Memorial Day ...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
Greetings all,
Just wondering what traditions/Memorial Day plans you all might have. In our family, we observe the day in its traditional decoration day roots, and jaunt to the cemetery to plant geraniums on the graves of our loved-ones. In the afternoon we gather for a luncheon; I am hostessing this year and will be serving:

*Charcuterie/cheese board
*tortellini salad, green salad, fruit salad
*Chilean sea bass & sweet potatoes fries
*Strawberry short cake

Here’s hoping that the weather holds-out, so that we can dine on the terrace.

Wishing you all a glorious day!

Gidget-

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My family has never really celebrated Memorial Day. LC1 and her family do a Cemetery Run on the Friday before to decorate graves. They visit several so they make a whole day of it.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
It sounds like a wonderful day for your family. We usually have rain so we don't plan anything in particular. We do honor our living vets at church and praying for our deceased vets and their families.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DD and I were in Washington DC on Memorial Day 2014. An amazing day and I was glad that I got to commemorate it.
Here we have ANZAC day on April 25th. A very special day for Australians.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Katrina, a few years back we discovered that my great great grandfather's brother immigrated to Tasmania. He had a son who serve and died in Gallipoli. Ever since finding that out, we honor him in our home on 25 April.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Katrina, a few years back we discovered that my great great grandfather's brother immigrated to Tasmania. He had a son who serve and died in Gallipoli. Ever since finding that out, we honor him in our home on 25 April.
That is so nice that you found this out and now honor his memory and service.