink Water- at least 48 oz and work up to more
Gym during the week [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Water plants [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X]
Read a book- [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X]

Weekly

[X] Pick an area to work on in the house- Pantry/Freezer
[X] Menu plan/shop
[-] Make zucchini bread
[/] Dust/vacuum bedroom
[-] Clean bathroom
[-] Tidy closet
[X] Ensure kids are doing their chores

Events/Appointments

[X] Oil change (Tue)
[X] Funeral (Wed)
[X] Choir practice (Thur)
[X] JCLC (Sat-Thur)

Last edited:

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I was so exhausted every night that I didn't even cook dinner, DH took care of all of that even though he worked all day too. This needs to change.
I taught each of my children (4) how to cook a meal and they had assigned days. It really helped with getting meals for supper on the table. My meal plan is very simple each week we plan a protein - beef, chicken, (other fish, pork, etc) pasta dish and breakfast for dinner. Weekends are pizza, leftovers, and sandwiches. Basic but it works and keeps the food bill from having to increase. The crockpot is a wonderful tool too. In the summer when it is to hot you can stick it in the garage to keep the heat out of the kitchen. As you cook this summer double the recipe and freeze for those hectic school nights.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I taught each of my children (4) how to cook a meal and they had assigned days. It really helped with getting meals for supper on the table. My meal plan is very simple each week we plan a protein - beef, chicken, (other fish, pork, etc) pasta dish and breakfast for dinner. Weekends are pizza, leftovers, and sandwiches. Basic but it works and keeps the food bill from having to increase. The crockpot is a wonderful tool too. In the summer when it is to hot you can stick it in the garage to keep the heat out of the kitchen. As you cook this summer double the recipe and freeze for those hectic school nights.

I wish I could double recipes for the freezer, but we don't have the space. We don't have a separate stand alone freezer and our freezer drawer under the fridge is too small to hold a lot of extra. Maybe once I clean it out we can have more space and not clutter it with things we never eat. It would be great to get the kids on board for the school year. They know how to make some things, they just don't.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Jess- The only thing that has worked for me is to do very very simple dinner menus during the work week.
I have often picked a recipe to try and at the end of a busy workday it is the last thing I want to tackle.
If I have simple things on hand- throwing a seasoned chicken breast(s) in the oven, I have no excuse to go and get takeout.
Maybe this summer could be a time of exploration- gathering dinner ideas, what the kids can do, trying out simple recipes.

I'm sure you are very excited for the summer and taking some time to work on your own personal self care and pursuits! Enjoy!

Katrina- I am very impressed with your list!

Maybe I will join in with you ladies. I have gotten out of most of my weekly tasks/lists just due to being so upset at work.

Annie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
As you cook this summer double the recipe and freeze for those hectic school nights.
What a great idea. Cook once, eat twice is a great time saver plus helps with deciding what to serve..
It would be great to get the kids on board for the school year. They know how to make some things, they just don't.
Jess, when my kids were teenagers we spoke with them about what they could do to help out.. They were very receptive and on board. They made very simple things, quesadillas, tacos, pasta etc. They enjoyed it and it was a great help.
Katrina- I am very impressed with your list!
I crave routine....some weeks are better than others. I also use this as a sort of journal. EG If I want to remember when I got the car serviced it is usually written here some where.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jess....welcome to Summer, I hope that you have a great few months and get a good rest.
Nice to see Jody and Annie here, join in if you get time. I am always so interested to see what your weeks look like.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
It would be great to get the kids on board for the school year. They know how to make some things, they just don't.
My 16 yr. old will be making one dinner a week this summer. I'll still plan for five meals. I've done this with my older ones when they were in high school. The idea was that once they graduate high school (and go to college or move out and get a 9-5 job) they should be able to cook their own meals. They didn't like it at the time but I think it developed their confidence and it was one less thing to learn to do on their own aftr high school.

It took extra time on my part making sure that the meal was planned and then shopping together for the ingredients (or they'd do the grocery shopping once they had their license). Oh, the other thing that was hard was to keep my mouth shut when I saw mistakes happen short of causing a fire. We had some diasterous meals that we laugh at now. :D

Daily:
  • Exercise
  • Prayer
  • Calendar Review of Appointments/Meetings
  • Reading
  • Writing

Weekly:
  • Dust/Vacuum/Mop
  • Bills
  • Laundry
  • Menu Planning
  • Groceries
  • End of Week Reflection
  • Set Research/Writing Goals
  • Weed Garden

Monthly:
  • Living Room/Dining Room/Hall/Front Porch
    • Dust Blinds.
    • Sweep the front porch.
    • Clean the front door.
    • Wipe down the wall and door jambs.
    • Dust the chandelier.
    • Wipe down dining room chairs.
    • Declutter

Last edited:
Reactions: jampss

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
It took extra time on my part making sure that the meal was planned and then shopping together for the ingredients
Mary. we did this with our kids too. Once they had planned what they were cooking we went with them to the supermarket where we showed them how to look for the best produce etc. It was an eye opening experience and taught them so much. They were especially surprised at what things cost even back then and I think it gave them an appreciation of looking for a bargain and how to meal prep to a budget.
Certainly a valuable lesson.

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I agree about teaching child about cooking and shopping. To teach my kids about money I would cash my check and then the kids would divide it up into envelopes for the bills and groceries. At first they thought we were rich, than we ”paid” the house payment which was the largest bill, then utilities were divided up and the rest was for groceries, fun things and gas for the. Car. Really opened their eyes. DD was a 9th grade and DS was 4th grade. DS even said he thought you just went to the bank when you needed money. Had no idea you had to put in money first.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DS even said he thought you just went to the bank when you needed money. Had no idea you had to put in money first.
My nephew for the longest time thought that ATMs were just magically full of money. He would ask for things and say just go get the money from the bank not realising it had to be deposited first. I think he is a little wiser now.

Teaching kids about life skills is something that I feel is lacking nowadays, many cannot grasp the concept.