Microwave and Toaster Oven Question

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Our microwave died last night while making dinner. It was old. It was my husbands from his bachelor days. Since I took it off the counter, our kitchen looks so much bigger. Our kitchen is not set up for an over the stove microwave.

I've got two questions. First, have any of you not replaced your microwave once it died? Second, for those who have both a microwave and a toaster oven, is there one that you prefer more than the other?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I just got a toaster oven for my birthday and use it in place of the oven and the microwave sometimes. It's nice because it doesn't heat up the house like the oven does. My model also air fries.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I have an over the stove microwave that is about to be replaced for the third time. I have, in fact gotten rid of my toaster oven and replaced it with a plain toaster.

Sometimes I miss the toaster oven but not too often.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I have both and use both...the microwave mainly for thawing things, making tea, popcorn, and hot pockets occasionally for a quick meal. DH would be lost without the microwave for the popcorn...has it almost every day. Not sure how I feel about an over-the-stove ones since they don't vent outside, but I would love that it would free up counter space...I hate things on the counter tops! lol

I like the toaster oven for not heating up the kitchen, too, sometimes or reheating things I don't want to re-heat in the microwave or big oven.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm beginning to think that we might end up with another microwave first before getting a toaster oven. Dh would like to get one again. Since March, dh has been working from and reheats leftovers in the microwave for lunch. I didn't think I'd miss it but last night while getting dinner ready, I realized how much I use it for dinner. It was rather comical trying to manage dinner without the microwave.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I use my microwave many times a day. Heating leftover, defrosting items and cooking. I do a lot of freezer meals so sometimes for dinner all I need to do is defrost and heat. For coffee we have an instant hot water tap in our sink. Dh couldn't live without it for his instant coffee and his oatmeal.

Never have had a toaster oven. I could live without an oven before I could do without a microwave. lol

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
My stove has a double oven, one big , one small so I got rid of the toaster oven. We use our microwave all the time every day. I couldn’t live without it. We have over the years replaced with a smaller ones so they don’t have too big of a foot print. I’m blessed with lots of counter space too.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm on the look out for a wall oven. Either a double or 1 1/2. That's next on my list to replace at the house. Of course tomorrow I might have something else at the top of the list since it does keep changing.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I’m blessed with lots of counter space too.

That sounds so nice...

I'm on the look out for a wall oven. Either a double or 1 1/2. That's next on my list to replace at the house. Of course tomorrow I might have something else at the top of the list since it does keep changing.
Oh, a double wall oven... that sounds dreamy too...

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have always thought a kitchen needs two ovens and two dishwashers. Fill one dishwasher with dishes to wash. Then this one does not get unloaded until you need what is inside. Just take out what you need. Figure this is your clean cabinet. You fill the other dishwasher with dirty dishes. Every day you need to wash you will have one dishwasher that is clean and one that needs washing. Saves all the time of putting dishes away.

• Love