Mixing in the Swedish tomtar ....

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ScoutingSquirrel

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2011
Hello!
I have recently found out about the visiting Christmas Elves and couldn't wait to introduce them! We are a British family living in Sweden and the Swedes already have resident elves ... so I'm going to mixing in as much as possible of the local traditions!

The tomte (singular) tomtar (plural) are the elves of the land, the actual plot of land your home is on ... Wiki suugests that they are linked to the spirit of the person who first settled the land. They are sometimes also considered forest elves, but usually seem to make their homes in barns, stables or other outbuildings.

They are a bit like the Scots brownie, or boggart, in that they are generally benevolant and even helpful to the farmer - particularly where animals are concerned - but they can play tricks or actually cause a lot of trouble if they get offended.

They appear all over everywhere at this time of year! (Shops selling them, cafes, decorations in homes) They are becoming more and more like Santa but more traditionally have grey, natural, black or brown trousers and boots/clogs with a splash of red somewhere and always a red pointed hat.

So! We have a pair of tomtar visiting to check on our Christmas preparations and whether the boys are naughty or nice, and to report back to Santa ... ours live here in the village (I've told the boys that the tomtar move in from the forests in the winter and are found closer to, and sometimes inside, human homes) but they have the passports from Organised Christmas suitably adjusted to let them travel to the North Pole for meetings, training courses, or to make reports to Santa!

Looking forward to learning from those of you who have done this before, and reading all the adventures of your elves!
Helen (and Robin and Joseph)

ScoutingSquirrel

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2011
Our elves arrived today ... not from the North Pole as I want to use as much of the Scandinavian traditions as possible so, on the way back from school, we happened to talk about the tomtar being 'everywhere' at the moment (they are, all shops seem to have some on sale or as decoration, cafes, ornaments in people's windows, etc.) and that it must because of the cold rainy (gale winds) we've been having .... suppose they live out in the forest during the summer, camping, or perhaps in treehouses - I'd love that - or, Robin said, 'like the Faraway tree' ... (Enid Blyton book)

We got home and one was sitting in Robin's place at the table, on the bench seat cushions, with a label
"Hej, I'm Tomte Tom. We have come to visit to see whether you are being naughty or nice. Can you help me find my sister, Tomte Tina?"

She was eventually located underneath the sofa, in a bit of a tangle with 12 crocheted snowflakes ... so the boys hung those on the tree.

Robin was having long conversations with both elves/tomtar and cuddled them whilst watching TV ... unfortunately they do seem to be ornament construction rather than children's toy and Tom's foot keeps coming off his leg and dangling, and Tina's skirt and undies are frequently going south as well ... I'm hoping I can fix them robustly enough. My mobile phone is also refusing to speak Bluetooth with the laptop so I haven't any photos on here at the moment.

I really enjoyed doing this, and I've got all sorts of plans for the next few days ...

I've been modifying the passports from the site I linked to, so that the elves live here - I'm using our 'tomte number' the number of the plot of land 17:31 rather than our house which, strangely, is 30 not 31 ... someone must have a double plot and one house I guess ... and the passport number is tied to this as well ... The passport has a set of visas on it and, conveniently enough, the last visa is for Copenhagen airport which is our closest one! I have stuck a North Pole postmark in as well. So although our elves originate here and live in the village area all year around they have obviously been up to the North Pole for a meeting/training course recently!
The passports are going to be found in the hallway on a day when I haven't got time to do anything more complicated ...

I'm going to put a knotted rope from the cellar window down to the floor - or possibly over the ladder to the ground floor - to facilitate them getting in and out of the house unobserved ... there happens to be a fantastic old bridal chest in the loft of our outbuilding (far bigger than the hatch opening) which would be a wonderful home for them to have come from, I am very very tempted to lay a trail of footprints to and from it across the loft floor ... However I'm a little wary of that because I don't know how much Robin believes in the 'real live tomte/elves of the forest' and how that might conflict with the funny games we are playing with actual doll elves ... I certainly wouldn't want to destroy any 'real' magic with the dolls!

And this years decorations for going out with the Christmas cards ... I've got into the habit of giving a tiny light gift as the postage costs are so great here ... have come in small open top wooden boxes which are the perfect size for Tomte beds ... and I have some offcuts of fleece blanket ...

Ho! Ho! Ho!
Helen

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I love the ideas and traditions you have added that come from where you are living. So very neat. I am looking forward to seeing what else they do.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Welcome!

I love your adventures :)
You are creating magical memories for your children

ScoutingSquirrel

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2011
I am really enjoying your blogs! and getting lots of ideas from the links here. We watched a video on YouTube as well ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aTO4hLLPJ8&list=PL986ACCF686F367F3&index=2&feature=plpp_video

Though I think that stealing cars might be a little too naughty for our tomtar to get up to!

Is that video made by anyone on this forum? We enjoyed it SO much! and it was a great help in introducing the magic to my boys, particularly Robin who is autistic, as it gave an idea of what some of the possibilities are ....

Anyway, better go, as I'm supposed to be walking the dog whilst hubby and boys are at a DIY shop, but I've a rope ladder to set up in the cellar beforehand!
Helen

ScoutingSquirrel

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2011
Let me see if I can include some photos ....

Hmmm ... odd .....

OK ... I'll put a link to my Facebook album and then change the privacy settings on it.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150455346859711.388996.536944710&type=1&l=3692470466

Hope that works OK! This is from arrival day, yesterday.

Today we discovered a rope ladder in the cellar from the hatch to the floor. The hatch had a little card door on it (both sides, we checked outside!) with no visible handle or keyhole. Robin says that they must have to use a secret password to get through it :)

Photos to follow ...
Now I have two little gymbag type rucksacks to sew and the passports to slip inside them ... it's hard to tell who is enjoying this game more, me or the kids!

Helen